OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 11:03:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy St. Patrick's Day!  (Read 2533 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« on: March 17, 2004, 11:06:19 AM »

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Plans?

Cabbage without the corned beef?  :-

Here are some links on St. Patrick:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11554a.htm

http://www.saintpatrickcentre.com/

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=89

I am not endorsing these links. I am just providing them for our members to check out. Decide for yourselves whether or not you like them.

Perhaps someone else would like to post some other links.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 11:19:56 AM »

I'm not Irish. I don't celebrate this holiday.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 11:41:59 AM »

I'm only part Irish, but Patrick was a great saint.  Smiley

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 12:09:35 PM »

What?  No icons?  Tongue

http://www.oca.org/pages/dwp/large.asp?saintid=100824

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 12:31:36 PM »

Happy Saint Patricks Day, everybody in the USA is Irish, now where did them leprechauns hide me Bushmills !

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 12:42:17 PM »

Happy Saint Patricks Day, everybody in the USA is Irish, now where did them leprechauns hide me Bushmills !

james

Not fair, james, 'tis a Fast Day!

{Please don't tell me the Bushmills is the single-malt one, please don't....}

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 12:58:14 PM »

Because one has to be the ethnicity of a saint to celebrate his feastday?
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 01:22:13 PM »

For all my fasting brethern, I will toast a double shot in your honor.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 01:37:27 PM »

I don't know...if we amercians sometimes take a break from the fast for Thanksgiving(a Calvinist attempt to replace celebration of the Nativity), I would much rather take a somewhat break and have a glass of Guinness or two to celebrate St. Patrick.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 02:07:37 PM »

Not fair, james, 'tis a Fast Day!

{Please don't tell me the Bushmills is the single-malt one, please don't....}

Demetri

I don't appreciate this holiday being crammed down my throat. While at Michael's yesterday, I passed a huge display of St. Patricks Day items. Gigantic pins and ribbons that screamed: "Kiss me I'm Irish". Do you ever see pins that say: Kiss me I'm Serbian? Umm no.
There are at least 10 documentaries on right now about the plight of the Irish. America is full of immigrants and not just Irish.

What makes this day so special? There are thousands of other saints that should be celebrated. Americans have tarted up this day and turned it into another day to pig out on cheap beer, over done potatoes and red meat.

I don't doubt St. Patrick was a holy man, but I don't like the revelery and the "fake" Irish pride.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 02:27:12 PM »

Apparently, in some places are schools that call today "Leprechan Day" in order to remove the Christianity.  (I googled this and there is a "Leprechaun Day in May, I have no idea why.)  

Anyway, this came up in the children's sermon at church on Sunday.  On being told "Leprechaun Day" our priest said "OK, Christian Education time." and asked if anyone knew who St. Patrick was.  I was quite chuffed that my 8 y.o. daughter raised her hand and proceeded to tell about the saint and being captured by pirates and going to Ireland and escaping and becoming a priest and going back to Ireland to preach.  It's nice when they remember things you've taught them.  I'll bet it was the pirates that helped her remember it.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 02:52:09 PM »

Apparently, in some places are schools that call today "Leprechan Day" in order to remove the Christianity.  (I googled this and there is a "Leprechaun Day in May, I have no idea why.)  

Anyway, this came up in the children's sermon at church on Sunday.  On being told "Leprechaun Day" our priest said "OK, Christian Education time." and asked if anyone knew who St. Patrick was.  I was quite chuffed that my 8 y.o. daughter raised her hand and proceeded to tell about the saint and being captured by pirates and going to Ireland and escaping and becoming a priest and going back to Ireland to preach.  It's nice when they remember things you've taught them.  I'll bet it was the pirates that helped her remember it.

Ebor

That's so great! I live in a college town, I'm willing to wager most of them  couldn't tell you who St. Patrick was.
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 02:53:05 PM »

Because one has to be the ethnicity of a saint to celebrate his feastday?

BTW. I quoted the wrong post in my first response. This is who I mean to quote. Sorry!  Tongue
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 04:26:04 PM »

Ah, God help you! But don't mind me, I'm one of these strange Irish people who actually live in Ireland, instead of in Amerikay  Tongue

Beannachtai na Feile (Blessings of the Feast)

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 04:32:28 PM »

BTW. I quoted the wrong post in my first response. This is who I mean to quote. Sorry!  Tongue

No offense, PhosZoe (great screen name, BTW). Anyway, maybe you need to visit  Pittsburgh - a REAL ethnic paradise. I don't begrudge the Irish-Americans being Irish and St. Patrick is a Saint...

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 05:18:06 PM »

No, St. Patrick was not Irish!

If at all, he is Scot having been born in Scotland of Roman parents, who were in Scotland as "overseers" of this (Scotland) Roman territory.

He did go back to Ireland already a Bishop long after his sojourn there as a slave (captured by marauding pirates into the British Isles when he was only 14 but escaped when he was 20 so the story goes) to evangelize and convert the heathens which he did successfully for the entire nation of Ireland.

He died in Ireland and all these events in his life happened in the 4th-5th Century.  At that time, he belonged to the undivided Church and East and West should be able to venerate this very popular saint.

Being "Irish" once a year has become a "tradition" among many, including our City of Chicago, which celebrates the Saint's feast day with 2 "official" parades for Northsiders and Southsiders. Heck, the city even colors Chicago river (including all of its branches) green for crying out loud.

Chicago mayor, Richard M. Daly, who is an unabashed Irish, and aspiring pseudo-Irish politicians vie for attention during the parades participated in and witnessed by numerous ethnic groups over and above the authentic Irish.

For his unbelievable work in Ireland, no wonder he IS the Patron Saint of that country and and of all Irish throughout the world!

Let's celebrate with them and drink all the beer and eat all the corned beef until we are green in the gills! Grin

Amado
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2004, 06:02:41 PM »

Simply brilliant, I'll drink to that.

Guiness commercial's are great!

james

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2004, 07:02:49 PM »

I wish folks would make observances for other saints days besides St. Patrick. It just made me so happy to see dozens of students wearing green for his day, even if their intent is purely secular. Nonetheless, Beannachtai na Feile!
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2004, 09:12:21 PM »

If at all, he is Scot having been born in Scotland of Roman parents, who were in Scotland as "overseers" of this (Scotland) Roman territory.

Close. He was of Roman descent but the Roman territory of Britannia where he was from didn't include Scotland - I think Hadrian's wall was built as the Roman boundary/defence.

I think the now-gone Picts lived in what's now Scotland during Roman rule; by Patricius' time perhaps the Scots had migrated there from Ireland.

In any event, he may have been partly Celtic as were many other people in Roman Britain but not a Scot.

There are items about the saint, his feast-day and the American bacchanalia derived therefrom on my blog, both this week and a year ago.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 10:30:31 AM by Serge » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2004, 10:52:54 PM »

Yes, I believe St. Patrick was a Romano-Briton, especially since he hailed from near Dumbarton in the region of the "Strathclyde Welsh" (Britons), and tradition says his parents were "Calpurnius and Conchessa."

Whatever his ethnicity, St. Patrick was a great man of God and is a great saint.

May he pray for all of us sinners on this his feast day.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2004, 11:03:15 PM »

Thanks for the link Serge, it resembles the Hallmark Channel's "Patrick" that aired earlier this week.

What's that Irish saying, "May you be in Heaven 3 days before the devil knows you're gone".

Happy Guinness Day,

james

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2004, 12:01:44 AM »

St. Patrick was a Frobisher!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: