OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:51:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what is going on in this forum then?  (Read 1733 times) Average Rating: 0
Internet Ministry

Faith: Christian

« on: October 09, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »

A respectful dialogue is killed by a mod moving it for no apparent reason and no one here seems to want to discuss their doctrine with another Christian? C'mon folks I'm new here; how does one go about interacting with "you"? Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:56:57 PM »

What dialogue was moved?

As for your other thread (which you can find here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30394.0.html ), I think the hard thing was responding to your initial post, which was a bit of a hodge-podge, and seemingly a old, hashed-out, somewhat stereotypical diatribe (which I wouldn't assume that you'd make - you freely admit to finding it elsewhere).  If it had been divided up into a series of posts, or divided within the post into smaller sections with more concrete points, then it may have gotten more attention.  It did appear, at least to me, that you were coming in looking to "stir the pot," which I don't believe to be the intention you wanted to convey.

As for the moderator's request, it is a firm forum policy that all material that is not original be cited, even material that exists in the public domain (i.e. not copyrighted).  Furthermore, if it is an extended tract or article, it should have a link to where it was originally found or, if not online, a full citation.  This information ensures that you're not plagiarizing, and allows anyone who is interested to conduct their own inquiry into the material. 

With this understanding, your initial post needs to be given this citation - you should send a Message to the moderator who gave you the warning, either by clicking the "My Messages" link near the top, and then selecting "New message" from the links to the left, and typing his user name in the "To" line, or you can click on his name in one of his posts, and near the bottom click the link that says "Send this member a personal message."  In the message, you should give him the link to the site where you found the information, so he can append it to your original post (users are able to edit their messages for a brief period of time, < 15 minutes, after they initially post it; after that point, only moderators, global moderators, or administrators can edit them).

As for "how does one go about interacting with "us," it's pretty simple: choose the forum that fits your interest (Liturgy, Orthodox-Catholic Discussion, Free-For-All: Religious Topics, etc.), and then either post in one of the threads, or start a new topic, being mindful of the Forum Rules and the Collected Board Policies (which are referred to you by PeterTheAleut in the other thread you started).  Be respectful and clear, and usually people here will respond in kind.

Enjoy your time on the forum!

Fr. George
Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »

I was part of unwelcoming committee that you faced when you arrived... sorry about that! I'd be happy to discuss Orthodox belief with you, as I'm sure others would be as well. Any particular subject that you're interested in knowing about first?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »

A respectful dialogue is killed by a mod moving it for no apparent reason

Another note:

If you have a disagreement with a moderator, global moderator, or administrator, about an official action taken (which is usually designated in a colored font - the mods use green, for example; otherwise, they are speaking as a regular user), you should PM that person, or the person that supervises them (want to know who that is?  Click here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12447.0.html).  It is not permitted to openly discuss official moderatorial actions on the forum.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 11:15:43 PM »

Quick primer:

1) If a topic gets moved around here, it's because it was started in a location it didn't belong, or because other people hijacked the thread and took it in a polemical or political direction.  

2) Answered by Fr George while I was typing

3) We are more than willing to discuss our doctrine, so long as someone is willing to respectfully listen.  But most of us have grown out of the playschool merry-go-round phase, so we might get kind of obstinate if someone shows up for the express intent of telling us how wrong we are and drags a thread out for 848 posts.  Examples of good discussion: "Why do you have icons?  Do you have any scriptural reason for icons?"  Bad discussion: "Icons are idols and an abomination before the Lord.  Repent, ye apostate heretics!"

4) When posting quotes from another forum, blog, or website always make sure you post a link (forum policy).  When quoting a book, cite references (not policy that I know of, but just good style)

C'mon folks I'm new here; how does one go about interacting with "you"? Smiley

5) I guess the best way to put it is "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."  And occasionally (or not so occasionally at times) "Turn the other cheek".  On the internet it is very easy to misread someone's intent in what they write, more so on an area that has been targeted by every Evangelical or Roman Catholic or even fanatical Orthodox (or member of non-official Orthodox sect) person with a bee in their bonnet and a modem.

Welcome to the forum! Cheesy

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Internet Ministry

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »

Orthodox belief

What do you want me to know about your Orthodox belief; "PM me" thanks?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:57:25 AM by Internet Ministry » Logged
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 02:56:25 PM »

Orthodox belief

That's a very broad question, especially since we don't know where you come from. So, how about starting with this:

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages. Light of Light; true God of true God; begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father, by whom all things were made; who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man. And He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried. And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead; whose Kingdom shall have no end.

And [we believe] in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets. In one Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

I'm going to need this.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »

Orthodox belief

Welcome to the boards IM.  Sorry you got off to a bumpy start.  This is a forum and we tend to enjoy discussion out in the open.  I'm not sure why you want us to PM you with our beliefs.    There are a series of articles put together here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=14&Itemid=2

on some of our beliefs.  Perhaps that will get you started. 

I am curious though, if you knew nothing about Orthodoxy how did you find us and what prompted you to join/comment in the first place? 

Again, welcome!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »

Orthodox belief

Curious and confused ...Why do you want people to pm you to discuss one on one ,Our Beliefs and your Beliefs,Why not here on the Open Forum so more people can Participate..... Huh Huh Huh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Internet Ministry

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »

Why not here on the Open Forum

a) Because it's my preference
b) Because I respect that it's private to some people
c) Because and as 'Azurestone' says: "don't know where you come from" and this is the Internet and therefore common sense dictates precaution
Internet Ministry

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »

starting with this:

Thank you/"PM me"? Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »

Thank you/"PM me"? Smiley

I'm perplexed.  You say "Thank you" to him, then "PM Me?" without ending the previous thought (instead entering the "/" which usually indicates connected thoughts or an "either/or" construction. 

By the way, usually discussion of faith topics happens publicly, not via PM, so many people can see and participate.  That is the purpose of a discussion forum, you know.

---------------------
Internet Ministry

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »

Thanks, now we're cookin'. Smiley
Internet Ministry

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »

perplexed

Forgive me but what part of "respect that it's private to some people" do you not seem to understand? Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »

perplexed
Forgive me but what part of "respect that it's private to some people" do you not seem to understand? Smiley

You're the only one not understanding here; my "perplexed" comment was regarding the grammar/syntax of the earlier part of your post.  As you wrote it, your statement of
Thank you/"PM me"?
reads "Thank you or PM me?" rather than what you likely intended to be "Thank you.  Will you PM me (to continue this discussion)?"  However, since I cannot assume what your intention really was, I was left in the position of interpreting your statement a written, which is a perplexing construct.  Hence, my question.

---------------------
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »

This thread is going nowhere Roll Eyes

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 07:30:55 PM »

Is it? Or is it going somewhere so profound that it's blowing your mind?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:31:28 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »

Is it? Or is it going somewhere so profound that it's blowing your mind?
Not sure...but that is a good question.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »

LOL, Asteriktos!  Cheesy

(actually, LOL at most of the thread!  Grin )
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:42:31 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »

This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays .....
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »

This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays .....

It may not be Thursday anywhere on this Earth, but maybe it is on Seti Alpha 5.

---------------------
Internet Ministry

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »

Hi, what version of bible do "you" read? Still reading from the link you sent but also noticing the term "Fr." being used and was wondering if Orthodox has Catholic roots?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »

Hi, what version of bible do "you" read? Still reading from the link you sent but also noticing the term "Fr." being used and was wondering if Orthodox has Catholic roots?

In America a wide range of Bibles are used, from the new-fangled NIV, to the KJV, to the Orthodox Study Bible. As for how many books are in it, the Orthodox follow the ancient tradition of arguing amongst each other about that issue. You will sometimes hear a theologian or bishop proclaim that such-and-such a position is the definitive Orthodox position, though he'll then ignore that other local Orthodox Churches have come to a completely different conclusion.

Regarding Catholic roots... not at all. The Catholics have Orthodox roots. Smiley
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »

Of course some of us believe the Catholics and Orthodox share the same roots - but I won't "branch" out onto that limb right now! Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 11:45:19 AM »

a) Because it's my preference
Your preferences appear to contradict the purpose of this forum.
b) Because I respect that it's private to some people
If our beliefs were private, we wouldn't broadcast and vigorously defend them all over this forum.
c) Because and as 'Azurestone' says: "don't know where you come from" and this is the Internet and therefore common sense dictates precaution
That's why we have usernames, hidden email addresses, etcetera, to protect our anonymity (if we so choose).

What faith community do you come from?  Or, did I miss your answer?

Welcome.  Grin

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »

Of course some of us believe the Catholics and Orthodox share the same roots - but I won't "branch" out onto that limb right now! Grin

Lol...  I agree with you though... I suppose in my eagerness to overturn a possible misconception, I went too far in the opposite direction.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »

Personally, I like the NAS.  I've used it since I was a teenager in the Protestant church. 

Orthodox have Catholic roots??  That made me chuckle.  We trace our "roots" back to the Apostolic times.  In the ancient church there were five Patriarchs..one of which was the Bishop of Rome.  In 1054 there was a schism between the four Eastern Patriarchs (Antioch, Jerusalem, Alexandria, Constantinople) and the Bishop of Rome.   Perhaps you should read this article on the Great East/West Schism:

http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/Great_Schism

Yes, we do call our priest's Father and their wives are given a title: Khouria (Antiochian), Matushka (Russian), Pani (Ukraninan??), Presbyteria (Greek).  I can't remember any of the others. 

Internet Ministry

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »

In America a wide range of Bibles are used

So are you saying "you" don't endorse/quote from/learn from any of the several versions of the holy bibles available?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »

So are you saying "you" don't endorse/quote from/learn from any of the several versions of the holy bibles available?

How do you deduce this from his words? And why do you put "you" in quotes?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »

In Serbian Priests wife called  Popadija..

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »

I usually use my KJV Thompson Chain-Reference Bible; that's the one I quote from most times, and it's also the one I know when I remember verses. Regarding the apocryphal books, I used to use an Oxford Annotated Bible w/Apocrypha, but I now use the Orthodox Study Bible.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: