Author Topic: Leaving Monasticism Question  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Leaving Monasticism Question
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »
Suppose a young man or woman isn't really interested in marriage, and decides to become a monastic. Let's say that everything goes fine when they're a novice, and for the first few years after that in the monastery. Now let's say 10 years later they decide that they were wrong, that they want to be married after all, and they leave the monastery. Would this be considered a betrayal or great sin, or would it just be considered someone changing their mind?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Leaving Monasticism Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »
Suppose a young man or woman isn't really interested in marriage, and decides to become a monastic. Let's say that everything goes fine when they're a novice, and for the first few years after that in the monastery. Now let's say 10 years later they decide that they were wrong, that they want to be married after all, and they leave the monastery. Would this be considered a betrayal or great sin, or would it just be considered someone changing their mind?
Were they tonsured? If not, it is like breaking off an engagement rather than a divorce.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:01:01 PM »
If a monk is tonsured and decides to leave that is automatic excommunication, as I've been told.  I may be wrong.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
Yes, I meant a tonsured monk.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
Riassophore tonsure or little schema tonsure?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that that particular aspect of it would matter... interesting :)  Hypothetically, let's say we have one of each...

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
There are  4 stages of monasticism: novitiate => rassophore => little schema (you make vows, change name etc.) => great schema. One could quit the first two with no consequences.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:31:04 PM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
There are  4 stages of monasticism: novitiate => rassophore => little schema (you make vows, change name etc.) => great schema. One could quit the first two with no consequences.

Yes, but what are the consequences for the latter two?

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »

This is similar to what I was told by my Godfather (a monk).  A novice is not part of the Brotherhood and can come and go as he pleases.  A rassophore is a member of the Brotherhood.  Quitting as a rassophor was still not considered "of no consequence", but more like a Priest who's wife dies and he wishes to remarry.  He can no longer be a priest, but he is still a layman.  As to the schema, quitting that was not really even discussed as an option.  I got the impression that it was as Scamandrius has said.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »
However, a friend of a friend was a monk and I think he attained rassaphore "status."  He had to leave the monastery because he developed a severe allergy which prohibited him from maintaining a strict vegetarian/vegan diet.   I don't know the particulars.  He was granted leave and I don't think there were any spiritual penalties, e.g. excommunication.  I'm sure that there is some application of oikonomia, but if you just want to "up and leave", there is some consequence to that.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline John Ward

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
A rassaphore has made no vows or anything and only needs the blessing of the bishop. As for those who have the Lesser or Greater Schema...well, the only thing I can think of is that they have made their vows to God. I haven't personally heard of a monk leaving after that point, thought, doubtless they have. I would have to imagine that each one is handled differently by the bishop, depending on all the circumstances.