OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:47:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orthodox Faith in Turkey  (Read 701 times) Average Rating: 0
chaplain76

« on: October 13, 2010, 09:32:24 PM »

I saw the 60-minutes special with the Ecumenical Patriarch, Bartholomew.  I am forlorn every time I think about the land most central to Christianity being illawfully taken in 1453; not to mention the mass genocide against Christians that has taken place since then, further decimating the descendants of the first Christians. 

I could tell in the interview that the Patriarch has a broken heart knowing that only 4,000 Christians are left in Turkey, and that the Muslim authorities seem determined never to allow the Halki Seminary to ever be reopened.

My question is, what will happen once Bartholomew passes on, and/or there is not another priest in Constantinople to carry on the title of Ecumenical Patriarch?  Also, and I know this question may seem a bit carnally minded, but does anyone know of a cunning, long-term plan to restore Christianity in Asia Minor in spite of the iron-fisted, Islamic oppresion there?

I am a Protestant minister, so you can consider me one who has only recenlty begun to consider the importance of these issues. 

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ (Titus 2:11).
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »

It looks like a grim picture. Here is a story from the Vision.org website.

http://www.vision.org/visionmedia/article.aspx?id=35746
chaplain76

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »

Thank you for the link.  I like your tag "has a lot to learn."  I am very intrigued by the Orthodox church and am eager to learn as well.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ (Titus 2:11).
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:42:18 PM »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.   Smiley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »

I saw the 60-minutes special with the Ecumenical Patriarch, Bartholomew.  I am forlorn every time I think about the land most central to Christianity being illawfully taken in 1453; not to mention the mass genocide against Christians that has taken place since then, further decimating the descendants of the first Christians. 

That happened in 637.

I could tell in the interview that the Patriarch has a broken heart knowing that only 4,000 Christians are left in Turkey, and that the Muslim authorities seem determined never to allow the Halki Seminary to ever be reopened.

4000 is only the number of Greek Christians in Constantinople. There may be 7000 Russians alone there, and in Turkish occupied Syria, there are Antiochians (yes, the Patriarch still has a Cathedral there).

My question is, what will happen once Bartholomew passes on, and/or there is not another priest in Constantinople to carry on the title of Ecumenical Patriarch? 

Maybe they'll have to get an Arab, a Russian or even a Turk.

Also, and I know this question may seem a bit carnally minded, but does anyone know of a cunning, long-term plan to restore Christianity in Asia Minor in spite of the iron-fisted, Islamic oppresion there?

That is something that the EP seems to have been doing right, making visitaions to various Churches still left etc.  Before the collapse, there were a lot of Greeks buying summer homes. Now only if they go to Church....

I am a Protestant minister, so you can consider me one who has only recenlty begun to consider the importance of these issues. 

Ah, I see. Bottom line, I don't see the Russians letting it disappear.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
chaplain76

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »

I'm still not very familiar with various Orthodox groups there.  Are there any significant Theological differences that would set the Greek Orthodox apart from Russian, or Antiochan?

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »

I'm still not very familiar with various Orthodox groups there.  Are there any significant Theological differences that would set the Greek Orthodox apart from Russian, or Antiochan?

No.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »

My question is, what will happen once Bartholomew passes on, and/or there is not another priest in Constantinople to carry on the title of Ecumenical Patriarch? 
There are still some priests and bishops. And there has been talk about bishops under Constantinople, but resident in countries other than Turkey, obtaining Turkish citizenship in order to be able to succeed Bartholomew.

Also, and I know this question may seem a bit carnally minded, but does anyone know of a cunning, long-term plan to restore Christianity in Asia Minor in spite of the iron-fisted, Islamic oppresion there?
There is no long-term plan, but there is quite some Russian and Ukrainian immigration to Turkey, which makes numbers go up again. There is no large-scale missionary work, because several people who attempted to do that were killed.

Indeed, the situation is very bad, but the ORthodox Church does not intend to give up Constantinople.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: