OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:36:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian Orthodoxy in Brazil  (Read 1782 times) Average Rating: 0
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »

Hi all!

Our dear Father Daniel of the Ukrainian Church in Brazil has shared some amazing photos from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Brazil, including some of the Episcopal Assembly of South America which gathered in the Antiochian Cathedral in São Paulo. Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/presbiterodaniel/IgrejaOrtodoxaNoBrasil#

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »

Glory to God for all things!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:56:42 AM »

Hi Fabio!

Thanks for sharing the photos!  What a blessing!

My mother lived in Brazil for 12 years with her family before coming the States.  I would love to see the photos of the little church they helped build.  My grandfather actually worked on the Royal Gates and the iconostasis and my uncle painted/wrote the icons.  I understand it has been rebuilt - which is a good thing, because that means the parish had outgrown the little church.

These photos are not labeled.  Any way of finding out where the pictured churches are located? 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »

Hi Liza!

The church in Porto Alegre, right? I'll have to enquire about that, because as far as I know, today, there are only two Orthodox parishes there, the Russian Paróquia São Sérgio de Radonéz (address Avenida Emílio Lúcio Esteves, 215) and the Greek Igreja dos Santos Apóstolos (address Rua Monteiro Lobato, 312). I don't know if the Ukrainian church was simply closed or if it is one of these two. I'll ask around and get back to you on what I find.

As for the location of those churches, I'll talk to Father Daniel to put some names. Smiley

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:23:09 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »

I had heard it is still there.   It is Holy Trinity parish in Canoas.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »

Ah, it's in Canoas, not in Porto Alegre. Smiley Different cities. Smiley

Here they are:

They have a blog:
http://igrejaucranianacanoas.blogspot.com/

and their blog translated into English by Google:
http://is.gd/g3muC

And their location in Google Maps:
http://is.gd/g3ndY
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:28:20 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »

My mother lived in Brazil for 12 years with her family before coming the States.  I would love to see the photos of the little church they helped build.  My grandfather actually worked on the Royal Gates and the iconostasis and my uncle painted/wrote the icons.  I understand it has been rebuilt - which is a good thing, because that means the parish had outgrown the little church.

These photos are not labeled.  Any way of finding out where the pictured churches are located? 

Liz, the Ukrainian Orthodox in Brazil are under your church-the UOC-USA as your probably know.  I cannot find this Fr. Daniel's surname.
There are almost half a million people of Ukrainian origin in Brazil but, 80% of them whom live in the State of Paraná in southern Brazil.  CIUS at the University of Alberta has done extensive research on the area.

Ukrainians of Brazil (Portuguese: Ucraniano-brasileiro; Ukrainian: Українці Бразилії, Ukrayintsi Brazylii) are Brazilian citizens born in Ukraine, or Brazilians of Ukrainian descent who remains connected, in some degree, to Ukrainian culture. As of 1994, 400,000 people of Ukrainian descent lived in Brazil, 80% (or approximately 350,000) of whom lived in a compact region approximately 1,930 square miles (5,000 km2) in size (an area slightly larger than the US state of Rhode Island), in the hilly south central part of State of Paraná in southern Brazil.[3] They refer to this region as "Brazilian Ukraine."[4] Smaller numbers of Ukrainians have settled in São Paulo, Santa Catarina, and Rio Grande do Sul.[3] The cities with the largest number of Ukrainians are Prudentópolis (approximately 38,000 Ukrainians, or 75% of the city's population), Curitiba (33,000 Ukrainians), and União da Vitória (approximately 26,400 Ukrainians or 50% of the city's population).[5] In 2009 the Ukrainian population in Brazil was estimated to be 500,000 people.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainians_of_Brazil
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »

His name is Padre Daniel de Oliveira Pinheiro, he is Brazilian. He serves in the Ukrainian Paróquia da Proteção da Mãe de Deus, in the city of Osasco, in the state of São Paulo.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:48:30 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »

Cheesy

That's it!  The happy little yellow church!  How cool is that?!?

Thank You kindly, gentlemen! 

—St. Isaac of Syria
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

Really nice photos! Thanks so much for sharing, Fabio!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »

Nice thread.  It makes me happy to see Bishop Jeremiah. 
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »

Hi all!

Father Daniel has shared some videos as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fatherdaniel#p/a/u/1/jePNwemHczE

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 12:23:47 AM »

Very nice church, love the facade. I just  have one question (if you don't mind me asking): The icon/mosaic of the Holy Trinity above the church entrance, is that normally accepted amongst all Orthodox jurisdictions?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:24:13 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 02:04:59 AM »

Hi all!

Father Daniel has shared some videos as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fatherdaniel#p/a/u/1/jePNwemHczE

A couple of things seemed odd in the video:

The infant was not immersed, but rather received pouring. Is this common down there?

There was a young boy swinging the censor. I thought this was reserved for deacons or the priest?
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 03:17:06 AM »

Very nice church, love the facade. I just  have one question (if you don't mind me asking): The icon/mosaic of the Holy Trinity above the church entrance, is that normally accepted amongst all Orthodox jurisdictions?
It is quite a topic of debate within Orthodoxy whether such an icon is acceptable. But they also have those on Mt. Athos, so my guess is that it can't be that bad.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: