Author Topic: Met Hilarion (Alfeyev): No Sacraments at all among Schismatics  (Read 13753 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
Re: Met Hilarion (Alfeyev): No Sacraments at all among Schismatics
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
I have said it elsewhere and I think it's worth repeating here: we have to de-demonize the words "schismatic" or "heretic".

So you want to use the word in a completely different sense than the Church Fathers did, who usually attributed some type of demonic influence or degenerate ulterior motives to those who disagreed with orthodoxy? Hey, I'm all for that, have at it. :)

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I have said it elsewhere and I think it's worth repeating here: we have to de-demonize the words "schismatic" or "heretic".

So you want to use the word in a completely different sense than the Church Fathers did, who usually attributed some type of demonic influence or degenerate ulterior motives to those who disagreed with orthodoxy? Hey, I'm all for that, have at it. :)

There is demonic influence in our everyday life.When we decide "it's enough" with having pacience with someone or something, when decide that hurting someone is something inevitable in our own search of happiness.

*There is* a point in talking about such influences in our lives, or in the lives of heretics, but there is also a point in talking about them as the creatures of God that they are. There is time and place for each kind of medicine and should apply them appropriately.

If St. Paul and all the Fathers could see the good, beautiful and profitable aspects of Paganisms, which are much worse than heresis in terms of demonic influence, why can't we use the same attitude toward the heretics?
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:44 PM »
So if a Unkrainian Orthodox KP Christian were to approach a Greek Orthodox priest for Holy Communion, he would be denied since he was never baptised and never chrismated and never absolved of his sins? Similarly it is forbidden for a Greek Orthodox to receive Holy Communion in a Ukrainian Orthodox KP Church?

Pretty much.

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
Fabio, if you have a fan club, I want to join it - if you don't, I want to start one! ;D
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)