OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:30:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The hymns they sing at Communion  (Read 1341 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »

I attend a parish which uses Greek and English in the liturgy. I am able to understand a modest amount of the Greek, and I sometimes use the service book to help, but the service book doesn't seem to include all of the hymns they sing while people are receiving Communion. I am not chrismated and so I don't yet go up to receive, but I thought the songs were lovely. I would much appreciate it if anyone could point out a website or a listing somewhere which indicates the usual Communion hymns one might hear in a Greek Orthodox Church. Thank you very much.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:32:32 PM »

I attend a parish which uses Greek and English in the liturgy. I am able to understand a modest amount of the Greek, and I sometimes use the service book to help, but the service book doesn't seem to include all of the hymns they sing while people are receiving Communion. I am not chrismated and so I don't yet go up to receive, but I thought the songs were lovely. I would much appreciate it if anyone could point out a website or a listing somewhere which indicates the usual Communion hymns one might hear in a Greek Orthodox Church. Thank you very much.   Smiley

Some chanters repeat the Entrance Hymns of the Day; some go back to the last 3 or 4 stichera from Orthros/Matins for that day.  Some do both.

Since the Entrance Hymns (and the stichera from Orthros/Matins) vary from week to week, there are many sources where one can find them.  http://www.analogion.com comes to mind.  Warning, most of this is in Greek.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »

Thank you very much.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »

Ask the choir director/head chanter.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: hymns  communion   sacrament  procession  songs  order Greek 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: