OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:40:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Photini's Icon (to your left)  (Read 759 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: October 14, 2010, 07:32:24 AM »

Does any one know her open hand facing outward means?  And the two 'badges' on each of her shoulders?  I've tried to look this up on the net and can't find anything. 

Thanks!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »

The hand held palm outward is a very common motif in icons, and represents the saint's humility, renunciation of the world, and their submission to the will of God.

The medallions on St Photini's shoulders appear to be simply decorative, rather than symbolic.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:51:15 PM »

The hand held palm outward is a very common motif in icons, and represents the saint's humility, renunciation of the world, and their submission to the will of God.

The medallions on St Photini's shoulders appear to be simply decorative, rather than symbolic.

Thank you!! This is the same icon my Sponsor got for me for my chrismation. Smiley 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: