OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:16:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clarification  (Read 511 times) Average Rating: 0
RileyB

Faith: Traditional Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Wichita

« on: October 12, 2010, 07:52:32 AM »

Is "Self Ruled" Antiochan Orthodox, considered to be a part of the Holy Orthodox Church, or is it an autonomous splinter group?  I want to be entirely sure that any conversion I receive will be good and true, and accepted by the Church.  I also want to ensure that I will be fully in communion with the Church started by Christ.

Regards                            IC    XC
                                          +
Rolando Bonilla DeLaCruz      NI    KA
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »

The Antiochians are indeed part of the Orthodox Church. Self-rule, or autonomy, in this case just means that their mother Church has granted them a bit more control/authority when it comes to administrative issues.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:38:23 AM »

They are definitely under the Patriarch of Antioch.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »

RileyB, you have to get used to the fact that some names in Orthodoxy may be a bit misleading. For instance, some ACROD parishes are -according to their names - Greek Catholic. Wink
RileyB

Faith: Traditional Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Wichita

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »

Thank you very much.  I just wanted to verify that they were not a splinter faction that had turned their backs on the Patriarch.  I very much appreciate the clarification.

Regards                            IC    XC
                                          +
Rolando Bonilla DeLaCruz      NI    KA
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »

Is "Self Ruled" Antiochan Orthodox, considered to be a part of the Holy Orthodox Church, or is it an autonomous splinter group?  I want to be entirely sure that any conversion I receive will be good and true, and accepted by the Church.  I also want to ensure that I will be fully in communion with the Church started by Christ.

Your future bishop, if you are at Wichita among the Antiochians, is the secretary of the Episcopal Assembly for North America. This is one thing the EAs make easier: every canonical Orthodox Church has signed the Chambesy accords, except for the OCA. That the OCA Holy Synod is in the EA and on its registry of canonical bishops for North America moots any issue of their canonicity (but doesn't address that the OCA is not bound by Chambesy). So you won't have a problem: even the Western Rite Orthodox of the Self-Rules Antiochian Archdiocese are good and true and accepted by the Church (although many, for instance, in the GOA and the OCA (though that I am told is changing) fume about that, they don't deny it).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: