OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:18:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever read The Orthodox Liturgy by Hugh Wybrew....  (Read 753 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:58 AM »

..if not do you know of any good books on the development and History of the Byzantine rite.

Blessings
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »

I haven't read it, but it looks very interesting. Here is the link for it at Google Books.   Smiley

http://books.google.com/books?id=Es8IUlpYMGAC&lpg=PP1&dq=Hugh%20Wybrew&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:04:25 AM »

I started reading it, and had to put it aside.  Too many interruptions.  I'll start from the beginning when I get the chance.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »

I read this book last month and I think you'll find it to be a great, honest, historical assessment.  Wybrew has a great amount of respect for the Byzantine liturgy, but he also doesn't pull his punches.  It's definitely worth the time.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »

I think Wybrew is incorrect on a few things, but the book is definitely worth looking at.  Just make sure that you try to read it with an open mind but also a critical one: Wybrew is not the final authority on all things liturgical or Orthodox.  (He is Anglican, and I don't believe that liturgy is his discipline of expertise.)   Still, it is a very thorough treatment considering its small size, and I think that he is right on target about many things in Eastern liturgical development. 

Fr. Robert Taft (a jesuit of the Byzantine rite!) is widely renowned as a scholar who has looked at Eastern liturgical development from an historical perspective.  You might want to look at his The Byantine Rite: A Short History.  

I highly recommend Fr. Alexander Schmemann's For the Life of the World and Liturgy and Tradtion (edited by Thomas Fisch) for a greater understanding of the meaning and purpose of liturgy.  (I know that there is a great dislike for Fr. Alexander's works in some circles, but don't let that stop you.  There is also a great deal of enthusiasm for his work as well.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:06:53 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:44:40 AM »

I highly recommend Fr. Alexander Schmemann's For the Life of the World and Liturgy and Tradtion (edited by Thomas Fisch) for a greater understanding of the meaning and purpose of liturgy.  (I know that there is a great dislike for Fr. Alexander's works in some circles, but don't let that stop you.  There is also a great deal of enthusiasm for his work as well.)

Ditto! I think that Father Alexander of blessed memory is a modern day Chrysostom, as well as being one of the most outstanding educators and theologians in our history.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
dcointin

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »

I read it some years ago and thought it was a very informative and objective book.  He's not wholly uncritical, but also not biased in any way that I could observe.  It shed some light for me on the structure of the DL in particular, and for example why we have the Little Entrance.  I would recommend reading it.
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »

I read this book last month and I think you'll find it to be a great, honest, historical assessment.  Wybrew has a great amount of respect for the Byzantine liturgy, but he also doesn't pull his punches.  It's definitely worth the time.

Agree. Good overview. Taft is a reliable "authority," too, although I am a little uncomfortable with the fact that neither of these gentlemen are Orthodox. Gets us a little bit back into some of the issues that popped up with Archbishop Williams at SVS.

I guess the question might be: What are you looking for? A guide to what's going on? Spiritual reflections/meditations? Technical discussion of liturgical theology? Etc., etc.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: