OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 03:03:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going the distance  (Read 588 times) Average Rating: 0
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »

When I discovered ancient Christianity, I immediately felt an affection and deep respect for the Eastern Fathers of the Church; and do feel a great deal more comfortable with them than those Latin Fathers such as Augustine and Jerome. I am in the RCIA program at the local RC parish in my town, and after a lot of soul searching and prayer, I've decided I need to experience an Orthodox service to see if my suspicions are right about the "East". My only problem is that the nearest Orthodox Church is about 100 miles away in Little Rock, AR. Fortunately-- and perhaps with some Divine intervention-- a friend of mine lives in the Capital and is on his own journey toward becoming an Orthodox Christian. I'm going with him to a Liturgy service in three weeks when I visit. The only question I'm having is how do I cope with being such a long distance away from the Church if I decide to join? Most of the time I'm a poor college student and driving that distance every weekend would break me.

Any one have suggestions on how to deal with the distance factor? Also prayers of support would really be helpful. I'm sure some of you sympathize with my Catholic/Orthodox situation.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:25:58 PM by Manalive » Logged

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:31:46 PM »

Where do you live in AR?

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »

I live in the Southeast corner in the college town of Monticello.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »

I live in the Southeast corner in the college town of Monticello.

This church is closest in terms of actual miles, but the drive might take longer if it's just small roads versus highways:

http://www.constantine-helen.org/

Sts. Constantine & Helen Orthodox Church
2011 Forsythe Avenue
Monroe, LA 71201

It's 78 miles away from Monticello.
authio
Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:49:36 PM »

You can find a map with a couple of options here, too:
www.orthodoxyinamerica.org

~Authio

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »

I say go with your friend to the service and don't worry about "tomorrow" (tomorrow has enough trouble of its own).  Do what you believe God is leading you to do, attend an Orthodox service.  IF you decide that the Orthodox church is the one you want to become a part of, then you'll talk with the priest to see what you should do.  Maybe, for example, there are others that live 50 miles away who attend, and you could drive there and then the rest of the way with them. Just one idea. Enjoy your visit to the liturgy!  And welcome to the board.  

BTW, I imagined that the subject matter of your post was going to be along the lines of what our priest has to remind us of often -- "He who endures to the end will be saved."  "Keep going."  That's his consistent advice to us!  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:08:06 PM by Thankful » Logged

Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »

Thanks for the links, guys. Monroe is actually closer to my location but without the interstate the drive is a bit longer! Grin

Thankful, your words and advise are very wise. I'm really excited about the visit. I am sure everything will work out with the Lord's help! Thanks for the welcome!  Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »

We're glad to have you on the forum. Please come back and share about your first service with us, if you feel comfortable doing so.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: