OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 12:12:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fr.Xavier(Ksawery) Knotz OFM: Catholics and sex  (Read 1423 times) Average Rating: 0
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: October 22, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/poland/101015/catholic-priest-sex-guru

I expect that everyone in the world will eventually hear about this.
http://rt.com/Top_News/2009-03-20/Catholic_monk_s__Good_Sex_Guide_.html

Look at the video at rt.com.. Somehow, the church outside of the West was not so severly affected by the Council.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »

I have been wondering what is the sense of a Monk writing a book about sex.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »

Honestly, I don't like this guy and I very strongly dislike the thing he is doing. He recently traveled to Ukraine and caused an uproar there; I was stunned by the overwhelming reaction of my Ukrainian friends, which was something like, "see, Catholics are so rational, progressive, open minded - they talk about SEX, not like you, stupid, narrow-minded, antiquated Orthodox..." It just makes me laugh to even think that a Capucin monk tours Ukrainian cities and teaches young Ukrainians what real sex is. All his lectures in several Ukrainian cities were titled, "The True Sex You Still Know Nothing About." Ridiculous.

Love never fails.
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

But Fr.Ambrose here does the same thing yet there is no hype about it. Why is that?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »

Even if he does so, he doesn't want to become a celebrity because of this.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »

Much of this is actually true. A satisfying sex life will help a lot in marriage. Of course, ideally, sex drive would play a lesser part, but we don't live in an ideal world. Many people strugle with many sins at the same time, and we must have focus on the battle knowing that we will not leave this life sinless. I know a couple of people who, without being monks, decided to take sex out of their lives. Overral, they are ok, but it has cost them a lot in terms of falling to other sins: vanity, pride, contempt for people with even small sexual sins.

In that perspective, that a husband and wife find out together what they like to do in bed, with respect for each other, is a lesser problem. A passion is a passion, even between spouses, and ideally, alternative forms of sex which are triggered basically by passions, would not exist where passion does not. But, as it's been said, this is a war, and in a war, many times, we have to choose the less bad of two options.

Said that, I think the role of the *priest* should be to help quench the passions. I don't know if he says that "all this is well, but we should really try to have a relationship that is not so dependent on sex. In fact, sex intercourse will die with this body, but love will not. This is the time to learn how to have pleasure with love. If we only have pleasure with orgasms, we will find ourselves out in deep pain in the after life where we can't have them. But love will be there. We need to learn how to love 'love'."

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »

In that perspective, that a husband and wife find out together what they like to do in bed, with respect for each other, is a lesser problem. A passion is a passion, even between spouses, and ideally, alternative forms of sex which are triggered basically by passions, would not exist where passion does not. But, as it's been said, this is a war, and in a war, many times, we have to choose the less bad of two options.

Is a passion a passion?

Love, even sexual love (Eros), is not necessarily sinful in itself. Isn't it the perversion of the emotion, to desire for the sake of desire, devoid of love, that is sinful.

Another example would be anger. Anger in itself isn't necessarily separation from God (sin), it's the hate and rage from giving into the anger that produces the separation.

I'm going to need this.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »

Is a passion a passion?

Love, even sexual love (Eros), is not necessarily sinful in itself. Isn't it the perversion of the emotion, to desire for the sake of desire, devoid of love, that is sinful.

Another example would be anger. Anger in itself isn't necessarily separation from God (sin), it's the hate and rage from giving into the anger that produces the separation.

Spousal love is Eros. And Eros is not only the sexual desire we can feel for our spouse, or, in fact, for just about anyone that fits our "standars" as a sexual partner. Eros, in itself, is not at all sinful, and nor is, by the way, sexual desire. Sexual desire is just like hunger, something that "happens" to us and if we treat it like a pet, "teaching" how to behave it's not a problem.

The passion problem, in patristic terms, is that what is natural may become a compulsion, or may be directed towards things it was not meant to be directed at.  So, sexual drive can be directed toward specific parts of the body (legs, eyes, smiles, hair, feet, etc) or of the personality of the person (intelligence, humour, pride, social status, vices, virtues), while they should be directed at the whole person. They can be directed at people of the same sex, of both sexes, of different ages, at animals, plants, objects or at a different new person each time. It can be addicted to certain things like power-games, images, role-plays, pain, humiliation. It can be directed at nothing in particular just needing to be "felt" by whatever means. And it can be any combination of the formers.

These are all "catamerisms"of sex, where something that is meant to be integrated in the committed love of the whole person is, unfortunately, attached to a part of the feeling itself, or the imagination or of the person. It's shattered desire, weakend. It's like a person who has lost the sense of taste and thus require even stronger and more exotic spices to just be able to feel something.

The "danger" in any form of alternative sex is that it *can* escalate and numb the very sense of sexual pleasure it supposes to be stimulating. Sex is pretty much like alcohol. It's pleasurable, in small dosis it's even healthy, but it can and often leads people to very dark paths. Plus, it will die with this body. So it's not a trustable pillar for a relationship. Only love is.

So, for example, if two spouses start relying on sexual satisfaction for their relationship, it may happen that one of them will have desires the other does not want to satisfy. It may destroy the relationship. Or worse, the corruption of one may drag the other and that spousal love that was made to make them both rise to heaven, will make them descend even faster to hell.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:57:16 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tags: Polish Poland 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: