OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 09:22:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reviews of the Jordanville Prayer Book  (Read 2207 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 01:32:01 PM »

I prefer translating into "Mother of God" when the Greek text uses variations on "Ματηρ Θεου" and Theotokos when the Greek text actually says "Θεοτοκος." It provides a linguistic continuity, a slightly more accurate translation and is just more poetic, in my opinion. But, that's just an opinion.

As far as the Jordanville is concerned, I really enjoy it. I'm a big supporter of Liturgical English, which sounds quite similar to King James English. It is usually fairly theologically accurate, as well as conveys the beauty of the Liturgy. The Jordanville can be somewhat clunky for those not used to older English and seems to, at times, stick closer to the syntax of the original language that what is comfortable for the average English-speaker.

In short: It could take some warming-up to, but I've found it to be an accurate, beautiful and edifying translation.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags: Jordanville Prayer Book 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: