OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:22:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole  (Read 1321 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: October 28, 2010, 03:34:48 AM »

Received this from a concerned mother   What opinions do people have on these books?

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/010/owls.htm
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »

I don't see much difference in this series than in the Harry Potter series, the Twilight series, etc.

These are stories. Flights of fancy, yes, but you might as well bar your children from reading the Lord of the Rings or the Chronicles of Narnia. As long as they're mature enough to understand that it is FICTION, I don't see a problem.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »

There have been many attempts by good Christian writers to "sneak in" Christian concepts into their stories in order to reach out to a greater audience. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis readily come to mind. A few weeks ago, I noticed a news article that claimed that Rowling had also done that in her Harry Potter books.

The site that Irish Hermit pointed to says "Since this book series is full of references to "Glaux" (the name of their god), some readers may even equate these "noble" tales with Christian parables. Without faith in God's Word and knowledge of His warnings, few are prepared to discern the deceptions. Enticed by the dark, scary thrills, many will gladly accept the lies."

I have not read this particular book and do not know if the author is sneaking in Christian concepts or is making his own concepts similar to Christian ones. OTH, it is true that one could be tempted by the dark side in any of these books and movies where the good and evil battle. I suspect that we can do bad and descend into evil even without such books and movies. However, as the preface to The Exorcist warns us, it is certainly dangerous to delve into the occult (as something more than fiction) as this opens up the door to the devil and his demons.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »

This is the same kind of stupidity that led teachers in my schools to forbid children from reading The Hobbit and many other works of fantasy. How many Fathers of the Church were brought up learning Homer? We can protect kids without being boors.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »

I know nothing of the book series, but some searching around on the website reveals this article: http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/05/narnia.htm which pretty much destroys all credibility of anything the web-runners have to say in my eyes.  Also to be found- the same tired attacks on role-playing games and Tolkien. 

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »

The author clearly constructed "Glaux" based upon the German word for belief "die Glaube".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »

Looking at the website, some of it sounds like Christianity. Starsight sounds an awful-lot like clairvoyance and apokalypsis.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:40:02 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »

Looking at the website, some of it sounds like Christianity. Starsight sounds an awful-lot like clairvoyance and apokalypsis.
Clairvoyance is Christian?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »

Well, my patron is Venerable Matthew, Clairvoyant of the Kiev Caves, so I assume so.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »

It's my understanding that the Church teaches clairvoyance, when truly received by the pious Orthodox Christian, is a rare gift of the Holy Spirit.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: