OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:14:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you pray through the Orthodox version of the Rosary?  (Read 932 times) Average Rating: 0
chaplain76

« on: October 16, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »

I am interested in learning to pray the Rosary because I have heard that it is a great, tactile way to focus during prayer.  I think my prayer life has suffered because as busy as I am, it is difficult to find that quiet place where I am completely relaxed and focused on God's presence.

I own a Catholic Rosary that a friend from Brazil gave me, but I have been hesitant to use it because as a Protestant, I have a hard time feeling comfortable reciting the "hail Mary." 

I understand that the Orthodox version is quite different.  Is there a website where I could learn the Orthodox method for praying the Rosary/or is there a good explanation you can give me here?  Also, is there a reputable spot on the web I could order the rope/beads from?

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ (Titus 2:11).
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »

but I have been hesitant to use it because as a Protestant, I have a hard time feeling comfortable reciting the "hail Mary."

Well, if that is the issue, I doubt you should be any more comfortable with an Orthodox version.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »

The Orthodox Rosary is, simply, the Jesus prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner," repeated on the knots of a prayer rope (komboskini/chotki).  The simplest prayer ropes have 33 knots; it's usual to start out with one of those and work up to a rope with 100 knots or more.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »

The Orthodox Rosary is, simply, the Jesus prayer. . .

This term is broader than that. It can mean as well (1) the Prayer Rule of the Mother of God (Богородичное Правило) which was used by St. Seraphim of Sarov, and (2) the Scriptural Rosary which is prayed by some communities and individuals of the AWRV.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:02:08 PM by Michał » Logged
Tags: prayer rosary 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: