OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 04:21:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incarnation and Evolution Process  (Read 347 times) Average Rating: 0
gregory77

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 09, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »

The more I learn about biology and the development of life on Earth, especially humanity.  I've come to think the evolutionary process isn't to far removed from the Orthodox Faith.  For example, if the fundamental mechanics of change didn't exist than theosis wouldn't be possible.  I realize the evolutionary process is almost like an icon of theosis for mankind.   Mankind came from nothing, with an outside influence that changed humanity.  It became possible for man to grow more into the image and likeness of God.  Has anyone else had any similar thoughts? 
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »

I have a similar opinion (which I posted on the evolution thread):

I see interesting parallels between the bloodline of Adam and the bloodline of the Theotokos.

As the bloodline of the Theotokos was nurtured and cultivated over generations to prepare her to bear God the Word, so too I believe was the bloodline of Adam. Both of them arose through previous generations, but each of these generations shaped the next to come, eventually paving the way for God's ultimate purpose. From the humblest of creatures arose man, the crowning glory of God's creation and the father of humanity, Adam, who through succeeding generations, eventually gave rise to the Queen of humanity, the Theotokos.

One was made worthy to bear the image of God, and the other was made worthy to bear God Himself.
gregory77

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I believe Fr. Tom Hopko expresses something very similar on the Theotokos during one of his podcast "Speaking The True In Love."  I think it was one of the recent episodes on the Old Testament or "The Incarnation - Do We Really Believe It?" on Ancient Faith Radio.

I never really thought of it in those before, very poetic.  Thanks.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »

You're welcome!  Smiley
Tags: Incarnation salvation evolution theosis 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: