OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:12:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can a RC confess to an Orthodox priest  (Read 740 times) Average Rating: 0
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: May 19, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »

Since I am inquiring into Orthodoxy I obviously am not in good standing with  the RC church and have problems with their theology, can I confess to an Orthodox priest? Conversion does take a while.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »

Since I am inquiring into Orthodoxy I obviously am not in good standing with  the RC church and have problems with their theology, can I confess to an Orthodox priest? Conversion does take a while.

Yes you can , but he won't pronounce absolution though....When you convert seek full emersion baptisim ,then you don't need to confess ,all sins are washed away....  police

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »

you can talk to an Orthodox priest for advice and counseling but he would not be able to give you sacramental absolution.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »

Since I am inquiring into Orthodoxy I obviously am not in good standing with  the RC church and have problems with their theology, can I confess to an Orthodox priest? Conversion does take a while.

If you become a catechuman you are often invited to make regular confession but you will just get a blessing at the end and not absolution.

I don't know what would happen if you are not a catechuman but a long conversation in the Priests office can be a similar experience. Once you are received as Orthodox all of that discussion can be Absolved.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:29:40 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »

Yes you can , but he won't pronounce absolution though....When you convert seek full emersion baptisim ,then you don't need to confess ,all sins are washed away....  police

At our Serbian parish the practice is to do a life confession the evening before baptism, chrismation and communion. I honestly don't remember if there was any absolution involved.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:18:05 AM »

Yes you can , but he won't pronounce absolution though....When you convert seek full emersion baptisim ,then you don't need to confess ,all sins are washed away....  police

At our Serbian parish the practice is to do a life confession the evening before baptism, chrismation and communion. I honestly don't remember if there was any absolution involved.

I was a God Father 4 times over ,as far as i know the ones that got baptised never mentioned they had to confess, the ones that were chrismated only ,had to fast and confess to recieve Holy Communion though..... Huh

If Fr.Ambrose sees this he can correct where i may of erred at... he knows best.... police
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:23:19 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:26:10 AM »

I also had to do a life confession... but I don't remember if there was an absolution either  Undecided

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:17:04 AM »

Reception by Baptism means there is no need for confession and absolution.   But people sometimes ask to make a life confession beforehand and I think they should be allowed to do so.  But there is no absolution since Baptism washes away all sins.

Reception by Chrismation involves a life confession before the ceremony, either immediately before or a day earlier if that is more convenient.  Absolution in not given following this confession.  Instead it is held over and comprises the very last prayer recited over the newly Chrismated person at the end of the ceremony of Reception, after the Renunciation of errors. profession of the Creed and Chrismation.

This is the practice of the Russian and Serbian Churches.  Generally speaking their Service books are identical.  I cannot speak for Greek or Antiochian Orthodox practice.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »

Reception by Baptism means there is no need for confession and absolution.   But people sometimes ask to make a life confession beforehand and I think they should be allowed to do so.  But there is no absolution since Baptism washes away all sins.

I agree that confession should be allowed and even encouraged if there is baptism. The New Testament usually pairs the two together, at least with the baptism of the Forerunner.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: