OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 02:46:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does your priest give penances?  (Read 580 times) Average Rating: 0
David Leon

« on: October 13, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »

I was wondering if it is common to be given a penance after confession.  If so, what sort?  Perhaps a certain number of prostrations, prayers, etc. or maybe staying away from the chalice for a certain period of time.  I have just heard of this and am wondering how widespread/normal this is.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »

Not so far, but I've only been to confession about five times.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »

No, he does not. I do not know anyone who has been given one either.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:15:16 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »

Mine sometimes does. Readings or prostrations, depending on the nature of the sin (spiritual or physical; different sins require different therapies). I've never heard of him excommunicating anyone, but I know of other priests who do resort to that if necessary.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »

I'm not sure if you would call these "penances" but once my priest told me, "Go over there and sit down and think about what you've done!" Another time he told me that I couldn't receive Communion unless I forgave someone that I was angry with (can't even remember now what I was so mad about, but it seemed really important at the time! Tongue)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »

IMO, in Orthodoxy, "penance" is anything given by a Priest to heal your soul after confession. I think of it as the Doctor prescribing a medicine, and the Pharmacist (the Priest) giving out that medicine.

A penance IMO can be a number of Jesus Prayers, or it could be advice such as asking someone for forgiveness, etc...
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »

IMO, in Orthodoxy, "penance" is anything given by a Priest to heal your soul after confession.

I believe this (spiritual advice) is one thing and an official epitemia is another. If someone gets none of these, s/he will do their penance anyway because Orthodox morning and evening prayers contain many penitential elements.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

While penances used to be a normal part of Orthodox life, it has been my experience that penances are not common these days. I have only been given a penance twice (though one was more like a request).

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:40:14 AM »

Absolutely, he does, at least for me.  I've been given penance to abstain from the Eucharist for a period of time, to ask forgiveness of those I have wronged, to increase my prayers (and prostrations, if necessary), to do some spiritual reading and even to refrain from chanting the services.  I know he doesn't do it to be punitive but to ensure repentance and believe you me, I need to do a lot!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: confession repentance 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: