OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 02:50:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a good Bible to purchase?  (Read 512 times) Average Rating: 0
chaplain76

« on: October 11, 2010, 02:50:39 PM »

As a Protestant who is moved by the claims of the Orthodox Church, I would really like to begin studying the Deuterocanonical books.  What English translation/publication is most widely accepted by the Orthodox?

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ (Titus 2:11).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »

It's hard to gauge what's "most widely accepted." There's an online Orthodox translation of the Septuagint here:

http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/zot.htm

You can also go with the Orthodox Study Bible, which some Orthodox like, but others have many reservations about.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
CalloftheTor

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »

The Revised Standard Version is decent. As well as the King James Version. Some protestants are surprised to learn that the Authorized KJV includes these books.

Good studying!

Great art Thou, O Lord, and wonderful are Thy works, and no words shall be sufficient to hymn Thy wonders
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »

The Revised Standard Version is decent. As well as the King James Version. Some protestants are surprised to learn that the Authorized KJV includes these books.

A proof for disbelievers: http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Authorized-James-Version-Apocrypha/dp/0192835254 Wink
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »

It's hard to gauge what's "most widely accepted." There's an online Orthodox translation of the Septuagint here:

You can also go with the Orthodox Study Bible, which some Orthodox like, but others have many reservations about.

The OSB is a nice translation.  I wish I could get a copy of the translation without the commentary.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »

The OSB is a nice translation.  I wish I could get a copy of the translation without the commentary.

I agree- the translation itself isn't too bad, though perhaps inconsistent. I  still prefer an edition in "traditional" English... hopefully someone will print Michael Asser's translation at some point.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags: Bible 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: