Poll

If Science Disproved A Religious/Theological Belief of Yours, Would You Continue To Hold To It?

Yes
19 (38.8%)
Maybe
10 (20.4%)
No
13 (26.5%)
None of the Above
7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Science and Faith Poll  (Read 5168 times)

Offline jckstraw72

• OC.net guru
Re: Science and Faith Poll
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
Thank you Dr. Mengele. You can step out of the witness box.
Why do you use the internet?  It pretty clearly is the result of advances in several sciences.  Off the top of my head, it relies on: computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering, optics, and chemistry.
That I do not take science as my master does not forbid me from taking it as my servant.

booyah!

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »
Comparing GiC to Dr Mengele simply because he supports the use of the scientific method seems like a pretty egregious ad hominem to me. :(
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
Recently, St. Tikhon's press reprinted St. Nikolai of Zica's essay The Universe as Signs and Symbols. I've ordered it, but haven't received it in the mail yet, so I can't personally comment on it, though from the description it also appears to include an outline of Orthodox natural philosophy.

Have you had a chance to read this yet? I have it on my to-buy list and was wondering how it was...
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »
Recently, St. Tikhon's press reprinted St. Nikolai of Zica's essay The Universe as Signs and Symbols. I've ordered it, but haven't received it in the mail yet, so I can't personally comment on it, though from the description it also appears to include an outline of Orthodox natural philosophy.

Have you had a chance to read this yet? I have it on my to-buy list and was wondering how it was...

Yes, I put up some quotes from it somewhere around here. It's very short but worthwhile.
"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »

Yes, I put up some quotes from it somewhere around here. It's very short but worthwhile.

Thanks, I did a search and think I found them... I'll have to make sure it doesn't get bumped down the list :)
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!