Author Topic: Renewal of marriage  (Read 1128 times)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Renewal of marriage
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:37:20 AM »
Is there any rite similar to the RC renewal of marriage vows?

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
Re: Renewal of marriage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:54 AM »
There is a prayer to bless marriages on their anniversary. I think it is found in the Great Book of Needs, perhaps someone else know of an online source.
Joseph

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
Nope, no such blessing in the Great Book of Needs.  :)
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 03:17:20 AM »
Where can one purchase  the trebnik book...
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:22:38 AM »
I came across this one... http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=78319&c=699270&i=3038771 Can't vouch for it though...

I have to put my two cents in though...even if there isn't a reference to wedding anniversaries in one book or another...what on earth is wrong with two pious, faithful believers coming to the Church with their families, children and children's children to rejoice, give thanks to God and receive a blessing through the priest? This has been a common practice throughout my experience.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
I came across this one... http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=78319&c=699270&i=3038771 Can't vouch for it though...

I have to put my two cents in though...even if there isn't a reference to wedding anniversaries in one book or another...what on earth is wrong with two pious, faithful believers coming to the Church with their families, children and children's children to rejoice, give thanks to God and receive a blessing through the priest? This has been a common practice throughout my experience.

And a very nice one, too. We've done it a couple of times, and also provided the lunch after Liturgy to celebrate our anniversary. It was very "informal" - the priest simply called us up after Liturgy and gave us a blessing. Everyone sang "many years."

I do, however, have a problem with the renewal of vows, in general. I said what I meant and I meant what I said the first time! (sort of like my fil, who told my mil, "I told you when we got married that I love you. If anything changes, I'll let you know." ;)
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »
No, I don't mean the "renewal of vows" precisely - just a blessing rite reserved for marriages only.

Offline Orual

• Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
  • High Elder
  • I'm just here for the food.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »

And a very nice one, too. We've done it a couple of times, and also provided the lunch after Liturgy to celebrate our anniversary. It was very "informal" - the priest simply called us up after Liturgy and gave us a blessing. Everyone sang "many years."

Yeah, in parishes I've gone to, people mention anniversaries and birthdays, etc., to the priest ahead of time and he has everyone sing "Many years".  They usually save it for major anniversaries.

I do, however, have a problem with the renewal of vows, in general. I said what I meant and I meant what I said the first time! (sort of like my fil, who told my mil, "I told you when we got married that I love you. If anything changes, I'll let you know." ;)

Since there are no vows to really speak of in an Orthodox wedding, there's not really any point.  "Bride, have you continued to not promise yourself to any other man?"
He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
Since there are no vows to really speak of in an Orthodox wedding, there's not really any point.  "Bride, have you continued to not promise yourself to any other man?"

Exactly!  ;D
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Thomas

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »
Bisop BASIL of Wichita has written such a service. You may write him to request it.

THOMAS
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 05:10:39 AM »
Thanks.