Author Topic: What is  (Read 958 times)

Offline Elijah

• Elder
  • God is love; be faithful un to death.
What is
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »
What is discrimination? Sometimes I think about this issue. How do you folks here see discrimination from christian point of view? How do you deal with it when you feel you are discriminated,be it at work or grocery store or places like that?
Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: What is
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
Discriminated against for what?  You mean for our faith, or for something else?  Have you had such an experience?

Offline Elijah

• Elder
  • God is love; be faithful un to death.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
Discriminated against for what?  You mean for our faith, or for something else?  Have you had such an experience?
Discrimination could vary depending on the situation, I think. You could be discriminated against another person. There could be discrimination because of what you believe in. The list goes on.
Salpy, you live in america, right? If yes, did you have that kind of experience? Did you ever feel discriminated? And how do you deal with it? 
Here is what it says on this site:
Distinguishing or differentiating. One of the principal abilities underlying any kind of cognition. However, in moral and political philosophy, the term is often confined to the unfavourable treatment of particular groups of individuals, on prejudiced and irrelevant grounds. Confusing these two senses can lead to the view that almost any description of people is politically incorrect.
http://www.answers.com/topic/discrimination

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25

Offline tomsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:04:05 AM »
Discrimination or racism is a global issue. Some try to base support of it on missapplied Bible scriptures. The word "discrimination" has many different implications nowadays, including racism. On the other hand, the Bible does promote another meaning of the term "discrimination."

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:34:49 AM »
I think discrimination has it's roots in fear and ignorance.  We all tend to be a little (or a lot) fearful of things, people, cultures, etc.. that we don't understand or that are different than what we're used to.  For example, I grew up and still live in an area that's 99% white.  The city I live in has been designated as the second whitest city of out of all the cities with populations of over 100,000 people.  As a result, (though I want to stress that the times are a-changin'), there is still a lot of fear and voluntary segregation between blacks and whites.  Speaking for myself only, it's taken quite a number of years for me to have shed my racist views towards blacks.    I can vividly recall my grandma's and grandaddy's lessons to us grandkids about black folks.  That's just how the older generation believed and I think they unwittingly passed that fear on down the generations.  I loved my grandparents and would give anything in the world if I could just have one more day with them (they've all been gone for over ten years now), but they were wrong on race relations.  But, as I said, that's just how the older folks believed.  I genuinely pray that this statement causes no distress or ill-feelings for anyone who reads this; it's just a fact of life.  Now-a-days, I regularly visit a parish with a wonderful wonderful black priest and I have a Korean-American girlfriend. 
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying