Author Topic: I think I have just been banned from CAF  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Wandile

• Peter the Roman
  • Archon
  • Love God with All your heart and all your Soul
  • Faith: Holy Catholic Church - Latin
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria
Re: I think I have just been banned from CAF
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 05:09:30 AM »
I have just been restored on CAF
Good to hear.

but I suspect I will be banned soon because my posts won't change.
Why not? Have you ever considered the possibility that it might not have been your disagreements that got you temporarily banned, but rather the tone and attitude in which you expressed your disagreements?

The tomne is very hard to convey... you could be very calm and level headed while using the "H" word but once they see that word no matter what you say, you're seen as uncharitable even when telling the truth is one of the greatest acts of charity.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:11:06 AM by Wandile »
"We shall steer safely through every storm, so long as our heart is right, our intention fervent, our courage steadfast, and our trust fixed on God"
-St. Francis De Sales

Venerable Benedict Daswa and Blessed Isidore Bakanja, Martyrs of Africa, pray for the Church today

You are welcome to send me private messages but I don't post publicly anymore

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 05:14:30 AM »
Say it in Afrikaans.   They'll never catch on.    :laugh:

Offline Cyrillic

• Make OC.net Great Again!
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 06:06:34 AM »
Why would you want to stay there? CAF sucks.
That is the land of lost content,          
  I see it shining plain,   
The happy highways where I went   
  And cannot come again.
-A.E. Housman

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
It's good to hear that your account is back.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: An Addendum

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »
Why would you want to stay there? CAF sucks.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »
On the rare occasion, CAF can have interesting conversations pop up. The best ones are when someone starts a thread about Orthodoxy and then Eastern Catholics try to correct Orthodox people about Orthodoxy. Those threads are always fun.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: An Addendum

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »
I like internet Catholicism. It's a nice reminder that Catholicism is really not as unified as some people seem to deem it to be.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:35 AM »
The tomne is very hard to convey... you could be very calm and level headed while using the "H" word but once they see that word no matter what you say, you're seen as uncharitable even when telling the truth is one of the greatest acts of charity.

Lol.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »
I like internet Catholicism. It's a nice reminder that Catholicism is really not as unified as some people seem to deem it to be.

Right. It's like the yin to the Orthodox Internet yang, where everybody seems like a crazy person but if you go to an actual parish people are pretty normal.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »

Right. It's like the yin to the Orthodox Internet yang, where everybody seems like a crazy person but if you go to an actual parish people are pretty normal.

+1
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Diego

• Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »
What is the "H" word?

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »

Really, who are the some people who deem it so?  I've never met any and I know a lot of Catholics in my own family.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »

+1

+2

Really, who are the some people who deem it so?  I've never met any and I know a lot of Catholics in my own family.

Catholicism around here is even more miniscule than Orthodoxy and people who convert to a religion with much ideals and too little contact to day-to-day life of religion tend to act weird.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »

Yup. Internet faith communities can be a bit like the wild west, ime.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »

I hope you are not under any illusions about OC.net, though. You will find a number of posters here who show little enthusiasm for the councils or what the Fathers have to say about certain subjects.

And the H word, or links to lectures about the H word by Father Josiah Trenham, are not allowed here either.

Offline Wandile

• Peter the Roman
  • Archon
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2016, 09:03:45 PM »

lol I would but I don't speak Afrikaans
"We shall steer safely through every storm, so long as our heart is right, our intention fervent, our courage steadfast, and our trust fixed on God"
-St. Francis De Sales

Venerable Benedict Daswa and Blessed Isidore Bakanja, Martyrs of Africa, pray for the Church today

Offline Wandile

• Peter the Roman
  • Archon
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »

St. Mary at Akita 1973

"The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals, and bishops against other bishops. The priests who venerate me will be scorned and opposed by their Confreres. The Church and altars will be vandalized. The Church will be full of those who accept compromises and the demon will press many priests and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord."

St. Antony of Egypt (251-356)

"Men will surrender to the spirit of the age. They will say that if they had lived in our day, faith would be simple and easy. But in their day, they will say, things are complex; the Church must be brought up to date and made meaningful to the day's problems. When the Church and the World are one, then those days are at hand. Because our Divine Master placed a barrier between His things and the things of the world."

Venerable Bartholomew Holzhauser (17th Century)

"The fifth period of the Church, which began circa 1520, will end with the arrival of the holy Pope and of the powerful Monarch who is called "Help From God" because he will restore everything. The fifth period is one of affliction, desolation, humiliation, and poverty for the Church. Jesus Christ will purify His people through cruel wars, famines, plagues, epidemics, and other horrible calamities. He will also afflict and weaken the Latin Church with many heresies. It is a period of defections, calamities and exterminations. Those Christians who survive the sword, plague and famines, will be few on earth. During this period, many men will abuse of the freedom of conscience conceded to them. It is of such men that Jude the Apostle spoke when he said, "These men blaspheme whatever they do not understand; and they corrupt whatever they know naturally as irrational animals do." They will ridicule Christian simplicity; they will call it folly and nonsense, but they will have the highest regard for advanced knowledge, and for the skill by which the axioms of law, the precepts of morality, the Holy Canons and religious dogmas are clouded by senseless questions and elaborate arguments. These are the evil times, a century full of dangers and calamities. Heresy is everywhere, and the followers of heresy are in power almost everywhere. but God will permit a great evil against His Church: Heretics and tyrants will come suddenly and unexpectedly; they will break into the Church. They will enter Italy and lay Rome waste; they will burn down churches and destroy everything."

The first and the last seem similar to what we have started seeing since the 20th century. St Anthony's prophecy sounds awfully a lot like the language used at Vatican II... just thought this would be interesting :)
-St. Francis De Sales

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »

lol I would but I don't speak Afrikaans
Oh... In that case, it's "hel."   Totally inconspicuous.   

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2016, 02:14:55 AM »
Join the club

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2016, 08:55:18 AM »
On the rare occasion, CAF can have interesting conversations pop up. The best ones are when someone starts a thread about Orthodoxy and then Eastern Catholics try to correct Orthodox people about Orthodoxy. Those threads are always fun.
You said "try to." Does that mean they often do it wrongly?
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »

Well it has only come up on a few occasions. At one point, I got into an argument with one who insisted that the Eastern view on marriage was a product of historical invention and due solely to the intermixture of Church and State in Byzantium (as though this only occurred in Byzantium). They mostly relied on John Meyendorf for the argument. I still have the feeling that they misrepresented Meyendorf, but at the time I did not have access to his works. Additionally, they tended to ignore any Orthodox theologian I put forward in favor of my position as some sort of historical revisionist. This debate ultimately made me look into the matter more from the Latin perspective and a little more on the Eastern Christian perspective. As it turns out, not to sound arrogant, I was mostly right to begin with. But by that point, the debate was long over. At least I got a blog post out of it and was more prepared when the subject came up here.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:18:46 PM by Rohzek »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2016, 08:47:33 PM »

Well it has only come up on a few occasions. At one point, I got into an argument with one who insisted that the Eastern view on marriage was a product of historical invention and due solely to the intermixture of Church and State in Byzantium (as though this only occurred in Byzantium). They mostly relied on John Meyendorf for the argument. I still have the feeling that they misrepresented Meyendorf, but at the time I did not have access to his works. Additionally, they tended to ignore any Orthodox theologian I put forward in favor of my position as some sort of historical revisionist. This debate ultimately made me look into the matter more from the Latin perspective and a little more on the Eastern Christian perspective. As it turns out, not to sound arrogant, I was mostly right to begin with. But by that point, the debate was long over. At least I got a blog post out of it and was more prepared when the subject came up here.

I see. I thought you were referring to something else. Something like, "you better pick up your own liturgy book, EO brother, because you don't know what you're talking about." Lol.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2016, 03:40:25 PM »
And the H word, or links to lectures about the H word by Father Josiah Trenham, are not allowed here either.

I'm not sure what "H word" you are talking about, but as a point of order, I would like to clarify the other issue you raised.  It is not the case that links to lectures by Fr Josiah Trenham are not allowed on OCNet.  Posting commercial links without seeking permission of the forum administrator is prohibited, even if they are links to Fr Josiah Trenham merchandise.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator
How can you be so incarnationally constipated?

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »

St. Mary at Akita 1973

"The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals, and bishops against other bishops. The priests who venerate me will be scorned and opposed by their Confreres. The Church and altars will be vandalized. The Church will be full of those who accept compromises and the demon will press many priests and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord."

One of your churches saints assumed she would be venerated?

EDIT: Nevermind.  Google revealed this is one of your apparitions.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:55:49 PM by JamesRottnek »
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
I guess openly criticizing Pope Francis and his exhortation Amoris Laetitia is not allowed there. No matter how much supporting documentation from councils you can use to prove his error. At CAF there is strange sense of Popolitry or Pope worship. They believe almost every utterance of the Pope is unquestionable and that he can't err. The seem to believe in personal infallibility of the Pope rather than what Vatican I defined. Correct them, you get banned  :)

The "H" word is not allowed there lol

You are now a member of a very distinguished group of Deplorables who have been Banned for life from CAF.....Welcome.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2016, 10:34:48 PM »
I have just been restored on CAF
Good to hear.

but I suspect I will be banned soon because my posts won't change.
Why not? Have you ever considered the possibility that it might not have been your disagreements that got you temporarily banned, but rather the tone and attitude in which you expressed your disagreements?

Could it have anything to do with the fact that Pope Francis in particular has no problem with writing things that Pope Pius XII, and many of their councils before that, would have called heresy? (is that the H word you're referring to, by any chance?)
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.

Offline jwinch2

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »
I guess openly criticizing Pope Francis and his exhortation Amoris Laetitia is not allowed there. No matter how much supporting documentation from councils you can use to prove his error. At CAF there is strange sense of Popolitry or Pope worship. They believe almost every utterance of the Pope is unquestionable and that he can't err. The seem to believe in personal infallibility of the Pope rather than what Vatican I defined. Correct them, you get banned  :)

The "H" word is not allowed there lol

CAF is a cesspool of fake Catholicism.  Half of the respectable Catholics I know have been banned from that place.  You can disagree with Church teaching on any number of issues and be fine there.  You can start any number of threads about graphic sexual issues and be fine there.  If you try to articulate the Faith in the manner in which has always been understood, you will be gone. 

Let it roll off your back. 

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »
CAF is a cesspool of fake Catholicism.  Half of the respectable Catholics I know have been banned from that place.  You can disagree with Church teaching on any number of issues and be fine there.  You can start any number of threads about graphic sexual issues and be fine there.  If you try to articulate the Faith in the manner in which has always been understood, you will be gone. 
Can you link me to a thread where I can see an example of respectable Catholics getting banned, just for articulating Catholic teaching? The skepticism in me suspects that there's more to story than that. I suspect that the majority of Catholics who get banned from there are hyper-traditionalists who think they know everything. And by that, I mean people who just post long monologues without really listening to what the other side of the argument has to say. Such people are only interested in convincing everyone that their opinion/interpretation is right, rather than having a two-way discussion. For obvious reason, that's not the spirit of a discussion forum. But of course, that's just my cynicism talking. I'm open to being convinced otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:22:21 AM by byhisgrace »

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »
Can you link me to a thread where I can see an example of respectable Catholics getting banned, just for articulating Catholic teaching? The skepticism in me suspects that there's more to story than that. I suspect that the majority of Catholics who get banned from there are hyper-traditionalists who think they know everything. And by that, I mean people who just post long monologues without really listening to what the other side of the argument has to say. Such people are only interested in convincing everyone that their opinion/interpretation is right, rather than having a two-way discussion. For obvious reason, that's not the spirit of a discussion forum. But of course, that's just my cynicism talking. I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

If someone is banned at CAF, they usually delete the post that got the user banned.