OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:26:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving Monasticism Question  (Read 3175 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 30, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »

Suppose a young man or woman isn't really interested in marriage, and decides to become a monastic. Let's say that everything goes fine when they're a novice, and for the first few years after that in the monastery. Now let's say 10 years later they decide that they were wrong, that they want to be married after all, and they leave the monastery. Would this be considered a betrayal or great sin, or would it just be considered someone changing their mind?

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »

Suppose a young man or woman isn't really interested in marriage, and decides to become a monastic. Let's say that everything goes fine when they're a novice, and for the first few years after that in the monastery. Now let's say 10 years later they decide that they were wrong, that they want to be married after all, and they leave the monastery. Would this be considered a betrayal or great sin, or would it just be considered someone changing their mind?
Were they tonsured? If not, it is like breaking off an engagement rather than a divorce.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:01:01 PM »

If a monk is tonsured and decides to leave that is automatic excommunication, as I've been told.  I may be wrong.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »

Yes, I meant a tonsured monk.

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »

Riassophore tonsure or little schema tonsure?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »

I wouldn't have thought that that particular aspect of it would matter... interesting Smiley  Hypothetically, let's say we have one of each...

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »

There are  4 stages of monasticism: novitiate => rassophore => little schema (you make vows, change name etc.) => great schema. One could quit the first two with no consequences.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:31:04 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »

There are  4 stages of monasticism: novitiate => rassophore => little schema (you make vows, change name etc.) => great schema. One could quit the first two with no consequences.

Yes, but what are the consequences for the latter two?
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »

This is similar to what I was told by my Godfather (a monk).  A novice is not part of the Brotherhood and can come and go as he pleases.  A rassophore is a member of the Brotherhood.  Quitting as a rassophor was still not considered "of no consequence", but more like a Priest who's wife dies and he wishes to remarry.  He can no longer be a priest, but he is still a layman.  As to the schema, quitting that was not really even discussed as an option.  I got the impression that it was as Scamandrius has said.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »

However, a friend of a friend was a monk and I think he attained rassaphore "status."  He had to leave the monastery because he developed a severe allergy which prohibited him from maintaining a strict vegetarian/vegan diet.   I don't know the particulars.  He was granted leave and I don't think there were any spiritual penalties, e.g. excommunication.  I'm sure that there is some application of oikonomia, but if you just want to "up and leave", there is some consequence to that.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »

A rassaphore has made no vows or anything and only needs the blessing of the bishop. As for those who have the Lesser or Greater Schema...well, the only thing I can think of is that they have made their vows to God. I haven't personally heard of a monk leaving after that point, thought, doubtless they have. I would have to imagine that each one is handled differently by the bishop, depending on all the circumstances.
Tags: Monasticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: