OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 12:49:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ the Eternal Tao  (Read 3135 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 28, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »

Could someone give a brief summary of the contents of Christ the Eternal Tao by Hieromonk Damascene?

I'm not quite sure what to make of the common argument for Christianity that might be rephrased as: "Well, it's better than suicide, right?"
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »

I have been wanting to read this book as well.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

Could someone give a brief summary of the contents of Christ the Eternal Tao by Hieromonk Damascene?

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/christ_the_eternal_tao
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »

Some of the less compelling stuff I've listened to on AFR. Seriously flawed. To imagine the degree of scholarship required to undertake such a work is staggering and even a lay person familiar with some of the material dealt with is going to have some eye-rolling moments.

But it is California. And Americans can't seem to get enough of "Taoism".

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »

Christ is the Logos. Logos is the Tao. Or something like that. Wink

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »

Some of the less compelling stuff I've listened to on AFR. Seriously flawed. To imagine the degree of scholarship required to undertake such a work is staggering and even a lay person familiar with some of the material dealt with is going to have some eye-rolling moments.

I still haven't listened to it or read the book. But I can tell by the length of the book, most of which is simply a translation of the text, that there is no way that this is rooted in real scholarship. Not that I have a problem with it being a purely theological work, I just think that many people are acting as it these claims are somehow more than theological formulations.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »

Care to expound a bit on why you think the work is 'seriously flawed'?
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »

As a Korean Orthodox Christian, I appreciated Fr. Damascene's attempt to use "Taoist" (didn't find anything particularly Daoist) concepts to explain Orthodoxy. Perhaps in the future a more scholarly book will be written. Matteo Ricci's Catholic appropriation of the Chinese classics are worth a look.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »

Care to expound a bit on why you think the work is 'seriously flawed'?

He interpolates.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 10:07:46 PM »

I agree that Fr. Damascene's characterization of "Taoism" doesn't have much relevance to Taoism as it actually exists. The division between "philosophical Taoism" and "religious Taoism," for example, is a myth cooked up by modern Confucians and Protestant sinologists in the West. And I think Fr. Damascene would admit that his work isn't really suitable in this light.

That said, his work is valuable (IMO) for taking a fresh look at Laozi that demonstrates how, like in all great philosophy, the message of Christ is hinted at in the Daodejing. I think it's a wonderful exercise in the Patristic practice of complementing Christian learning with pagan learning.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 01:38:28 AM »

That said, his work is valuable (IMO) for taking a fresh look at Laozi that demonstrates how, like in all great philosophy, the message of Christ is hinted at in the Daodejing. I think it's a wonderful exercise in the Patristic practice of complementing Christian learning with pagan learning.

Agree completely.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »

I agree that Fr. Damascene's characterization of "Taoism" doesn't have much relevance to Taoism as it actually exists. The division between "philosophical Taoism" and "religious Taoism," for example, is a myth cooked up by modern Confucians and Protestant sinologists in the West.

I'm curious about who you mean by modern Confucians.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »

I agree that Fr. Damascene's characterization of "Taoism" doesn't have much relevance to Taoism as it actually exists. The division between "philosophical Taoism" and "religious Taoism," for example, is a myth cooked up by modern Confucians and Protestant sinologists in the West.

Feng Youlan, for example.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »

Feng Youlan, for example.
What about Tu Weiming?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 02:24:16 PM »

Wouldn’t It Be Nice if Christians Became Taoists?
Hope for the Emerging Christian Church

The emerging church in the West – the church of spiritual seekers who seek to share in the journey of Jesus but not impose it on others -- is already Taoist in tone.  What remains is for participants in this new and emerging church to turn eastward, learning from Asian Christians and the cultural traditions they bring with them, and thus learning to gentle their enthusiasm with the humility of stardust.  What remains is for them to realize that one of the best ways to “proclaim the gospel” is not to proclaim at all, but rather to travel a path of gentleness, which is its own proclamation, its own good news.... 

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »

Wouldn’t It Be Nice if Christians Became Taoists?
Hope for the Emerging Christian Church

The emerging church in the West – the church of spiritual seekers who seek to share in the journey of Jesus but not impose it on others -- is already Taoist in tone.  What remains is for participants in this new and emerging church to turn eastward, learning from Asian Christians and the cultural traditions they bring with them, and thus learning to gentle their enthusiasm with the humility of stardust.  What remains is for them to realize that one of the best ways to “proclaim the gospel” is not to proclaim at all, but rather to travel a path of gentleness, which is its own proclamation, its own good news.... 

What a load of ethnic-essentialist new age BS.

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »

Matthew Gallatin, a philosophy professor, and a well-known Orthodox convert author (Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells) told me its one of the most profound books he's ever read. take that for what you will ...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: