OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 30, 2015, 08:33:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The hymns they sing at Communion  (Read 1454 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

fleem
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »

I attend a parish which uses Greek and English in the liturgy. I am able to understand a modest amount of the Greek, and I sometimes use the service book to help, but the service book doesn't seem to include all of the hymns they sing while people are receiving Communion. I am not chrismated and so I don't yet go up to receive, but I thought the songs were lovely. I would much appreciate it if anyone could point out a website or a listing somewhere which indicates the usual Communion hymns one might hear in a Greek Orthodox Church. Thank you very much.   Smiley

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:32:32 PM »

I attend a parish which uses Greek and English in the liturgy. I am able to understand a modest amount of the Greek, and I sometimes use the service book to help, but the service book doesn't seem to include all of the hymns they sing while people are receiving Communion. I am not chrismated and so I don't yet go up to receive, but I thought the songs were lovely. I would much appreciate it if anyone could point out a website or a listing somewhere which indicates the usual Communion hymns one might hear in a Greek Orthodox Church. Thank you very much.   Smiley

Some chanters repeat the Entrance Hymns of the Day; some go back to the last 3 or 4 stichera from Orthros/Matins for that day.  Some do both.

Since the Entrance Hymns (and the stichera from Orthros/Matins) vary from week to week, there are many sources where one can find them.  http://www.analogion.com comes to mind.  Warning, most of this is in Greek.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: GOAA

fleem
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »

Thank you very much.   Smiley

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »

Ask the choir director/head chanter.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: hymns  communion   sacrament  procession  songs  order Greek 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: