OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The numbers game  (Read 1507 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: November 30, 2002, 12:35:51 PM »

In the thread on the reviving monastery in Kosovo, Abdur exclaimed that Orthodoxy may die a slow death in America. This might happen. At the very least it'll shrink as third- and fourth-generation ethnics leave as they assimilate. But it has a fighting chance owing largely to the small countercurrent that is the convert phenomenon, represented by most Orthodox active online.

Which got me thinking about another phenomenon, which doesn't make institutional Orthodoxy in America look too good - fibbing about numbers of members. A friend once reckoned that if one jurisdiction's real membership were as big as it claims there'd be thousands of people in each congregation and no such congregation exists. The inflated number of all Orthodox in America is about 4 million, topping the Episcopalians, but it's safe to say Episcopalians, themselves an always small and now shrinking denomination, still outnumber Eastern Orthodox. Some places count all baptized members, not just practising members (who I think only total in the 10,000s for all EO groups in the US), which makes some sense, but another counts all members of its ethnic group - people who 'should' be _____ (name the ethnicity) Orthodox (grandparents were at least nominal members, etc.). Foul!

Why lie?

Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 12:18:45 AM »

:oMama Mia!  I would not have thought the Orthodox numbers to be so small.  No wonder most Protestants don't even know Orthodoxy exists.  If your numbers are correct they are almost right.

Dan Lauffer
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 01:12:27 AM »

Those numbers of 4 million Orthodox are inflated.  Many times, those numbers only refer to those baptized and do not refer to practicing members.  I believe to that the numbers of world Orthodox are also inflated.  By that I mean they only count those baptized into the faith and not those that actually practice the faith which is much lower.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
emmaus
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 06:25:13 AM »

Those numbers of 4 million Orthodox are inflated.  Many times, those numbers only refer to those baptized and do not refer to practicing members.  I believe to that the numbers of world Orthodox are also inflated.  By that I mean they only count those baptized into the faith and not those that actually practice the faith which is much lower.

The same must be said of Catholics and Protestants, as well as "professors" of other faiths.

Abdur
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 10:25:47 PM »

Liars figure, and figures lie.  

Who cares how many Orthodox there are worldwide as long as it is the right belief.  Its not important to belong to the largest religious sect because if it were, I would have to consider becoming muslim.  And I dont see that happening in my lifetime.  Remember there were only several thousand Christians in the world after Pentecost but they were correct.
JoeS
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: