OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:51:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Google's Online Operating System Revolutionize the Computer?  (Read 707 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 28, 2010, 03:15:20 PM »

Will Google's Online Operating System Revolutionize the Computer?

That big old hard drive in your computer? Google says you don’t need it anymore. The company is also betting you won't need that Windows, Macintosh or Linux stuff either. No, Google wants you to access, operate, and edit all your files on the Internet.

To help with that, the company has developed a lightweight operating system of its own, the first new competition for Windows and Macs in years. It's called Chrome OS. And it could have a profound effect on the way we work with computers...
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »

Will Google's Online Operating System Revolutionize the Computer?

That big old hard drive in your computer? Google says you don’t need it anymore. The company is also betting you won't need that Windows, Macintosh or Linux stuff either. No, Google wants you to access, operate, and edit all your files on the Internet.

To help with that, the company has developed a lightweight operating system of its own, the first new competition for Windows and Macs in years. It's called Chrome OS. And it could have a profound effect on the way we work with computers...

This is relatively old news. It is not going to revolutionize the "computer". The "computer" is just going to disappear for most folks as a personal device.

Secure and serious operating systems will still be needed for stuff that matters. Unix will outlast them all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »

I did hear Leo LaPorte (the "Tech Guy" - KFI radio) say he recently bought s new desktop, but thinks it will be hus last, because in the future desktop PC's as we know them will be obsolete.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »

This is relatively old news.

Some of us are catching up I guess Smiley

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »

Ah, but obsolescence ain't what it used to be.  I use a double-edged safety razor because I'm a cheapskate.  I use a fountain pen because I like the way it writes.  In a world of six billion people (is it still only six?), I'd bet we'd actually find very few things that were truly obsolete and simply never seen anymore.

I think the reports of the death of desktops (and "standard" OSes) are greatly exaggerated.  I've no doubt they'll outlive me.   
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:28:49 PM »

Ah, but obsolescence ain't what it used to be.  I use a double-edged safety razor because I'm a cheapskate.  I use a fountain pen because I like the way it writes.  In a world of six billion people (is it still only six?), I'd bet we'd actually find very few things that were truly obsolete and simply never seen anymore.

I think the reports of the death of desktops (and "standard" OSes) are greatly exaggerated.  I've no doubt they'll outlive me.   

I would be hard pressed to name one person I know who has a personal desktop. They all use laptops. Soon, information will be delivered over a variety of devices as we are beginning to see.

I work for a Fortune 5. No one uses a desktop in my department. Laptops. Some folks are primarily using their Blackberries and iPhones for everything except presentations, which they have others develop for them.

I also use a safety razor, because it is just better.

And desktops and real OSs will be around as I mentioned before, because there more important things in the world to manage than which Facebook friend is within a five minute walking distance from you.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »

This is relatively old news.

Some of us are catching up I guess Smiley

No pocket protect on my shirt, I carry my stash of pens on the leg of my carpenter pants, thank you very much. And no taped eyeglasses, but I do have my Blackberry taped together currently.

Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »

So says the man with an 8 track cassette player. ROFL
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »

No pocket protect on my shirt, I carry my stash of pens on the leg of my carpenter pants, thank you very much. And no taped eyeglasses, but I do have my Blackberry taped together currently.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I consider myself a geek (albeit a cultural rather than technological one), and didn't mean anything serious by the picture. Smiley
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »

I wouldn't store my files on the internet, especially if google has any control over them.  Shocked
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »

the human is the OS, if Google has their way.   Undecided
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »

Perhaps I am too old-fashioned, but I don't like the idea of all of my files being far off on Google's servers. Even if this does get popular I will likely still use strictly Windows PCs.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

I just switched from PC to Mac because the TV ads told me to if I wanted to be cool.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 09:35:05 PM »

I wouldn't store my files on the internet, especially if google has any control over them.  Shocked
Indeed, would people have any privacy with these google servers?
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 10:31:52 PM »

Indeed, would people have any privacy with these google servers?

Ah yes, privacy! This is a very important topic for people who use any OS; I don't care how advanced it is supposed to be, I will stick with my Linux for the security and privacy that it affords me, and that I know I can keep getting the same protection years down the line.

Plus, I like to be able to tinker with the programs I have (God bless open source).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: