OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:38:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renewal of marriage  (Read 1012 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: October 14, 2010, 08:37:20 AM »

Is there any rite similar to the RC renewal of marriage vows?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:54 AM »

There is a prayer to bless marriages on their anniversary. I think it is found in the Great Book of Needs, perhaps someone else know of an online source.

Joseph
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »

Nope, no such blessing in the Great Book of Needs.  Smiley
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 03:17:20 AM »

Where can one purchase  the trebnik book...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:22:38 AM »

I came across this one... http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=78319&c=699270&i=3038771 Can't vouch for it though...

I have to put my two cents in though...even if there isn't a reference to wedding anniversaries in one book or another...what on earth is wrong with two pious, faithful believers coming to the Church with their families, children and children's children to rejoice, give thanks to God and receive a blessing through the priest? This has been a common practice throughout my experience.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »

I came across this one... http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=78319&c=699270&i=3038771 Can't vouch for it though...

I have to put my two cents in though...even if there isn't a reference to wedding anniversaries in one book or another...what on earth is wrong with two pious, faithful believers coming to the Church with their families, children and children's children to rejoice, give thanks to God and receive a blessing through the priest? This has been a common practice throughout my experience.

And a very nice one, too. We've done it a couple of times, and also provided the lunch after Liturgy to celebrate our anniversary. It was very "informal" - the priest simply called us up after Liturgy and gave us a blessing. Everyone sang "many years."

I do, however, have a problem with the renewal of vows, in general. I said what I meant and I meant what I said the first time! (sort of like my fil, who told my mil, "I told you when we got married that I love you. If anything changes, I'll let you know." Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »

No, I don't mean the "renewal of vows" precisely - just a blessing rite reserved for marriages only.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »

And a very nice one, too. We've done it a couple of times, and also provided the lunch after Liturgy to celebrate our anniversary. It was very "informal" - the priest simply called us up after Liturgy and gave us a blessing. Everyone sang "many years."

Yeah, in parishes I've gone to, people mention anniversaries and birthdays, etc., to the priest ahead of time and he has everyone sing "Many years".  They usually save it for major anniversaries.

I do, however, have a problem with the renewal of vows, in general. I said what I meant and I meant what I said the first time! (sort of like my fil, who told my mil, "I told you when we got married that I love you. If anything changes, I'll let you know." Wink

Since there are no vows to really speak of in an Orthodox wedding, there's not really any point.  "Bride, have you continued to not promise yourself to any other man?"

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »

Since there are no vows to really speak of in an Orthodox wedding, there's not really any point.  "Bride, have you continued to not promise yourself to any other man?"

Exactly!  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »

Bisop BASIL of Wichita has written such a service. You may write him to request it.

THOMAS

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 05:10:39 AM »

Thanks.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: