OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:26:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commentary on the Epistles of St. John the Theologian, by St. Justin Popovich  (Read 753 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« on: October 24, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »

I recently received Commentary on the Epistles of St. John the Theologian, by St. Justin Popovich. As I expected, this little book (94 pp.) is filled with interesting thoughts. Regarding 1 John 5:16, St. Justin seems to have a slightly different perspective than other Fathers, saying:

"He shall not pray for a sin unto death. But Why? Because man with his entire being, soul, and consciousness has voluntarily entered into sin and remains there consciously and voluntarily, and does not want to renounce it and hate it. This is already a 'second death' from which one cannot resurrect. On such a man, God neither desires nor wants to forcefully impose repentance...  If he were to do that, He would cease to be Love. Ceasing to be love, God would cease to be God. That is the reason why the holy Seer of Mysteries advises not to pray for a sin unto death. In this manner we receive directions from God concerning what to pray to God for and what not to pray for." - p. 79

St. Justin also decries humanistic culture even in these commentaries, for example saying:

"Christians are fellow helpers to the truth. This is their calling and duty. Non-Christians, whether consciously or unconsciously, are fellow helpers of falsehood. If man does not serve the true God, Christ, he serves some other god or other ‘ideal,’ for every other god or ideal is a false god. Heathenism and idolatry are serving someone or something in place of Christ God: whether it is serving a human being like a god or a hero, a prophet, a wise-man, a genius, a military leader, a scientist, or any living being from a maggot to an angel; or any creation from an atom to the universe; or any idea, culture, civilization, philosophy, science, art or technology. If man sees the purpose and meaning of his life in something other than Christ, he is an idolater and a heathen. Through this, he is a fellow helper of falsehood.” - pp. 91-92

St. Justin also had this to say about wicked people…

"Wicked people are, as a rule, atheists whether openly or secretly. They proclaim that there are good people among the atheists. True, atheists can be temporarily good, superficially good--pharisaically good. But the atheist cannot be truly good, constantly good, deeply good, immortally good, because to be all of this it is necessary to be in a spiritual bond, in a spiritual relation, truly, with the Only Good One and Eternal Good One: God, the Lord Christ The words of the Savior have rung true throughout all the ages: Without Me ye can do nothing (John 15:5)." - p. 93

Generally the book is not so negative, the above are just the passages which caught my eye. Of course much of what St. John writes about is love and truth and virtue, so that is mainly what St. Justin is talking about in this book. I’d definitely recommend this work.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:36:59 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »

I recently received Commentary on the Epistles of St. John the Theologian, by St. Justin Popovich. As I expected, this little book (94 pp.) is filled with interesting thoughts. Regarding 1 John 5:16, St. Justin seems to have a slightly different perspective than other Fathers, saying:

"He shall not pray for a sin unto death. But Why? Because man with his entire being, soul, and consciousness has voluntarily entered into sin and remains there consciously and voluntarily, and does not want to renounce it and hate it. This is already a 'second death' from which one cannot resurrect. On such a man, God neither desires nor wants to forcefully impose repentance...  If he were to do that, He would cease to be Love. Ceasing to be love, God would cease to be God. That is the reason why the holy Seer of Mysteries advises not to pray for a sin unto death. In this manner we receive directions from God concerning what to pray to God for and what not to pray for." - p. 79

St. Justin also decries humanistic culture even in these commentaries, for example saying:

"Christians are fellow helpers to the truth. This is their calling and duty. Non-Christians, whether consciously or unconsciously, are fellow helpers of falsehood. If man does not serve the true God, Christ, he serves some other god or other ‘ideal,’ for every other god or ideal is a false god. Heathenism and idolatry are serving someone or something in place of Christ God: whether it is serving a human being like a god or a hero, a prophet, a wise-man, a genius, a military leader, a scientist, or any living being from a maggot to an angel; or any creation from an atom to the universe; or any idea, culture, civilization, philosophy, science, art or technology. If man sees the purpose and meaning of his life in something other than Christ, he is an idolater and a heathen. Through this, he is a fellow helper of falsehood.” - pp. 91-92

St. Justin also had this to say about wicked people…

"Wicked people are, as a rule, atheists whether openly or secretly. They proclaim that there are good people among the atheists. True, atheists can be temporarily good, superficially good--pharisaically good. But the atheist cannot be truly good, constantly good, deeply good, immortally good, because to be all of this it is necessary to be in a spiritual bond, in a spiritual relation, truly, with the Only Good One and Eternal Good One: God, the Lord Christ The words of the Savior have rung true throughout all the ages: Without Me ye can do nothing (John 15:5)." - p. 93

Generally the book is not so negative, the above are just the passages which caught my eye. Of course much of what St. John writes about is love and truth and virtue, so that is mainly what St. Justin is talking about in this book. I’d definitely recommend this work.

Awesome!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: