OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:10:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Me an American reading in Greek. rate  (Read 779 times)
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« on: October 24, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »

Χαίρετε αδελφοί μου.
Yo since I'm learning modern Greek, and I don't know how to pronounce the other accent marks in ancient greek, I decided to read the Greek
Vamvas Bible aloud. I only know how to pronounce the accute accent.
Could someone please teach me how to pronounce the other accent marks?

Oh and please rate my pronunciation of Greek. Wink
Sadly my mic kind of makes me voice sound very low, so you might need to raise your volume up a bit. I wish I had a regular good working mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DT9bi-qM7M
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »

the other marks don't inflect on your voice at all, just the acute accent. 

You need to go over some basic grammar things with your professor.  Ask him/her about the antecedent, the cedent & there's a third part of the word that I can't remember right now. 

Depending on where the accent is, that is how you pronounce the rest of the word. 

Most of what you said wasn't that bad, but there's some words you have problems with (longer words) and also things like "ou, oti, ouk, outo, auto," etc.   Those you had some definite problems with.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »

You need to go over some basic grammar things with your professor.  Ask him/her about the antecedent, the cedent & there's a third part of the word that I can't remember right now. 

Depending on where the accent is, that is how you pronounce the rest of the word. 

Most of what you said wasn't that bad, but there's some words you have problems with (longer words) and also things like "ou, oti, ouk, outo, auto," etc.   Those you had some definite problems with.
Thanks for responding. so overall how did I sound?
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:44:34 AM »

Thanks for responding. so overall how did I sound?

I would give you a 6-7 out of 10.  there is definite room for improvement in several areas, but you were understandable.  I would say you're very close, but like i said...you need to iron some things out.  Listening to Greek all the time is very helpful.  being surrounded by it or even immersed in it is even better.  Listening to recordings of the psalms, or gospel lessons, etc. I think will help you because then when you see the word you'll already know what it's supposed to sound like. 

Beyond that, you should definitely check with your professor about how to pronounce things, especially about rules on accents and all that.  That was very helpful for me. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: Greek 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: