Author Topic: St. Athanasius and the book of Esther!!  (Read 2261 times)

Offline copticmind

• Personal blog
St. Athanasius and the book of Esther!!
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
Did St. Athanasius really exclude the book of Esther from his biblical canon??
It's a claim that I bumped into while viewing  a video on YouTube, and then found the same info in Wikipedia!
I find this a bit confusing and couldn't find more info about this issue in a more reliable source. So what do you think? can any one provide me with reliable source that proves or disproves these claims?? Thanks

George
Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Re: St. Athanasius and the book of Esther!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
Esther wasn't even accepted by Jewish authorities until well into the Christian era.

Father Peter
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:08:26 AM »
It's a claim that I bumped into while viewing  a video on YouTube, and then found the same info in Wikipedia!
I find this a bit confusing and couldn't find more info about this issue in a more reliable source. So what do you think? can any one provide me with reliable source that proves or disproves these claims?? Thanks

Here is what St. Athanasius had to say about the canon. At the end St. Athanasius includes Esther in a group of books that are not canonical, but which new Christians read for instruction.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »

Here is what St. Athanasius had to say about the canon. At the end St. Athanasius includes Esther in a group of books that are not canonical, but which new Christians read for instruction.

I've always wondered why these books were considered particularly appropriate for neophytes. There doesn't seem to be anything especially introductory about them.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline copticmind

• Personal blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »
well, I am now more confused!!
if Esther is not canonical according to St. Athanasius, who made it canonical??
and in general, what were the criteria for including a book or excluding it?? and who was responsible for these decisions? I have always thought that the Bible was collected by the guidance of the Holy Spirit..
According to what is understood from Revelation 22:18-19, it is not a man's decision to add or omit from the Bible!! or did I get it wrong??
Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ