OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 05:51:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Weekly Eucharist in Ukrainian Orthodox Church?  (Read 613 times) Average Rating: 0
Libertas

Faith: Ukrainian Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church of Canada

+ St Maximos, pray for us sinners!

« on: October 17, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »

I've attended two Liturgies at a Ukrainian Orthodox parish, which is the entire month's worth of services. There was no Communion at all except for a couple of infants at the last service. Instead, at the end of the service, the faithful go up, venerate the cross and icons, and eat blessed bread.

Is this peculiar to this parish or is it fairly consistent among the Ukrainian Orthodox? Is there a significance behind this practice? (I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the tradition is that the Eucharist is only served at feasts or something? I expected it might be monthly, but it appears not to be so, so far.)

This is all out of curiosity, by the way.  Cheesy
Libertas

Faith: Ukrainian Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church of Canada

+ St Maximos, pray for us sinners!

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:42:55 PM »

I just realized this should probably be moved to the "Liturgy" forum.  Undecided
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »

As with any other jurisdiction, there are "frequent communion" parishes and "infrequent communion" parishes, and of course some that are a mix of people who are accustomed to one or the other.   The one you attended has the practice of "infrequent communion."   
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:09:26 PM »

As with any other jurisdiction, there are "frequent communion" parishes and "infrequent communion" parishes, and of course some that are a mix of people who are accustomed to one or the other.   The one you attended has the practice of "infrequent communion."   

But in these parishes, what are the regular times when people partake? How often is it usually?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »

But in these parishes, what are the regular times when people partake? How often is it usually?

Every time.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:35:03 PM »

Every time.

No, I meant the "infrequent" parishes. Sorry for not being clearer.

My parish is frequent, or every time, as long as the person has confessed and fasted in preparation. Many in our parish are converts, and we have been trained to partake as often as possible, keeping in mind our spiritual state. It seems that mostly the Serbs and Eritreans hardly ever go up for communion, but I don't pay too much attention so I am not sure.

But there is no pressure to partake, and some parishioners almost never take communion, except maybe on Pascha or their family's slava.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:38:27 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »

Every time.

No, I meant the "infrequent" parishes. Sorry for not being clearer.

My parish is frequent, or every time, as long as the person has confessed and fasted in preparation. Many in our parish are converts, and we have been trained to partake as often as possible, keeping in mind our spiritual state. It seems that mostly the Serbs and Eritreans hardly ever go up for communion, but I don't pay too much attention so I am not sure.

But there is no pressure to partake, and some parishioners almost never take communion, except maybe on Pascha or their family's slava.

Srbs or majority where taught not to approach unprepared ...Fast for seven day's Confession then Holy Communion..That's why you won't see us approaching more often...We know the consequence of partaking unworthily... The Modern Priests may tell us to Approch more often ,But our Parents taught us Otherwise ,now who do we lisen too ....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:09:41 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

Srbs or majority where taught not to approach unprepared ...Fast for seven day's Confession then Holy Communion..That's why you won't see us approaching more often...We know the consequence of partaking unworthily... The Modern Priests may tell us to Approch more often ,But our Parents taught us Otherwise ,now who do we lisen too ....

Fasting in my church is every week Wednesday and Friday and then any other days that are required, and then a strict fast (no food or drink of any kind) from midnight the night before Holy Communion until you lips touch the Eucharist. You also are expected to do the entire Order of Preparation for Holy Communion (which takes me about an hour) either the night before or morning of. This way you can partake every week, also with weekly confession unless your conscience is totally clear for the week, then you must still get a blessing to receive. To me this system seems anything but lax, but it is very achievable while being simultaneously rigorous.

I love this system, as it keeps me disciplined, prepared and accountable for my actions, but gives me the life-giving Body and Blood almost every week, sometimes more than once a week. It is changing my life.

Frequent communion is a very bad thing if there is no fear and reverence for the Eucharist, and if people just approach every week without any preparation at all. I pray to God that this is not so, but I have a hunch that this happens with many people. They just go up no matter what, and might be harming themselves in doing so.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:32:37 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 06:17:31 PM »

Is there a significance behind this practice?

A couple of articles regarding the issue:
- http://www.orthodoxchristianbooks.com/articles/328/-frequency-communion/
- http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7510
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: