OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:49:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Father Seraphim Rose Icon  (Read 2808 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« on: October 15, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

Considering his belief in the toll houses, would it be wrong of me to print out an icon of Father Seraphim Rose to add to my corner?

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:15:29 PM »

No. Many saints believed in the tollhouses.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »

A rather touching photograph of Archbishop Lazar of the OCA, a very committed anti-toller, censing an icon of Fr Seraphim Rose, a very committed toller

Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »

I assumed so, thought I'd consulted the much more learned people on here though first.

Thanks.  Smiley

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »

Considering his belief in the toll houses, would it be wrong of me to print out an icon of Father Seraphim Rose to add to my corner?
Has the doctrine of the toll houses ever been condemned as heresy?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:49:49 PM »

In September-December 2001, in the official periodical  "Tserkovnaya Zhizn'" (Church Life) published by the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Aboard, there was an article on the toll houses by Protopresbyter Vassily Boshchanovskiy.

This article, approved by the bishops, describes the toll houses as an illustrative metaphor.  In other words it is in the same category as The Ladder of Saint John Climacus.

Neither the Ladder not the Toll houses can be seen as heretical if they are only illustrative metaphors.  If, however, somebody wishes to raise either of them to the level of doctrine or dogma the suspicion of heresy could be raised.

Thoughts from the edge of the world.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »

A rather touching photograph of Archbishop Lazar of the OCA, a very committed anti-toller, censing an icon of Fr Seraphim Rose, a very committed toller

Photo doesn't want to show so I have put it at the bottom of the message.  Hope that works.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »

As a fellow believer in the toll houses, you would get no objection from me.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »

(Not speaking of the sainthood, but merely about the potential for a saint being wrong about something...) no, there'd be nothing wrong with that: saints were always wrong about something, and sometimes about things much more important on the dogma/doctrine/opinion scale (though I admit that I can't recall a saint essentially writing an entire book about a subject about which they were wrong).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:35:43 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »

Is that picture not in a church? How can there be an icon of Seraphim Rose in a church if he is not glorified?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »

is that picture real?! i find that very hard to believe ...
Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »

(Not speaking of the sainthood, but merely about the potential for a saint being wrong about something...) no, there'd be nothing wrong with that: saints were always wrong about something, and sometimes about things much more important on the dogma/doctrine/opinion scale (though I admit that I can't recall a saint essentially writing an entire book about a subject about which they were wrong).

That is an interesting point.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 12:45:48 AM »

Many thanks, he is very inspiring.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 01:18:39 AM »

He's a saint. I love him, and plan to fly out to Platina whenever the day comes that he's glorified.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »

In September-December 2001, in the official periodical  "Tserkovnaya Zhizn'" (Church Life) published by the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Aboard, there was an article on the toll houses by Protopresbyter Vassily Boshchanovskiy.

This article, approved by the bishops, describes the toll houses as an illustrative metaphor.  In other words it is in the same category as The Ladder of Saint John Climacus.

Neither the Ladder not the Toll houses can be seen as heretical if they are only illustrative metaphors.  If, however, somebody wishes to raise either of them to the level of doctrine or dogma the suspicion of heresy could be raised.

That was a rhetorical question.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »

He's a saint. I love him, and plan to fly out to Platina whenever the day comes that he's glorified.
And I as well! I was talking to some monks about it at Holy Cross Hermitage and they said it would be great if he could be glorified on the 30th anniversary of his repose. Perhaps that will happen? In any event, I plan on purchasing an icon of Blessed Seraphim of Platina (I pray to him as a Saint in my private prayers) as soon as I can find a nice one and I would love to visit Platina, even if for a short period of time. I am so inspired by this holy man and all that he did to make the Holy Orthodox Faith of Jesus Christ accessible to us unworthy ones.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »

It was a very good question since the answer will be useful to people.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 05:35:02 AM »

In September-December 2001, in the official periodical  "Tserkovnaya Zhizn'" (Church Life) published by the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Aboard, there was an article on the toll houses by Protopresbyter Vassily Boshchanovskiy.

This article, approved by the bishops, describes the toll houses as an illustrative metaphor.  In other words it is in the same category as The Ladder of Saint John Climacus.

Neither the Ladder not the Toll houses can be seen as heretical if they are only illustrative metaphors.  If, however, somebody wishes to raise either of them to the level of doctrine or dogma the suspicion of heresy could be raised.

But I had hoped that Antonis would find the answer to my question himself and see how the answer applies to his question. Not every question demands that someone else answer it, which you had already done many times before.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:36:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 05:42:51 AM »

Father, is this article available anywhere online (in English or Russian)?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »

[
Father, is this article available anywhere online (in English or Russian)?

I do not know if it is on the Internet but I can send it to you if you would like.  Do you have an e-mail address in your profile?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 06:07:42 AM »

In September-December 2001, in the official periodical  "Tserkovnaya Zhizn'" (Church Life) published by the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Aboard, there was an article on the toll houses by Protopresbyter Vassily Boshchanovskiy.

This article, approved by the bishops, describes the toll houses as an illustrative metaphor.  In other words it is in the same category as The Ladder of Saint John Climacus.

Neither the Ladder not the Toll houses can be seen as heretical if they are only illustrative metaphors.  If, however, somebody wishes to raise either of them to the level of doctrine or dogma the suspicion of heresy could be raised.

But I had hoped that Antonis would find the answer to my question himself and see how the answer applies to his question. Not every question demands that someone else answer it, which you had already done many times before.

Priests are conditioned to answer questions.  It becomes the habit of a lifetime to try and assist the faithful.  laugh
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »

I do not know if it is on the Internet but I can send it to you if you would like.

I will be grateful.

Do you have an e-mail address in your profile?

I believe I have now (until a moment ago I had it hidden).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:15:43 AM by Michał » Logged
Vlad
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 10:47:28 PM »

Same here. And I have always thought the Toll house theory was an opinion so it wasnt heretical or canonical. I happen to believe it.
brittrossiter

jasonrossiter
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »

I have an Icon of Fr. Seraphim Rose in my prayer corner as well - just a couple of feet to my left as I type this.  He has been a tremendous inspiration to me personally, and I pray for his intercession daily. 
Tags: icons toll houses saints Fr. Seraphim Rose Seraphim 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: