OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brokenhearted little girl  (Read 990 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: October 13, 2010, 01:37:51 AM »

This may seem relatively minor, but for my 5 year old daughter Wooster this is a BIG deal.

Her godmother Hannah is 18. She has been homeschooled all her life and spent the last two homeschooling years at a Monastery. Wooster loves her so very much. She has known Hannah since she was two. She actually chose Hannah (then almost 16) to be her godmother because she loved her so much. This is a fairly big step for a girl that has always been very shy. Hannah has decided that she wants to get married and start having babies immediately. To speed the process she just moved up to Kodiak Alaska "indefinitely." Wooster is absolutely heartbroken. She had been looking forward to when Hannah was done with high school and home going to college so they could spend more time together. We can't afford to take Wooster up to see her and Wooster is far too young to visit her alone even if Hannah could pay for her to come up to visit. (Hannah won't be paid for her work position, it is a room/board in exchange for working at a coffee shop/book store at Monk's Rock) Wooster has no idea when she will see her godmother next. I fear that the sadness will turn into bitterness. I don't want her to become jaded from the heartache. So if you could pray for Wooster I would appreciate it. I am helpless to help her and it pains us all to see her so very sad. Hannah is mostly doing this as a reaction/rebellion against her parents. She is one of those "More Orthodox than Orthodox people" from living a monastic-like life for the last few years. If Hannah has her way I don't think she will ever come back.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:41:46 AM by Quinault » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:41:30 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:47:17 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 05:47:02 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:52:11 AM »

Two of my kids have been to Kodiak with our parish youth group...it seems to have a very special pull.  They both want to go back.  I have an acquaintance whose daughter is working at Monk's Rock. 

But, I do want to say that each of my kids has had a very different relationship with their godparent.  Some are close and others are not.  It is heartbreaking to see when it doesn't turn out the way the children hope it will.  My now 14 yr old's godmother moved far far away for 2 years several years ago (she's back now).  It was hard.

Hopefully, Hannah will send a care-package or a letter or two to Wooster to keep the relationship special.

Praying.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »

Lord have mercy! For the little girl to have strength and for the bigger one to see that love is not a road we walk treading over broken hearts.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »

Lord have mercy!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Willl she have internet at Kodiak?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:59:16 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Ialmisry's suggestion about INternet access may solve some issues, if this access is indeed present.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 09:16:24 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 10:55:48 AM »

Lord have mercy!
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

If Hannah has some contact info, maybe you can arrange for a Skype conversation.  The time zones might be hard to work out, but with Skype they can see each other and talk back and forth without it costing too much.  It's important for Wooster to know that while they may not have an everyday relationship anymore, she can still contact Hannah and have a special relationship with her.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »

Lord have mercy!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »

Hannah will not have any internet access while she is up there. I admit I am fairly upset with Hannah about this. Wooster had to go thru so much with my husband's deployments for the last 5 years, so many goodbyes that she really shouldn't have ever had to go thru. I feel like I shouldn't have allowed Hannah to be Wooster's godmother, we should have chosen someone older and past the (rather natural I know) "proving" themselves stage. Our parish is one that tries to make sure that godparents have close relationships with their godchildren. That is one of the prerequisites that out priest requires; active participation in a child's life to be a godparent. Wooster is on the cusp of thinking hard about faith and such. Now her first lesson regarding prayer is that it doesn't work; she prayed that Hannah would stay and she didn't. This is a valuable lesson I know, but it is rather different to pray for a bicycle and not get it, compared to praying that someone you love doesn't leave. I am/will continue to talk to her about how prayer isn't to get what you want, but she is only 5 after all. Undecided The concept that someone is gone "indefinitely" sounds like eternally to her.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:57:40 PM by Quinault » Logged
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 02:41:02 PM »

Hannah will not have any internet access while she is up there.

Maybe Hannah and Wooster could rediscover the almost-lost art of writing letters (you know, by hand, on a piece of paper, and sent through snail mail)?  Photos, drawings, etc. can be exchanged that way, as well as love and prayers.

Meanwhile, prayers! Lord have mercy!  angel

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

We will be sure to write/read letters. Wooster is learning to write/read this year, so that should help some.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »

Lord, have mercy, be with little Wooster at this difficult time.

Love never fails.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »

Lord Have Mercy...Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »

Hannah will not have any internet access while she is up there. I admit I am fairly upset with Hannah about this. Wooster had to go thru so much with my husband's deployments for the last 5 years, so many goodbyes that she really shouldn't have ever had to go thru. I feel like I shouldn't have allowed Hannah to be Wooster's godmother, we should have chosen someone older and past the (rather natural I know) "proving" themselves stage. Our parish is one that tries to make sure that godparents have close relationships with their godchildren. That is one of the prerequisites that out priest requires; active participation in a child's life to be a godparent. Wooster is on the cusp of thinking hard about faith and such. Now her first lesson regarding prayer is that it doesn't work; she prayed that Hannah would stay and she didn't. This is a valuable lesson I know, but it is rather different to pray for a bicycle and not get it, compared to praying that someone you love doesn't leave. I am/will continue to talk to her about how prayer isn't to get what you want, but she is only 5 after all. Undecided The concept that someone is gone "indefinitely" sounds like eternally to her.

Yes, I totally understand this and wish it also for two of my kids.  It so hard to really know people unless you've been in the parish for a year or more.

But, that said, you don't know how things will turn out eventually.  I really thought my daughter had made a mistake with the godmother I mentioned previously (she also chose her godmother).  But, things have changed and both have grown and matured (godmother was in her early 20s when we were Chrismated).  Now I see that they are good for each other.  I hope and pray this is just a blip on the screen for your little one.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: