OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:47:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a matter of crosses...  (Read 1908 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: October 12, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »

This is something that I think other new convrts are wondeing about...

I wear my baptismal cross awayse.  I've almost lost it (it fell off) a couple of times. I freaked out, to say the least.  I was wondering if it was OK if I put it in a little box on my icon corner to keep safe, and get a new ORTHODOX cross to wear all the time?  is this OK?  or should we wear our baptismal crosses all the time?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:07:29 PM »

I wear a cross blessed by my priest all the time.  My baptismal cross is safely tucked away in a box.

Young children are often given tiny wooden crosses to wear when they are young...because I know that my godchildren have lost more crosses at the playground than I care to count.  They wear their baptismal crosses to church or on special occasions, otherwise, they are also safely tucked away! 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »

I wear a cross blessed by my priest all the time.  My baptismal cross is safely tucked away in a box.

Young children are often given tiny wooden crosses to wear when they are young...because I know that my godchildren have lost more crosses at the playground than I care to count.  They wear their baptismal crosses to church or on special occasions, otherwise, they are also safely tucked away! 
quite a smart move!!!  I was balling my eyes out before I found my cross on the floor (turns out my chain broke).  it sounds great to leave it tucked away.  I fiure I'll actually wear it on Pascha...some time in between....and when I'm buried Wink

I will definatly have a new cross blessed by my priest.

thanks so much!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Libertas

Faith: Ukrainian Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church of Canada

+ St Maximos, pray for us sinners!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »

This sounds interesting. Is a baptismal cross a gift you receive from the Church or your sponsor? What other things do you typically receive upon converting? I've heard that a person usually receives an icon of some sort.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 12:31:15 AM »

Usually an icon of their patron or the feast of that day. For example, I was baptized on the Dormition of the Mother of God, so I received an icon of that event from my godfather.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:31:26 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:33 AM »

I've lost mine and I have a new one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »

This sounds interesting. Is a baptismal cross a gift you receive from the Church or your sponsor? What other things do you typically receive upon converting? I've heard that a person usually receives an icon of some sort.

in most cases, your sponsor presents one to you. in the baptismal service, outting on the cross is part of the ceremony.  In a chrismation (as is my case), it's not part of the ceremony, but it is important that you get one from you sponsor at that time.

you may find this interesting:  http://www.orthodox.net/articles/why-wear-a-cross.html

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »

This is something that I think other new convrts are wondeing about...

I wear my baptismal cross awayse.  I've almost lost it (it fell off) a couple of times. I freaked out, to say the least.  I was wondering if it was OK if I put it in a little box on my icon corner to keep safe, and get a new ORTHODOX cross to wear all the time?  is this OK?  or should we wear our baptismal crosses all the time?

Reasons why crosses "fall off":

1. The chain is too long, and the lot comes off during vigorous activity, especially swimming or water sports. Get yourself a shorter chain. A chain which allows your cross to hang just below the second button of your shirt is about right.

2. The clasp linking the two ends of the chain is broken, or doesn't engage properly. Go to a jeweler, and have him fit a more reliable closure for the chain.

3. The jump ring (loop) threaded through the cross, through which the chain passes, opens up, and the cross falls through. Go to a jeweler, and have him solder the jump ring to seal the join.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »

so, does anyone know where I can buy a replacement for my cross?  I would like a Russian style (3-bar) cross, in "Latin style", with Christ crucified on it.  

like this:

price range:  $25-$120

thanks!!!

and any good Orthodox jewelery websites would be WONDERUL!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:50:34 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »

so, does anyone know where I can buy a replacement for my cross?  I would like a Russian style (3-bar) cross, in "Latin style", with Christ crucified on it.  

like this:

thanks!!!

Try this: http://www.gallerybyzantium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_25&products_id=240

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »

like this:

thanks!!!

Try this: http://www.gallerybyzantium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_25&products_id=240
that's PERFECT!  thanks!

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »

This may sound like a silly question, but is one supposed to wear a cross while sleeping or bathing?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »

This may sound like a silly question, but is one supposed to wear a cross while sleeping or bathing?

you don't have to.  I wear it in the shower and sometimes when I sleep, but my priest says he takes it off.  it's really your choice, as long as it's worn, and not sitting in a drawer  Wink

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »

I know it's wrong of me, but I can't bring myself to wear my baptismal cross on a daily basis as it is the most ostentatious and flashy (read: Greek) piece of gold jewellery I have ever laid eyes on.

I'd love to replace the small, wooden cross I received from the Japanese church while I was in Tokyo (the two parts eventually came apart). Can anyone recommend a good site for such a purchase??

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 10:04:55 PM »

I know it's wrong of me, but I can't bring myself to wear my baptismal cross on a daily basis as it is the most ostentatious and flashy (read: Greek) piece of gold jewellery I have ever laid eyes on.

I'd love to replace the small, wooden cross I received from the Japanese church while I was in Tokyo (the two parts eventually came apart). Can anyone recommend a good site for such a purchase??

you can buy an Orthodox cross from any number of sights, including Amazon  just make sure to have it blessed.

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/categories.asp?cat=Orthodox+Crosses

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:59 PM »

I have this one:
http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1068&Category_ID=76

the front-facing side comes varnished, which I eventually sanded off with some 400 grit-- that's just my personal preference for raw wood, though.

They also have this one:

http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1069&Category_ID=76

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »

I have this one:
http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1068&Category_ID=76

the front-facing side comes varnished, which I eventually sanded off with some 400 grit-- that's just my personal preference for raw wood, though.

They also have this one:

http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1069&Category_ID=76
very beautiful!  I wasn't aware they sold those, and I'm quite a customer of sketecom!

Monk Cyprian

Jurisdiction: OCA

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »

I hope folks will forgive me for interjecting, but I think it's helpful to remember that a baptismal cross isn't a good luck charm or talisman of some sort.

It usually shocks people when they figure out it's original purpose.  It's burial instructions.  You wore a cross, at least in the ancient world, so that if you died somewhere where people didn't know you, they would find that cross, realize you were a Christian and give you a Christian burial.  It's kinda the same reason a soldier wears ID discs (a.k.a. dog tags) - if he can't speak for himself (either killed or wounded) he can be identified nonetheless.  That's also why they put the person's religion on the ID discs - so they know what kind of Chaplain to call.

A baptismal cross should be a good reminder of our mortality.

Just my two kopecks though...

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »

It's not a "good luck charm"...but, it's more than a mere ID tag, as well.

Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered; and let those who hate Him flee from His face. As smoke vanishes, let them vanish; and as wax melts from the presence of fire, so let the demons perish from the presence of those who love God and who sign themselves with the Sign of the Cross and say with gladness: Hail, most precious and life-giving Cross of the Lord, for Thou drivest away the demons by the power of our Lord Jesus Christ Who was crucified on thee, went down to hell and trampled on the power of the devil, and gave us thee, His honorable Cross, for driving away all enemies. O most precious and life-giving Cross of the Lord, help me with our holy Lady, the Virgin Theotokos, and with all the Saints throughout the ages. Amen.

I don't wear my baptismal cross for fear of losing it.  I actually am saving it for my burial.  Smiley  The gold one I wear everyday someone can take and use upon my death.  I want to be buried with the cross that was given me when I entered in to the Church.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Monk Cyprian

Jurisdiction: OCA

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »

Of course!  I never meant to imply it was "merely" anything.

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
Noesisaa

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »

Most people in the old orthodox world do not get any baptismal cross. I didn't get one, nor do I know someone who has one. And EVERYBODY gets baptized in Romania. Cheesy Many people do wear crosses (crucifixes more often) at their neck, but they buy them later, and they're usually made of gold, never of wood.

This is the first time I even hear about it, or about the whole thing about being buried with your baptismal cross. Huh.

Nice thing, sure, but an innovation as far as I can tell.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »

I don't think it really matters...the baptismal cross is the same as any blessed cross.  It's more sentimental than anything else.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: