OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:32:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction and Hello!  (Read 1370 times) Average Rating: 0
herbalgirl

Faith: Orthodox inquirer

« on: October 24, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »

Hello!  I joined this message board/forum last week and thought I had better introduce myself to you all.  

My husband and I are inquirers of a local OCA parish.  We've been attending Sat. Vespers and the DL for approx. a month now.  We also just started up the inquirer's class last Wednesday.  The people at this church are very welcoming, which makes it a bit less overwhelming for us.

I should mention we are coming from a Calvinist background, having attended mostly PCA churches for the past 8 years.  We are a military family, thus we move a lot and have to find a new church each time.

I have been interested in and have been reading about Orthodoxy for about 2 years.  My husband, up until about a month ago, really had no interest.  He was quite happy to be Calvinist.  However, he would see me reading my Orthodox Study Bible or an Orthodox book and ask a question or two occasionally.  Sometimes, I would pipe up and say, "Hey, listen to the Orthodox take on this!", for example, the virginity of Mary.  Something that seems so, well, obvious to the Orthodox, for us it was as if a lightbulb went off.  Wow.  We'd never thought of it that way before.  

After this 5 week inquirer's class is up, we can decide to become catechumens if we and the priest think we're ready.  I feel pretty much ready now, but my husband is still wrestling with some things.  It isn't so much that he doesn't believe what EO teach about free will or Mary, etc, but that he has to make peace with it in his mind.  Not to mention, his dad and stepmom are very staunch Calvinists who have already given him a earful about us going to an EO church.  As a friend told us, who also converted from Calvinism to EO, one has to really take off the Western lens that they've been looking through and learn a whole new way of seeing things.  

We also have 5 kids (and are expecting #6!), which keep us busy and slightly distracted during the service.  I really appreciate how children can move more during the DL.  At our old church, they were to sit in the pews for the whole time.  

Lastly, I just want to say thank you so much for having this forum.  I can't believe I didn't know about it until now.  It has truly been a help for both myself and my husband.  We've spent quite a few evenings reading various postings!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:36:38 PM by herbalgirl » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:41:44 PM »

Hello!  I joined this message board/forum last week and thought I had better introduce myself to you all.  

My husband and I are inquirers of a local OCA parish.  We've been attending Sat. Vespers and the DL for approx. a month now.  We also just started up the inquirer's class last Wednesday.  The people at this church are very welcoming, which makes it a bit less overwhelming for us.

I should mention we are coming from a Calvinist background, having attended mostly PCA churches for the past 8 years.  We are a military family, thus we move a lot and have to find a new church each time.

I have been interested in and have been reading about Orthodoxy for about 2 years.  My husband, up until about a month ago, really had no interest.  He was quite happy to be Calvinist.  However, he would see me reading my Orthodox Study Bible or an Orthodox book and ask a question or two occasionally.  Sometimes, I would pipe up and say, "Hey, listen to the Orthodox take on this!", for example, the virginity of Mary.  Something that seems so, well, obvious to the Orthodox, for us it was as if a lightbulb went off.  Wow.  We'd never thought of it that way before.  

After this 5 week inquirer's class is up, we can decide to become catechumens if we and the priest think we're ready.  I feel pretty much ready now, but my husband is still wrestling with some things.  It isn't so much that he doesn't believe what EO teach about free will or Mary, etc, but that he has to make peace with it in his mind.  Not to mention, his dad and stepmom are very staunch Calvinists who have already given him a earful about us going to an EO church.  As a friend told us, who also converted from Calvinism to EO, one has to really take off the Western lens that they've been looking through and learn a whole new way of seeing things.  

We also have 5 kids (and are expecting #6!), which keep us busy and slightly distracted during the service.  I really appreciate how children can move more during the DL.  At our old church, they were to sit in the pews for the whole time.  

Lastly, I just want to say thank you so much for having this forum.  I can't believe I didn't know about it until now.  It has truly been a help for both myself and my husband.  We've spent quite a few evenings reading various postings!

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I used to be Baptist and I can relate with the family issues (wife not wanting much to do with Orthodoxy, earfuls from mom and grandma), so I know how it can be. Hopefully this forum will be a great tool for you to use as you delve deeper into the Orthodox Church!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »

Greetings from Warsaw!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Looks like that local OCA parish will be blessed with seven (I m counting the baby) new members. Glory be to God!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
authio
Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »

Welcome to OC.net!  I hope your experience will bring you peace as you discern God's Holy Will.

I think you will also be excited to know that the Orthodox Churches in America have military chaplains in the Armed Forces.  The program is administered by the OCA, and their page is located here: http://www.oca.org/DIRlists.militarychaplains.asp?SID=9

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Orthophoria

Faith: Orthodox - Newly Illumined

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »

Welcome to the Forum!   Grin

I am relatively new myself, both to the forum and to Orthodoxy; I have been a catechumen in an OCA parish since around June, coming from an Episcopalian background (via Pentecostal and Catholic.. Shocked )
herbalgirl

Faith: Orthodox inquirer

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »

Welcome to OC.net!  I hope your experience will bring you peace as you discern God's Holy Will.

I think you will also be excited to know that the Orthodox Churches in America have military chaplains in the Armed Forces.  The program is administered by the OCA, and their page is located here: http://www.oca.org/DIRlists.militarychaplains.asp?SID=9

Once again, welcome to the forum!

How neat!  I will pass this on to my husband. 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.  Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »

Welcome!

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:12:08 PM »

Beloved in the Lord,Herbal girl,

The purpose of the Convert issues forum is to provide a a place on the OC.Net where inquirers, catechumen, and newly converted could ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. I hope you find this a safeplace to get direct and simple answers with resources from our members.

Thank you for your kind words about the Convert Issues Forum. Again welcome to the forum.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:55:54 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »

Hello and welcome.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

I was born and raised in the former Soviet Union, and I was never baptized at all as a child. My whole upbringing and education was completely non-religious and, at times, anti-Theist. However, my home city, the capital of Ukraine, Kyiv ("Kiev," Russian pronounciation) has always been a citadel of Holy Orthodoxy; so, from my early childhood on, I have heard church bells, seen beautiful icons and murals in Kyiv churches, and heard the breathtaking sound of the choirs at the St. Volodymyr Cathedral, the church that happened to stand in just a few blocks away from my parents' apartment. That planted some seed in me.

When I came to the USA in 1990, being already in my 30-s, I wandered for a while, and, in late 2002, bumped into a Presbyterian congregation, and was baptized there. At first, I enjoyed the Bible studies with my parish members, and was impressed by what, back then, looked to me like a logically perfect "system" of Calvinism. Yet, in just a few years, I was utterly disappointed by the, how should I better put it, dryness, "left brain-ness," hyper-rationalism of what Calvinists tried to deduce from Scriptures. And I, most of all, sensed a lack of what I had experienced back home, during my occasional (and sometimes secretive) visits to Kyiv churches: the CHURCH. In an Orthodox parish, any parish, no matter what else, I sensed what a Protestant theologian called Paul Tillich used to call "the feeling of the immediate presense of the Holy." In my Presbyterian congregation, and, for that matter, anywhere except in an Orthodox parish, I did not have that feeling, no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that "it was the right place." Even when I was elected a Presbyterian elder in 2004, I still did not develop that unique, undescribable feeling.

In October 2006, I severed my ties with the Presbyterian congregation, and soon found the Orthodox Church. I was finally received into the Church in February 2007, and I am, currently, a member of a Greek Orthodox mission parish in Aberdeen, MS (about 50 miles from where I live). Believe it or not, now, as I am studying Holy Orthodoxy, including some important works of the Holy Fathers of the early Church, I see that Calvin and his Western European followers were severely misguided and often utterly naive. I am a bad, weak Orthodox; I might misunderstand, and even sometimes rebel against, some Orthodox teachings; and yet, what I learned while being Orthodox is so much richer, more historically rooted, more comprehensively Christian and Apostolic than the attempts of the so-called "Reformers" to rationalize from Scriptures.

Whatever experience you have and will have, - my all best wishes to you, and may the Lord illumine your heart and your path to the Truth.

George

Love never fails.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »

Welcome!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »

Hello and welcome

Mathe 24:36
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:30 AM »

Welcome herbalgirl!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »

Welcome. I have been Orthodox since Holy Saturday 2005 and my conversion experience was almost immediate. I had only returned to Christ in 2003 but was unsure where to go and by August 2004 I thought I would join a Pentecostal church & was to be baptised at that time. For some reason though the Orthodox church of my paternal grandparents (who were long gone) lingered in the back of my mind and I skipped the intended baptism and went to my first Divine Liturgy at the Antiochian church they were of and I never looked back & decided within a few weeks to become a catechumen. I just observed the pattern of worship that began with Moses and that is fulfilled in our Lord's Eucharist. I am single so I did not have to resolve any issues with anybody.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:34:21 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Onuphrius23

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »

Welcome to the forum!!  I'm military .  I can certainly understand what you are going through when you move from one place to another.  I will pray for you and your family.  I was a Roman Catholic Chaplain within the Canadian Forces for a number of years. My deep faith has always been Orthodox.  That's only one of my personal paradox, soon to be solve I hope. 
Onuphrius

PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 06:19:48 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  I'm a mama to 6 as well.  It's wonderful when the church is full of kids.  So glad you've found a welcoming parish.
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »

Welcome Onuphrius23 .

I hope that you will find the Convert Issues forum to be place where you as an inquirer may ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum.  We try to provide an understanding of the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. We try to keep our answers direct and simple with sources if possible.

For those who are converts, this forum is a safe place to discuss issues that arise after one converts in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. We try to avoid jurisdiction debates and you may find a the topic that will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate if it strays from the guidelines of our Forum Purpose.

Again I want to welcome you warmly to the Convert Issues Forum and hope you will enjoy your time as a member here.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator 

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »

It's wonderful when the church is full of kids. 

Yes, it is! And as a lady of (ahem!) - shall we say...- more mature years, I would just like to assure all the young mothers: Don't worry if your children get a little restless or act up. They are not disturbing me one bit, and I don't mind holding your baby if you need a break! (I will however give them back to you if they need to be changed!;D)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
johngregory

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 02:04:18 AM »

Hi friend, i am very happy to see you here.. i am also newbie here.. keep sharing useful info..
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: