OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:35:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That Gliese "Goldilocks Zone" planet may not exist.  (Read 402 times) Average Rating: 0
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« on: October 20, 2010, 04:00:09 PM »

Sorry GiC. Grin  That planet that was thought to have been found in the Goldilocks Zone of a nearby (only 20 light-years away!) may not actually exist due to lack of further evidence.

http://news.discovery.com/space/gliese-581g-and-the-nature-of-science.html
Amid the breathless excitement of finding a potentially habitable exoplanet, there's been a bit of a buzzkill cropping up in the news. At an exoplanet conference in Turin, a Geneva-based team announced that they have not found evidence of Gliese 581g, casting a shadow of doubt on its discovery in the minds of some. What does this really mean?

The Geneva team used data from HARPS, or the High Accuracy Radial Velocity for Planetary Searcher, a powerful spectrometer on a 3.6-meter telescope in Chile. HARPS has been enormously successful at detecting exoplanets using the radial velocity method, or measuring the gravitational tugs on stars by their planets by watching the stars' spectral lines "wobble" back and forth due to the Doppler effect.

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the article, though I'm not sure why you said "Sorry GiC". Unless I'm missing something, this is just science working the way it's supposed to work.  police

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »

Thanks for the article, though I'm not sure why you said "Sorry GiC". Unless I'm missing something, this is just science working the way it's supposed to work.  police

lol

I'm just poking at GiC. He brought up 'a recently found planet that could support life' in another thread.

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »

lol

I'm just poking at GiC. He brought up 'a recently found planet that could support life' in another thread.

Ahh, ok Smiley

Tags: planet 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: