Author Topic: Conversion Stories  (Read 32533 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro & OR (POC)
Re: Conversion Stories
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2015, 06:36:36 AM »
First of all, you will be reading a story from someone who's 18. Things will sound silly.

As any middle-class Brazilian kid, I was a devout Catholic boy. I thought Protestant kids were weird and I was very joyful that I had not only my beautiful family on Earth, but a Father and a Mother in Heaven, taking care of every step I took. I was happy to know the saints could listen to me, and I told them my most compelling secrets.

My faith just got warm when I was 13, on 2011. As I turned 14 by the end of the year, though, dumb atheist propaganda started nuking my mind, and I just apostasised, I started to call myself an "Agnostic", a "Nihilist", and, at some point, I would pretend I was some kind of Laveyanist. On early 2014, I started studying Thelema, Gnosticism, Paganism, and maybe Kardecism. God is wise. I was to "edgy to simply return to Christianity, but those readings washed my silly contempt for the methaphysical away. Those studies made me retake Bible studying for curiosity's sake, although, as I clearly focused on the Old Testament, I treated the Holy Scriptures as some kind of series of foundational myths, historical accounts and wisdom.

Well, on early 2015, my admiration for some seminarists I met made me truly wish to come back to the Roman Catholic faith. I was a bit doubtful, specially after I attended a charismatic mass, but the strong light emanating from my new readings from the New Testament, plus my overall fascination with Russia, plus a big curiosity on what then would the three Orthodox friends I already had be doing Sunday morning... well, when I realised myself, there I was, going for liturgy every Sunday.

There are already five friends, plus my girlfriend, who simply followed me into the church, plus three internet buddies elsewhere in Brazil who are looking for the same. A friend of mine told me I have a great catechetical gift. I'll try not to get this over my head, since I'm a catechumen myself!  :P But I'm greatly happy with the path I've been taking. A year ago, my greatest dreams were all about getting a regular job and following some political panorama. Now, my life foresight is serving the Church, engaging my dear girlfriend and keep my healthy friendships. This last sentence may sound out of context, but all I mean is that: life is definitely changed for me.  :)

Creio em uma única Igreja: Una, Santa, Católica e Apostólica.

Que Deus os abençoe.
God bless you all.
Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
Nice to see somebody from the Polish Church, especially from Brazilian mission (I'm from Polish Church too, but living in its homeland ;))
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2015, 06:57:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
Nice to see somebody from the Polish Church, especially from Brazilian mission (I'm from Polish Church too, but living in its homeland ;))

Nice to meet you, Dominika!  :)

Our community has a peculiar history inside the Polish Church. We're all Brazilians.  ;D When the original community, as seated in Portugal, wished to become fully canonical, Poland recognised they were faithfully Orthodox. And here we are:

Ambrose (Bishop for Recife), Chrysostom (Archbishop for Brazil) and blessed Sawa. I have the dear opportunity of asking Chrysostom the blessing most Sundays. He's really a very humble and attentive man.

Many years upon them. God bless you all in Poland, brothers!
Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »
^^ Yeah, I know the story, and I've talked to bp Ambrose when he visited Holy Mount Grabarka in Poland 2 years ago. It was funny, as I was asking in Spanish, and he was giving answers in Portuguese ;) However, I haven't met abp Chrysostom ;)

It's nice to that this mission receives new converts, as Polish Church isn't so big jurisdiction, so that's amazing, that you keep being under our omophorion
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2015, 12:08:11 AM »
^^ Yeah, I know the story, and I've talked to bp Ambrose when he visited Holy Mount Grabarka in Poland 2 years ago. It was funny, as I was asking in Spanish, and he was giving answers in Portuguese ;) However, I haven't met abp Chrysostom ;)

It's nice to that this mission receives new converts, as Polish Church isn't so big jurisdiction, so that's amazing, that you keep being under our omophorion

That is amazing! I don't know him myself. I heard they're building him a new cathedral in Recife.  :)

Offline vansensei

• Faith: ex-Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: n/a
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2015, 03:19:28 AM »
First of all, you will be reading a story from someone who's 18. Things will sound silly.

As any middle-class Brazilian kid, I was a devout Catholic boy. I thought Protestant kids were weird and I was very joyful that I had not only my beautiful family on Earth, but a Father and a Mother in Heaven, taking care of every step I took. I was happy to know the saints could listen to me, and I told them my most compelling secrets.

My faith just got warm when I was 13, on 2011. As I turned 14 by the end of the year, though, dumb atheist propaganda started nuking my mind, and I just apostasised, I started to call myself an "Agnostic", a "Nihilist", and, at some point, I would pretend I was some kind of Laveyanist. On early 2014, I started studying Thelema, Gnosticism, Paganism, and maybe Kardecism. God is wise. I was to "edgy to simply return to Christianity, but those readings washed my silly contempt for the methaphysical away. Those studies made me retake Bible studying for curiosity's sake, although, as I clearly focused on the Old Testament, I treated the Holy Scriptures as some kind of series of foundational myths, historical accounts and wisdom.

Well, on early 2015, my admiration for some seminarists I met made me truly wish to come back to the Roman Catholic faith. I was a bit doubtful, specially after I attended a charismatic mass, but the strong light emanating from my new readings from the New Testament, plus my overall fascination with Russia, plus a big curiosity on what then would the three Orthodox friends I already had be doing Sunday morning... well, when I realised myself, there I was, going for liturgy every Sunday.

There are already five friends, plus my girlfriend, who simply followed me into the church, plus three internet buddies elsewhere in Brazil who are looking for the same. A friend of mine told me I have a great catechetical gift. I'll try not to get this over my head, since I'm a catechumen myself!  :P But I'm greatly happy with the path I've been taking. A year ago, my greatest dreams were all about getting a regular job and following some political panorama. Now, my life foresight is serving the Church, engaging my dear girlfriend and keep my healthy friendships. This last sentence may sound out of context, but all I mean is that: life is definitely changed for me.  :)

Que Deus os abençoe.
God bless you all.

E você também. Há muito cristãos orthodoxos no Brasil? A country that's 70-80% Catholic must have some.

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »

Que Deus os abençoe.
God bless you all.

E você também. Há muito cristãos orthodoxos no Brasil? A country that's 70-80% Catholic must have some.

The 2010 census counted 130 thousand of us. but I believe they must have counted the Oriental Orthodox altogether.