OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:57:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coming Mormon-Muslim Alliance  (Read 1646 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 23, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »

The signs are already here. Muslim students from Gaza are heading to BYU -- and they like it! Shocked

"As of how a Muslim like myself would end up being on a Mormon campus is a long story. But to make a long story short, I was interviewed in Gaza by two BYU professors who offered me a scholarship to attend this church-sponsored university. Many college students come to Utah only to be surprised how different it is from what they thought college life would be or what Hollywood told them it would be like. Alcohol, caffeine, Greek life and drugs are all replaced with root beer, brownies, church activities and ice cream. Making this conservative place a comfortable home for many Muslims."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me. Islam and Mormonism have strikingly similar beginnings if you really think about it.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »

True about their beginnings, but mormons and muslims getting together?  It never crossed my mind.  Shocked
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me. Islam and Mormonism have strikingly similar beginnings if you really think about it.

I'm pretty sure the same angel of light started both religions.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »

We had Jehovah's Witnesses at our door today (didn't open it to them).  I wondered today before seeing this topic.....what would happen had Jehovah's Witnesses/Mormons came knocking at the door or Muslims.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »

Calvinism and Islam are also strikingly similar.

With Calvinism, it's "once saved always saved", so if later you disbelieve, then what? With Sharia law, it's almost in practical terms "once Muslim, always Muslim", because Sharia law says that a forced convert is not a Muslim, but maybe it also says something about killing apostates. Calvinist "theocracies" in Massachusetts and Switzerland killed heretics too.

With Calvinism, religious paintings are bad. Same thing with Islam.

Intense simplification, pointing to the Bible and the Quran as THE sacred text, disregard for earlier religious traditions. In Islam, the angel came down to Muhammed and that's it, nothing since. Very simplistic, peeling away all the traditions and religious paintings.

Fr Hopko said that "new" religious phenomena, like Pentecostals speaking in tongues are not completely new, there were similar elements in earlier sects.

Islam is also like Jehovah Witness in the sense that they believe Jesus was a created being, although they respect him.

Bahai, Islam, Mormonism, Calvinism, Pentecostals, JWs, some new Asian religions and many other new religious movements base themselves on Jesus, calling him a prophet or even divine being.

Still, many Asians have not heard of Him, Judaism rejects Him, and the Orthodox Church keeps the traditions and faith of the early church. Some things sadly take a while to fulfill. However, having the faith of the early church cannot be a matter of conceit for us- since for example, sometimes it seems that the church itself has changed its position on things, like iconoclasm.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:47:35 PM by rakovsky » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:32:35 PM »

But I think you're missing my point. I wasn't talking about the similarities between what Muslims and other quasi-Christian sects believe, since that's not really relevant to this thread. I was talking about the similarities between how the Muslim and Mormon sects began and grew into what they are today.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:34:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:41:47 PM »

With Calvinism, it's "once saved always saved", so if later you disbelieve, then what?

Then you didn't really believe and weren't really saved in the first place (note, I am quoting a serious Calvinist friend of mine on this one). A person has to persevere to their death for their faith to have been legitimate.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »

With Calvinism, it's "once saved always saved", so if later you disbelieve, then what?

Then you didn't really believe and weren't really saved in the first place (note, I am quoting a serious Calvinist friend of mine on this one). A person has to persevere to their death for their faith to have been legitimate.
DVE, let us please work to keep this thread on topic. Thank you.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »

Besides the similar origins, it seems hard to see an alliance between "there is no God, but Allah" and "every man, woman, and child is a god in embryo, who if following the Word of their Father will grow to share and make Glory".

I'm going to need this.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »

But I think you're missing my point. I wasn't talking about the similarities between what Muslims and other quasi-Christian sects believe, since that's not really relevant to this thread. I was talking about the similarities between how the Muslim and Mormon sects began and grew into what they are today.
Yes, there should be some similarities. Islam does have certain compulsion in its society that forced them to stay Muslim. Is there similar pressure in Mormonism to stay Mormon?
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »

Yes, there should be some similarities. Islam does have certain compulsion in its society that forced them to stay Muslim. Is there similar pressure in Mormonism to stay Mormon?

There is a lot of pressure in Mormonism to stay Mormon.

I'm going to need this.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »

To keep the thread on topic, I am not debating this doctrinal invention, rather trying to show that there is a similarity between the spread of Calvinism and Islam, and show that this is part of a general phenomenon with the spread of Islam and Mormonism: part of the doctrine results in intense social pressure to conform.

In Islamic Sharia law, one must have a real, sincere conversion. Then Sharia law says that if you leave, bad things happen. The community members are all supposed to reject you at best. That's alot of pressure to stay in Islam.

Likewise, Calvinism invented the doctrine, like you said, that if you disbelieve then "you didn't really believe and weren't really saved in the first place." In practical terms, the effect is that you have young people in Calvinist families who grow up assuming (and therefore believing) that what they were taught is true, but then they get older and have all kinds of religious doubts about the Calvinist system. "Maybe all the non-born agains aren't going to hell?", "Maybe the Orthodox are right?"

But how can they express these doubts? They have spent years telling the family they believe 100%, and now they have doubts? they question? That is not the sign of the saved, but the sign of the unsaved. There is lots of pressure in the society to rigidly conform to the Calvinist system without saying significant doubts or suggest that they could be wrong. No exploration of non-Calvinist ideas, only risk of rejection if you do so.

That is how Islam spreads- you get in, the others keep you in with lots of pressure.
That is how Calvinism spreads- if you get in, it means you believe 100%, you are chosen irresistibly, so you cannot disagree with the system without showing yourself to be one of the "Totally Depraved" and risking ostracization.

In fact, in the pure Calvinist societies of Massachusetts and Switzerland, they did kill some they labeled heretics.

I understand that Muslim societies and Calvinist groups often do not work this way in reality (see for example many liberal Muslims in the former Soviet Union and common liberal attitudes in the modern-day Presbyterian Church USA). However, that is the way the school of thoughts works. If you leave, you get punished, or if you express disagreement, you get ostracized as a non-saved who deceives by claiming to be saved.

Of course, these schools of thought are problematic, which is why many movements coming from Islamoc Sharia or Calvinism, often fail to follow it exactly, if not in theory then in practice, Inshallah - God willing!

Regards
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:23:58 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »

Can you please talk about this? I heard there were some Mormon researchers who thought Mormonism actually allows women to have more of a role in their community. They printed their findings, and got expelled by some kind of Mormon court.

Scientology also has something called disconnection, where your families can't talk to you if you leave. Maybe some Amish do this with shunning.

Thus, we can look at the spread of some problematic schools of thought like Mormonism, Shariah Islam (I am not sure if that is all Islam), Scientology, Calvinism, and Amish, that are stronger because of doctrines that by definition make it hard to explore other ideas and leave.

However, one can argue back that these forcing doctrines might in fact push people away from them, since forcing doctrines are problematic- if it is the truth, why suspect people who explore disagreements, rather than address them as sincere.

Like Jesus talked about salt that loses its savor, can he not also find the stray sheep?

Further, one can point out that Jesus was actually rejected by the Chosen People. So it appears that unlike these post-Christian doctrines, God doesn't use "social acceptance" by one's peers as The Criterion to show that one has Right Faith (Orthodoxy).

Remember that the apostles questioned among themselves? One has to think about one's questions and pray.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:32:40 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »

Can you please talk about this? I heard there were some Mormon researchers who thought Mormonism actually allows women to have more of a role in their community. They printed their findings, and got expelled by some kind of Mormon court.

Mormon women do not have a priestly role, however, in the community they are expected to be the 'perfect wife'. The 'companionship role' is especially strong. Similarly, they are expected to to tend not only to their family, but to the needs of others within the community. Beyond, being a good neighbor, they fill many of the head roles in the church such as 'relief committee', adult and children 'catechism' study, taking care of the temple, etc.

Mind you, you don't 'sign up' for a position in the Mormon church. You're given a calling by your stake president or bishop (all men are priests who rotate in roles). This calling is considered a calling from God Himself, and should not be turned down, no matter the personal inconvenience.

There have been multiple "Mormon whistleblowers" who question Mormon practices or origins. In LDS, you DO NOT say anything against the church or you'll be excommunicated. Recent examples include:
David Wright (1994, for articles questioning the historicity of the Book of Mormon, Michael Barrett (1994, for writing letters to correct news stories about Mormonism), Brent Metcalfe (1994, for the anthology "New Approaches to the Book of Mormon"), Janice Allred (1997, for submitting theological papers to a Sunstone symposium), Margaret Toscano (2000, for writing on feminist issues), Shane LeGrande Whelan (2002, for his book, "More Than One: Plural Marriage, A Sacred Heritage, A Promise For Tomorrow").

The church is focused entirely on family. The Godhead is made of three separate persons. God the Father (Heavenly Father), is the literal father of your preexistent soul, who has a literal physical flesh body. Jesus Christ is the firstborn of these spirits and is the only born divine. The Holy Spirit is the only person of the Godhead to have spirit only.

So, from the get-go, the family unit is a small representation of the bigger picture. If you are Mormon and get 'sealed' in the temple through a 'celestial marriage', your marriage is seal forever so that you will exist together, married in heaven.

Just a touch on the theology, but you can see that if you left Mormonism, you are leaving EVERYTHING. You have turned you back on God, your family, your community, everything.

I'm going to need this.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »

The signs are already here. Muslim students from Gaza are heading to BYU -- and they like it! Shocked

"As of how a Muslim like myself would end up being on a Mormon campus is a long story. But to make a long story short, I was interviewed in Gaza by two BYU professors who offered me a scholarship to attend this church-sponsored university. Many college students come to Utah only to be surprised how different it is from what they thought college life would be or what Hollywood told them it would be like. Alcohol, caffeine, Greek life and drugs are all replaced with root beer, brownies, church activities and ice cream. Making this conservative place a comfortable home for many Muslims."

I saw it as a possibility in regards to the Polygamy issue. But not in regards to this.

Mormons are moral people and so alot of muslims should find their culture appealing.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »

To keep the thread on topic, I am not debating this doctrinal invention, rather trying to show that there is a similarity between the spread of Calvinism and Islam, and show that this is part of a general phenomenon with the spread of Islam and Mormonism: part of the doctrine results in intense social pressure to conform.

In Islamic Sharia law, one must have a real, sincere conversion. Then Sharia law says that if you leave, bad things happen. The community members are all supposed to reject you at best. That's alot of pressure to stay in Islam.

Likewise, Calvinism invented the doctrine, like you said, that if you disbelieve then "you didn't really believe and weren't really saved in the first place." In practical terms, the effect is that you have young people in Calvinist families who grow up assuming (and therefore believing) that what they were taught is true, but then they get older and have all kinds of religious doubts about the Calvinist system. "Maybe all the non-born agains aren't going to hell?", "Maybe the Orthodox are right?"

But how can they express these doubts? They have spent years telling the family they believe 100%, and now they have doubts? they question? That is not the sign of the saved, but the sign of the unsaved. There is lots of pressure in the society to rigidly conform to the Calvinist system without saying significant doubts or suggest that they could be wrong. No exploration of non-Calvinist ideas, only risk of rejection if you do so.

That is how Islam spreads- you get in, the others keep you in with lots of pressure.
That is how Calvinism spreads- if you get in, it means you believe 100%, you are chosen irresistibly, so you cannot disagree with the system without showing yourself to be one of the "Totally Depraved" and risking ostracization.

In fact, in the pure Calvinist societies of Massachusetts and Switzerland, they did kill some they labeled heretics.

I understand that Muslim societies and Calvinist groups often do not work this way in reality (see for example many liberal Muslims in the former Soviet Union and common liberal attitudes in the modern-day Presbyterian Church USA). However, that is the way the school of thoughts works. If you leave, you get punished, or if you express disagreement, you get ostracized as a non-saved who deceives by claiming to be saved.

Of course, these schools of thought are problematic, which is why many movements coming from Islamoc Sharia or Calvinism, often fail to follow it exactly, if not in theory then in practice, Inshallah - God willing!

Regards
But this isn't about Islam and Calvinism. This is about Islam and Mormonism.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:57 AM »

I saw it as a possibility in regards to the Polygamy issue. But not in regards to this.

Mormons are moral people and so alot of muslims should find their culture appealing.
I think the Mormon-Muslim Alliance (or MMA) will probably center around polygamy and the constitutionality of polygamy (or, more accurately polygyny), along with support of a greater 'moral public' (more restrictive zoning laws, maybe even greater restrictions on the selling of alcohol, e.g.). 'Moral public' issues wouldn't be all that strange to conservative Protestants (see the Blue Laws).

The MMA will be mostly a political alliance, within a secularized America no longer dominated by a Protestant mainstream. With Protestants no longer presenting a united front with will and purpose, the Mormons will have an opportunity to step up to the plate, with support from Muslims.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:58:50 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 10:31:57 PM »

I think the Mormon-Muslim Alliance (or MMA) will probably center around polygamy and the constitutionality of polygamy (or, more accurately polygyny), along with support of a greater 'moral public' (more restrictive zoning laws, maybe even greater restrictions on the selling of alcohol, e.g.). 'Moral public' issues wouldn't be all that strange to conservative Protestants (see the Blue Laws).

The MMA will be mostly a political alliance, within a secularized America no longer dominated by a Protestant mainstream. With Protestants no longer presenting a united front with will and purpose, the Mormons will have an opportunity to step up to the plate, with support from Muslims.

I agree!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 12:56:36 AM »

Looks like nobody told the Muslims that the Mormons are outright polytheists who believe in a multitude of gods, but that their obligation is only to one.  Factor in also that every good Mormon becomes a god himself in the next life with his own world and band of worshippers and you have screaming red flags of shirk everywhere that would stop a Muslim's heart.  I keep having to explain to those of them who travel westwards and whose small exposure to Christianity is restricted to the religion of their fellow countrymen that where they're heading the label Christian is one of the loosest labels and amongst the most cheaply bandied about and adopted.  In fact, I would just as likely have to tell Middle Eastern Christians the exact same thing, for whom 'Christianity' simply means 'apostolic'.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »

Looks like nobody told the Muslims that the Mormons are outright polytheists....
Isn't that what Muslims already think about Christians? I figure Mormons are thinking, "Hey, they already think that the Trinitarians are polytheists. Might as well go all the way!" Cool
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:50:29 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »

Mormon teachings on God and the trinity would place them under the category of "polytheists", even more so than Catholic, Orthodox, or Reform. You can't pick a group more at odds with the main tenet of the Islamic faith. And yet the conservative lifestyle fits them better than your average lapsed Christian.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:10:17 PM by John Larocque » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »

I should clarify that 19th-century Mormons mostly engaged in polygyny, but some degree of polyandry (one woman married to two or more men) did occur.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »

AFAIK Mormons are Polytheists. Interesting choice for a Muslim to chooce Polytheist university over normal one.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »

I remember this way back in 1983.  I thought it strange then.  My opinion hasn't changed.

Btw, BYU is doing a LOT of top notch stuff in Arabic and Islamic studies now, e.g. their excellent publication of Islamic(ate) philosophy in Arabic and English.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: