OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 06:04:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What are your two favorite C.S. Lewis books?
Mere Christianity - 11 (27.5%)
The Screwtape Letters - 8 (20%)
Miracles - 0 (0%)
The Great Divorce - 5 (12.5%)
The Problem of Pain - 1 (2.5%)
A Grief Observed - 1 (2.5%)
The Abolition of Man - 4 (10%)
Suprised by Joy - 0 (0%)
Till We Have Faces - 2 (5%)
Space Trilogy - 2 (5%)
Chronicles of Narnia - 6 (15%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite C.S. Lewis Books?  (Read 1496 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 29, 2010, 05:45:02 AM »

What are your two favorite C.S. Lewis books? And if you feel like sharing, why did you pick the two that you picked?

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:50:14 AM »

I voted for The Screwtape Letters and The Chronicles of Narnia. I chose the first because I thought it was an enjoyable look into the hypothetical psychology of demons. I chose the second because, besides enjoying all seven books generally, Voyage of the Dawn Treader was one of my favorite books as a kid, and I really liked some of the theological imagery in The Last Battle (which was my first real exposure to theological ideas).

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:31:39 AM »

The "Space Trilogy" is not a book. It is three books.  I voted "other" because my fav. Lewis book is "Perelandra".

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:41:46 AM »

The "Space Trilogy" is not a book. It is three books.  I voted "other" because my fav. Lewis book is "Perelandra".

The Chronicles of Narnia isn't a book either, but I wasn't going to list every single book individually.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »

The Chronicles of Narnia isn't a book either, but I wasn't going to list every single book individually.

Lazy...  Grin

I put "Mere Christianity".

I'm going to need this.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »

I would have say Till We Have Faces. Not for any reason particularly profound, simply it remains the ONLY book I have read by him. Smiley

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »

Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters compliment each other so well that they almost constitute one excellent selection.  They played a pivotal role in my reevaluation of Christianity.

While I enjoyed those books immensely, The Great Divorce is a strikingly vivid depiction of how we can, through pride, hate, our warped sense of love, and failure to trust God, unintentionally prevent our own salvation.  Some examples given in the story readily apply to those we know, while others cause us to question how we would act in a similar situation.   

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »

I too love "The Great Divorce" not only for what it teaches spiritually but because it is, in places, just WICKEDLY funny!  There is one segment about a woman who can't understand why all the people she "helped" in her life seem to have vanished - it's hilarious!  One of the other characters comments:

"She's the kind of person who does things for others - you can tell the others by their hunted looks."

LOL!   (If you're interested, Daphne DuMaurier wrote a short story called "The Limpet" which has a similar character and is also very funny.)

My second choice would be "The Screwtape Letters" because even though it's so familiar, it holds up so well after all this time. And the last "letter" still brings tears of joy to my eyes.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »

Like Cognomen and for the same reasons, I also did picked Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters but was also tempted to vote for The Great Divorce.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »

Choosing just two was tough.  I went with The Great Divorce because it was my first exposure to ideas that Hell might mean more than just a place where God sent "all them people what weren't saved".  I went with the Space Trilogy because (a) it gives the most realistic account of what might happen when we imperialistic-minded humans first find alien life, (b) Perelandra was a beautiful reflection in the matter of the Fall, (c) it has That Hideous Strength which is like being able to pick both The Abolition of Man and Lewis' fictional work at the same time, being a fictional telling of the ideas presented in that book (plus it ties the Space Trilogy into Arthurian mythology).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »

I listened to Mere Christianity on CD a little while ago while driving from Scotland down to Kent. I found it excellent. Really excellent. And what was amazing was that it had been broadcast for ordinary people to hear in 10 minute snippets. Now it would never be broadcast by the BBC, and it would be assumed that no-one would be able to understand it.

But I don't think that is true. I think it remains a great explanation of 'Mere Christianity' without detracting from anything an Orthodox might then want to add.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »

What are your two favorite C.S. Lewis books? And if you feel like sharing, why did you pick the two that you picked?

My favorites are:

The Chronicles of Narnia - This series of books was charming and very truthful as it teaches deep theological lessons. CS Lewis gears this series for children but actually writes for adults.

The Problem of Pain - I loved this book and used it for examples of hypothetical sentences in my class in Teaching ESL. My professor made the comment that she felt that I was trying to convert her. The discussion on the Numinous in Chapter 1 is well worth reading.

As a linguist, I also appreciated The Space Trilogy.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:59:03 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »

My second choice would be "The Screwtape Letters" because even though it's so familiar, it holds up so well after all this time. And the last "letter" still brings tears of joy to my eyes.

I'm currently listening to an audiobook of it read by......John Cleese! It's fantastic.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 01:26:38 AM »

For me my favorites are Mere Christianity and The Abolition of Man. The latter is one of the most prophetic books written in the 20th century. He puts his very erudite finger on exactly what is plaguing our civilization today (which was still germinating in the 1940s).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 01:34:59 AM »

A Grief Observed.

Two incredibly painful losses some months ago, perhaps longer now, I am not great with time.

That book had been on my shelf for a while.

Perhaps I enjoyed it simply out of vanity or pride, because so much of what he had written I so acutely and precisely thought and felt.

I stared at the book for a long time before reading it. Never been much of a C.S. Lewis fan. I think he is a poor fiction writer and a lukewarm apologist or evangelist.

Honestly Mere Christianity would not stand up to the analysis of a moderately bright college sophomore.

But Grief written with a concision only a Brit could muster rang so true in its most self-centered, angry, and joyful moments. Absolutely, brilliant.

If his any of his other works are of a more personal nature let me know. His generosity with his pain and its ebb and flow were a greater testament to his faith and the truth of the Cross than any of the other words of his I have read.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:35:22 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:36 AM »

Gotta love The Screwtape Letters.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:13:04 AM »

If his any of his other works are of a more personal nature let me know. His generosity with his pain and its ebb and flow were a greater testament to his faith and the truth of the Cross than any of the other words of his I have read.

Then, you will also enjoy The Problem of Pain as it is his personal observations and testimony.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »

Mere Christianity - A fantastic apologetic for the Christian faith, and I love how Catholic C.S. Lewis can be.

The Abolition of Man - A pretty good discussion of where we are and where we are headed.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »

A Grief Observed.

Two incredibly painful losses some months ago, perhaps longer now, I am not great with time.

That book had been on my shelf for a while.

Perhaps I enjoyed it simply out of vanity or pride, because so much of what he had written I so acutely and precisely thought and felt.

{Snip}

But Grief written with a concision only a Brit could muster rang so true in its most self-centered, angry, and joyful moments. Absolutely, brilliant.

You're not the first person I've heard give such praise to this work.  I've intended to read it for years, but (alas) it continues to not occupy the first place in the queue. 

On a more whimsical level, C.S. would likely be appalled if you called him, "a Brit."  He was a proud, born and raised in Belfast, Irishman Wink
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:18:50 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »

*bump*

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »

I have to give the nod to Abolition of Man. If I want Christian apologetics I'd rather get it from Chesterton.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: