Author Topic: Calvinism = ... Pelagianism!  (Read 1028 times)

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
Calvinism = ... Pelagianism!
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »
2 Corinthians 5:14
For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
Great point from Energeticprocession blog:
If all are dead, Christ dies for all

Christ does not die for all

Therefore not all were dead.

Or

If Christ dies for all, then all are dead

All are not dead

Then Christ does not die for all-he dies for some or none.

Here it is easy to see the connection between Limited Atonement and Pelagianism, that is there are some men who have no need of Christ. I know it is quite ironic and one wouldn’t expect this to be the case and I am certainly not the first to point this out.
[emphasis added]

Ironic indeed. How embarrassing for Calvinists.
1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Calvinism = ... Pelagianism!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
Well, it's a fun polemical trick, but don't expect Calvinists to be very impressed. For this to stick, you have to first get past the rather tortuous Calvinist arguments about what "all" means (or "the world" in John 3:16).
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline ComingHome

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
Iconodule is correct.  The laborious attempts of Calvinists to prove that "all" does not mean "all" are enough to drive one to the brink.  The Calvinists I have encountered tend to be so convinced that handwriting on the wall would not induce them to change--fortunately the Holy Spirit can!

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
Well, it's a fun polemical trick, but don't expect Calvinists to be very impressed. For this to stick, you have to first get past the rather tortuous Calvinist arguments about what "all" means (or "the world" in John 3:16).

Certainly. But it is indeed a fun polemical trick.
1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.