Author Topic: The hymns they sing at Communion  (Read 1519 times)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
The hymns they sing at Communion
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
I attend a parish which uses Greek and English in the liturgy. I am able to understand a modest amount of the Greek, and I sometimes use the service book to help, but the service book doesn't seem to include all of the hymns they sing while people are receiving Communion. I am not chrismated and so I don't yet go up to receive, but I thought the songs were lovely. I would much appreciate it if anyone could point out a website or a listing somewhere which indicates the usual Communion hymns one might hear in a Greek Orthodox Church. Thank you very much.   :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: The hymns they sing at Communion
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:32:32 PM »
I attend a parish which uses Greek and English in the liturgy. I am able to understand a modest amount of the Greek, and I sometimes use the service book to help, but the service book doesn't seem to include all of the hymns they sing while people are receiving Communion. I am not chrismated and so I don't yet go up to receive, but I thought the songs were lovely. I would much appreciate it if anyone could point out a website or a listing somewhere which indicates the usual Communion hymns one might hear in a Greek Orthodox Church. Thank you very much.   :)

Some chanters repeat the Entrance Hymns of the Day; some go back to the last 3 or 4 stichera from Orthros/Matins for that day.  Some do both.

Since the Entrance Hymns (and the stichera from Orthros/Matins) vary from week to week, there are many sources where one can find them.  http://www.analogion.com comes to mind.  Warning, most of this is in Greek.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »
Thank you very much.   :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Ask the choir director/head chanter.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth