OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:25:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abbreviation of the Psalms during the Liturgy  (Read 718 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: October 28, 2010, 04:15:52 PM »

I attended a ROCOR mission several weeks ago, and they didn't shorten the two psalms sung during the liturgy. I hadn't seen this before, and I've been to a lot of different "jurisdictions." Is the Russian Church the only one that does these psalms in their entirety, or are there other church as well? Does anyone know when the abbreviation during the liturgy began?
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »

I attended a ROCOR mission several weeks ago, and they didn't shorten the two psalms sung during the liturgy. I hadn't seen this before, and I've been to a lot of different "jurisdictions." Is the Russian Church the only one that does these psalms in their entirety, or are there other church as well? Does anyone know when the abbreviation during the liturgy began?
Some ROCOR parishes use the usual abbreviations, some don't. My own parish usually uses the whole psalm, but it depends on what music we use I think. My old parish, also ROCOR, never used the whole psalm.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:44:15 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:03 PM »

What other kinds of abbreviations are in our services?
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:36:36 PM »

My OCA church sings the whole psalms.

The prokeimena are all abbreviated psalms. Also the kathismata, which normally include the readings from the Psalter (the kathismata we sing in parishes today are actually just refrains to the psalms). As for the canons, we usually only sing excerpts. Originally, all nine Biblical odes plus the canons of the day were chanted. The Praises at the end of Matins are normally abbreviated. The Liturgy also has a number of litanies between the Gospel and the Great Entrance that are usually left out. And of course, most(?) parishes leave out the Hours between Matins and the Liturgy.

If you did a full liturgical cycle (Vespers, Matins, Liturgy) with no abbreviations whatsoever, it would take all night.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:04 PM »

The usual that I have seen are as follows:

Vespers

Psalm 103 usually abbreviated for Vigil, but fully read during regular Vespers (ROCOR)
Kathisma usually read in ROCOR, abbreviated in the Antiochian Church I attended

Matins

Canon heavily abbreviated in the Antiochian Church, not so in the ROCOR

Liturgy

ROCOR Church said the Typical Psalms in their entirety unless the Typikon specified Antiphons
Antiochian Church I attended always used Antiphons instead of Typical Psalms
Serbs use abbreviated Typical Psalms

ROCOR has verses between the Beatitudes, not consistent in singing the verses
Serbs - you mean there are verses between the Beatitudes?
Antiochians - you mean there are Beatitudes? (usually sing another antiphon)

ROCOR and Serbs - prayers after Gospel said
Antiochians - Really?

After this, all three that I have attended are about the same.

This has been my experience.  I am sure that there are great variations even within the jurisdictions.  I am totally unfamiliar with the Greek practice since the only contacts that I have had with Greeks have been with Old Calendar Greeks who tend to be very similar to ROCOR except that the order of the services tends to be different (Compline used more, and Matins in the morning rather than during the Vigil).  I don't recall hearing of a lot of abbreviating with these groups, but that does not mean that they don't.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:48:13 PM by Punch » Logged

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:11:34 AM »

The ROCOR church near me abbreviates the two psalms, though I notice that in Psalm 102 they include a line that is left out in the OCA abbreviation at my church: "Who redeemeth thy life from corruption, who crowneth thee with mercy and compassion."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Subdeacon Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:14:04 AM »

Marvellous timing!

I blogged about this only two days ago, and there's a little poll for you to take as well to give an indication of how widespread such abbreviations are.

Here it is.

In Christ,
M
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:14:28 AM by Subdeacon Michael » Logged

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: