Author Topic: Do you believe the flood of Noah was global, as the Fathers say?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
Re: Do you believe the flood of Noah was global, as the Fathers say?
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
The Lord ~ has do designed ~ that Bicycles Cannot ~ climb trees so ~ no matter how much ~ we wiggle ~ and dance ~ the last three drops go down ~ our pants ```

EvOlu?Tion be noN Sense when ~  sence He started all This ```

Lord forgive me ~ and them ~ for we know not ```

What does the first line have to do with anything?
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
The Lord ~ has do designed ~ that Bicycles Cannot ~ climb trees so ~ no matter how much ~ we wiggle ~ and dance ~ the last three drops go down ~ our pants ```

EvOlu?Tion be noN Sense when ~  sence He started all This ```

Lord forgive me ~ and them ~ for we know not ```

What does the first line have to do with anything?

I think he's saying that animals are designed for their niches the same way that bicycles are for a road.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2018, 03:19:58 PM »
Oh you of little faith.

Both the flood, and Jonah being swallowed by a whale, occurred. 

The Lord created the world, do you think He cannot make these two events happen?

What about Lazarus, dead and decaying.... brought back to life?
What about walking on water, or stilling the storm?

Is it just God that is doubted?  What about the saints and the miracles they performed in His name?
Did St. Herman actually stop a tsumani by merely praying and placing an icon on the shoreline?
Or the healing of many by the Apostles?

What about God creating the world in 6 days...and resting on the 7th?  Also just a story?

Do not doubt...but, believe.... and in your belief, turn to Him more often... and see what is truly possible.

I hope to one day be as devote as you, i blame a secular upbringing and a murky path ive been trying to uncover
God bless

And I hope that said devotion won't include letting your children die of polio or seeing vampire Jewish bankers behind every tree.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
Quote Volnutt: And I hope that said devotion won't include letting your children die of polio or seeing vampire Jewish bankers behind every tree.

Hi Volnutt ~ what does this about ```

Offline Arzelle

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Seeking
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2018, 01:48:25 AM »
I don't know much about human populations throughout history, or geology, or anything relavent really, but is it possible that the flood itself was local, but that whatever caused it also caused other worldwide catastrophes? I have in mind the 'Younger Dryas impact theory,' so maybe a comet impact in North America, combined with glacial melting at the end of the last ice age (and heavy rain for over a month, according to Genesis), would have caused massive flooding in Europe and the Middle East (where Noah's 'world' was based), hurricanes and tsunamis elsewhere, wildfires elsewhere, etc., causing mass extiction of megafauna (especially in America and Eurasia), then ultimately Noah's family spread out and repopulated the world again.

This is just an idea, but considering that water symbolized chaos (with the flood being a throwback to the primordial sea at the beginning of Genesis), I think that kind of event would definitely fit with God letting the world fall back into chaos. I guess this would mean it was a local flood, but a global cataclysm.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:53:40 AM by Arzelle »