Author Topic: Anyone ever read The Orthodox Liturgy by Hugh Wybrew....  (Read 903 times)

Offline Vlad

• Elder
Anyone ever read The Orthodox Liturgy by Hugh Wybrew....
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:58 AM »
..if not do you know of any good books on the development and History of the Byzantine rite.

Blessings

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
Re: Anyone ever read The Orthodox Liturgy by Hugh Wybrew....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »
I haven't read it, but it looks very interesting. Here is the link for it at Google Books.   :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=Es8IUlpYMGAC&lpg=PP1&dq=Hugh%20Wybrew&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline Agia Marina

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
  • St. Marina of Antioch
    • Holy Cross Monastery
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:04:25 AM »
I started reading it, and had to put it aside.  Too many interruptions.  I'll start from the beginning when I get the chance.
“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
I read this book last month and I think you'll find it to be a great, honest, historical assessment.  Wybrew has a great amount of respect for the Byzantine liturgy, but he also doesn't pull his punches.  It's definitely worth the time.

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
I think Wybrew is incorrect on a few things, but the book is definitely worth looking at.  Just make sure that you try to read it with an open mind but also a critical one: Wybrew is not the final authority on all things liturgical or Orthodox.  (He is Anglican, and I don't believe that liturgy is his discipline of expertise.)   Still, it is a very thorough treatment considering its small size, and I think that he is right on target about many things in Eastern liturgical development. 

Fr. Robert Taft (a jesuit of the Byzantine rite!) is widely renowned as a scholar who has looked at Eastern liturgical development from an historical perspective.  You might want to look at his The Byantine Rite: A Short History.  

I highly recommend Fr. Alexander Schmemann's For the Life of the World and Liturgy and Tradtion (edited by Thomas Fisch) for a greater understanding of the meaning and purpose of liturgy.  (I know that there is a great dislike for Fr. Alexander's works in some circles, but don't let that stop you.  There is also a great deal of enthusiasm for his work as well.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:06:53 AM by Pravoslavbob »
Atheists have noetic deficiencies.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:44:40 AM »

I highly recommend Fr. Alexander Schmemann's For the Life of the World and Liturgy and Tradtion (edited by Thomas Fisch) for a greater understanding of the meaning and purpose of liturgy.  (I know that there is a great dislike for Fr. Alexander's works in some circles, but don't let that stop you.  There is also a great deal of enthusiasm for his work as well.)

Ditto! I think that Father Alexander of blessed memory is a modern day Chrysostom, as well as being one of the most outstanding educators and theologians in our history.

Offline dcointin

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »
I read it some years ago and thought it was a very informative and objective book.  He's not wholly uncritical, but also not biased in any way that I could observe.  It shed some light for me on the structure of the DL in particular, and for example why we have the Little Entrance.  I would recommend reading it.

Offline Hermogenes

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »
I read this book last month and I think you'll find it to be a great, honest, historical assessment.  Wybrew has a great amount of respect for the Byzantine liturgy, but he also doesn't pull his punches.  It's definitely worth the time.

Agree. Good overview. Taft is a reliable "authority," too, although I am a little uncomfortable with the fact that neither of these gentlemen are Orthodox. Gets us a little bit back into some of the issues that popped up with Archbishop Williams at SVS.

I guess the question might be: What are you looking for? A guide to what's going on? Spiritual reflections/meditations? Technical discussion of liturgical theology? Etc., etc.