Author Topic: RC to Orthodox converts...share your stories here!  (Read 123755 times)

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: RC to Orthodox converts...share your stories here!
« Reply #225 on: August 08, 2018, 11:16:10 PM »
I also appreciated both your stories.

noazarc1, have you read the "Sedevacantist Delusion" by former Catholic turned Orthodox?

https://www.thesedevacantistdelusion.com
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2018, 05:54:34 AM »

noazarc1, have you read the "Sedevacantist Delusion" by former Catholic turned Orthodox?

I read his Orthodox Sedevacantists article and I really did not get it.
How is the fact that the Orthodox never really set up "resistance churches" and elected anti popes helping the Orthodox case?
His argument is already assuming that the Orthodox church(es) alone are the church founded by Christ with the fullness of truth and then is deriving evidence
that the Sedes are wrong. I think it is nothing more than a weak form of circular reasoning - and I am not a Sede.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:55:31 AM by Lepanto »
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »

How is the fact that the Orthodox never really set up "resistance churches" and elected anti popes helping the Orthodox case?
His argument is already assuming that the Orthodox church(es) alone are the church founded by Christ with the fullness of truth and then is deriving evidence
that the Sedes are wrong. I think it is nothing more than a weak form of circular reasoning - and I am not a Sede.

I have not read that article, but the book shows the circular reasoning of both Sedevacantistism and the "recognize and resist" Traditionalist positions.  It's been a while since I read it, but I seem to remember that being the bulk of the content and his conclusions about Orthodoxy seemed more of an afterthought.  Still interesting.
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
I mean, all argumentation is circular on some level, that isn't a reason in itself to reject something, though it can weaken an attempt at persuasion depending on how 'close' to fundamentals things are. I think there are plenty of other reasons in cases like this though...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:01:41 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »
If you made it this far, thank you for reading. It took me a long time to think through this and put it to words. I may continue to do more reading here than posting. I am moving along much slower, not acting impulsively out of guilt or condemnation, but allowing for the first time in my life, the grace of Christ to guide me, teach me and instruct me by his Spirit. I am very thankful to a Western Rite Orthodox Priest who is helping me during this time. Learning, understanding and knowing the development of the Western Rite has been immensely helpful to my journey.  I have no guarantees where I will end up, neither does he. He has never condemned the West or Rome. Neither do I. I have so many I love and respect from these traditions.  Instead he is helping me to move slowly and understand the Church and her historical journey.

Noahzarc1, thank you very much for sharing this. You're clearly very thoughtful about what you say, and I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Thank you for your kind words platypus. So much to read on this forum. I am also impressed it has been around so long. I realize there are threads going back to when I was still a Protestant in seminary. I guess one could think, "I wish I had found this sooner," but in reality my journey is the one God allowed me on and walked with me on. I have no regrets of all the people I've met along the way. I just always hope to share my story. I don't expect my journey to stop, but only continue.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:36:38 AM by noahzarc1 »
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »

Probably needs its own thread rather than tying up this thread and what it is intended for.
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline Frank J

• Faith: Russian Orthodox Christian
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2019, 04:48:47 PM »
Hello my Brothers and Sisters,
I'm a Russian Orthodox Christian and been a member of the Church, I have recently had critical look at myself. I had thought about leaving my faith for the Catholic religion but after talking to a eastern Catholic Priest who is a good friend of mine. He showed me what I faced and the deep cliff that I was standby. I came to realise that the Orthodox Christian Faith ment alot to me and I couldn't leave my faith. A few month ago I confessed it to my priest and repent of the sins of schism. I want you all to know that I come to realize how beautiful the Orthodox Christian Church is in my life.
I'm now at peace with my faith.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »
I'm a Russian Orthodox Christian and been a member of the Church, I have recently had critical look at myself. I had thought about leaving my faith for the Catholic religion but after talking to a eastern Catholic Priest who is a good friend of mine. He showed me what I faced and the deep cliff that I was standby. I came to realise that the Orthodox Christian Faith ment alot to me and I couldn't leave my faith. A few month ago I confessed it to my priest and repent of the sins of schism. I want you all to know that I come to realize how beautiful the Orthodox Christian Church is in my life.

Glory to Our God.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2019, 10:56:42 PM »
Awesome Frank, thanks for sharing. I love your simple faith.

Offline Frank J

• Faith: Russian Orthodox Christian
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2019, 02:43:41 PM »
Hello my Brothers and Sisters
I converted to Orthodox Christian Church 18 year's ago, now looking at this stage of my life it was the right path to take. The Church has been a great support from the stormy weather of sin in this world. The Church has been the port in the storm and it has saved me from many errors in this world. I can't say how blessed I am to Orthodox Christian. I thank God providing protection for me in HIS Church. I feel so blessed to have my faith and Church.

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2019, 11:34:52 PM »
As I can see this time is happy for many people converting to orthodoxy :)
So, I’m one of theme. My conversion story is quite long, so I’ll try to write it in short words. So, my father is Serbian orthodox and my mother is Polish roman-catholic, so I raised up in both traditions, however I was baptized in roman-catholic Church when I was 7. Nobody gave me the choice. But I appreciate this time, because I’ve learn the basis teaching of Christianity. I can say I really felt the power of the sacrament, because earlier I had hated going to church, praying etc. and suddenly it has changed. I started being interested in orthodoxy, one time I though one day I would convert. The Orthodoxy was so mystical, powerful and spiritual for me, but I didn’t know any differences in dogma. When I was taught at school (I was 14) that catholic believe in such things like papal ineffability, I rejected it. So I started reading about eastern Churches (I love also oriental orthodox, especially Copts ;)), its faith, traditions, liturgics, icons. I also loved the liturgical music of eastern Christianity. Then I started celebrate the Holy Week, which is the most important period of year for me, in orthodox manner – I mean strict fasting, readings of these days, listening to Holy Week hymns, going to the Liturgies and other services etc. When I was 16, I was preparing for the confirmation like other young people in Poland. It took one year, but for two reasons (one is personal, the second one is that I was arguing with the catholic heresies) just before 4 days before the ceremony, the priest throw away me. It happened on my slava (as you probably know, it’s Serbian tradition, the feast of patron of the family), which is st. Luke. I thought it’s sing of God’s will. I started going to orthodox church much more frequently, I’ve also participated in 3 pilgrimages by foot to the Holy Mountain Grabarka. It change me and my life for better, I met fantastic orthodox people. I felt I was in heart orthodox christian. I couldn’t agree with specicic latin mentality, short and without Spirit masses, the lost of the tradition.  But I was afraid of converting because I thought I wouldn’t manage with the fasting (not also the strong will, but some health problems too), preparing for the Holy Communion etc. And that I would left my mum for the greatest feast of Pascha alone in time, that she started going to the services of Holy Week and fasting like orthodox. But, my father was in this situation so many years and we coped with it. So, the official period of my catechumanate was relatively short (from the beginning of October). It could take less time, but I had some problems with my studies at University. But I was preparing for it seriously 5 years (now I’m 20).
To finish, on the vigil of the Feast of Nativity, I was chrismated and received the Holy Eucharist. It was so beautiful ceremony, my priest and the rest of the congregation welcomed me so sincerely and joyously. I’m so happy that now I celebrate Christmas as orthodox christian. A few hours later, on the Christmas Eve, even my mother accepted it in some way Please, pray for me, because I know that’s just the beginning of great and difficult journey to the salvation.
I enjoyed your conversion story. Thank you and thanks for sharing.

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2019, 11:37:15 PM »
Presbyterian > Catholicism > Coptic Orthodoxy

An extremely unlikely road, but here I am...still couldn't tell you precisely how, but I do know why: The deeper I looked into older expressions of Christianity that I could find around me (Benedictine monasticism, Byzantine Catholicism), the more it reminded me of my brief experiences with the OCA. I was never interested in becoming a member or anything (just visited occasionally for vespers, festivals, etc.), but it did seem a lot more serious and committed than the N.O. masses I had to attend, with their guitars and jazz drumming and all that.

I still didn't feel as though the Slavic/Greek Orthodoxy I had visited was for me, though. It was beautiful, sure, but I didn't feel it internally, you know? And I had (increasingly) told myself that I wouldn't leave Catholicism for pretty things, only for substantial things (since I felt that there was a depth missing to every form of Catholicism I had encountered, even as some were quite beautiful and reverent). So without anywhere else to go, I just sort of hung out for a while in this weird nexus between old Roman (Mozarabic chant, Templar chant...anything I could find that wasn't Catholicism as I had known it) and Byzantine practices, never really feeling comfortable with it. Honestly I figured I'd probably end up going to the OCA even though I didn't really want to, just because there wasn't anything else in my area. Maybe I'd grow to love it and connect with it in time.

And then I stumbled upon a subtitled sermon of HH Pope Shenouda III, in a search for more Christian materials in Arabic (I was taking Arabic classes at the University of Oregon at the time, and they wanted us to learn about the family of Muhammad and junk like that; I learned Byzantine hymns by Fairuz instead, but didn't know what else was out there). It blew me away. This was (is!) the faith that I wanted but didn't have. After looking for more and more material by HH (and finding some very poorly translated pamphlets), I somehow heard about the Desert Fathers. I knew some Eastern saints already (Russians and a few Syrians like St. Ephrem), but had only previously studied them from a RC perspective via my old FoC, who was a Dominican who had gone through seminary with a Chaldean (Assyrian Catholic) priest in San Diego. But reading the Desert Fathers was something else. I expected to be alienated by their "foreignness" and asceticism (RCs don't fast, you see), but instead found exactly the opposite: Their words spoke to me in a very real, immediate and relevant way, and my copy of Benedicta Ward's translation of their sayings is probably the one non-Biblical book I read the most, aside from the Agpeya. It's incredible.

After that I realized I had to find a Coptic church FAST (I know the Desert Fathers were not only Egyptians, but obviously Christian monasticism spread from Egypt outward, so I figured I should go where they are), but there wasn't one anywhere around me. So I think it was a bit of divine providence that within a year I had moved to Albuquerque, NM, which is not only a desert environment (you must be very careful what you wish for, I suppose) but is home to a small Coptic community of about 40 people, including not only Egyptians but also Ethiopians, and recently Sudanese and even one other white person. They worship in a private home, which gives it a real communal feeling. People have begun to absentmindedly address me in Egyptian Arabic now, and I've only been attending for about 4 months...though they always seem to remember to switch to English to harangue me about getting baptized. ;D

I guess that's how you know you're home, right? When grandma is asking you when you're going to get serious and take the plunge? It sure feels oddly familiar to me.
I really enjoyed reading this and very relevant to my own walk. Thanks for sharing. I spent 15 years in the desert and regret I only discovered Orthodoxy about a year or so before moving away, but it was a year filled with many spiritual enlightenments that they've stayed with me these last almost 5 years now.