OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Baptist leader on yoga: Not Christianity  (Read 1287 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 09, 2010, 12:09:13 PM »

I would agree. Yoga is not Christianity. Neither is weight-lifting. Smiley

From the AP:

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A Southern Baptist leader who is calling for Christians to avoid yoga and its spiritual attachments is getting plenty of pushback from enthusiasts who defend the ancient practice.

Southern Baptist Seminary President Albert Mohler says the stretching and meditative discipline derived from Eastern religions is not a Christian pathway to God.

Mohler said he objects to "the idea that the body is a vehicle for reaching consciousness with the divine."

"That's just not Christianity," Mohler told The Associated Press.
Mohler said feedback has come through e-mail and comments on blogs and other websites since he wrote an essay to address questions about yoga he has heard for years.

"I'm really surprised by the depth of the commitment to yoga found on the part of many who identify as Christians," Mohler said."

I'm a bit disturbed with Mohler's denigration of the body. That's not a Christian perspective.

Mohler, however, saves himself eventually:

Mohler said many people have written him to say they're simply doing exercises and forgoing yoga's eastern mysticism and meditation.

"My response to that would be simple and straightforward: You're just not doing yoga," Mohler said.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:13:20 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:29:54 PM »

Agreed. Yoga is unChristian, but Mohler is speaking as a Gnostic.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »

Yoga is perhaps like Freemasonry in its relationship to Christianity: at the initial stages, it's a simple hobby. Freemasonry is an attractive old boy's club and a way to be active in the community, while yoga is a method for physical conditioning. However, the more one enters into these pastimes, they more he or she is forced to adopt non-Christian views. I spent most of the last year travelling in India, and the Westerners I met who came to attend advanced yoga courses were expected to perform Hindu rituals (such as addressing the sun as a deity) that cannot be reconciled with Orthodox Christianity.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:09:41 PM by CRCulver » Logged
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:05:56 PM »

Yoga is perhaps like Freemasonry in its relationship to Christianity: at the initial stages, it's a simple hobby. Freemasonry is an attractive old boy's club and a way to be active in the community, while yoga is a method for physical conditioning. However, the more one enters into these pastimes, they more he or she is forced to adopt non-Christian views. I spent most of the last year travelling in India, and the Westerners I met who came to attend advanced yoga courses were expected to perform Hindu rituals (such as addressing the sun as a deity) that cannot be reconciled with Orthodox Christianity.

Agreed!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »

When most Americans think of yoga, they are really talking about the asanas or exercises.  Those are not harmful.

The rest of yoga represents an unnecessary risk.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »

I've been very critical of yoga in any form ever since I read, "The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios."  I wish my friend would have never given that book to me as a gift.  Disturbing book.  :-/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:41:46 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »

I don't know about doing yoga... but I've watched those attractive women do yoga on the exercise channel... probably not conducive to cultivating a Christian mindset...  angel

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »

A friend once claimed to me that it was akin to eating food dedicated to idols and could do no harm to Christians - but if it is the christian doing the dedicating then much harm may follow. The best advice I was given about such things is if in doubt stay away from it.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »

Any medical system, anywhere in the world, has at some point been informed by pagan or other non-Christian philosophies. That's just as much true of western medicine as it is of Indian or Chinese medicine.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »

I've been very critical of yoga in any form ever since I read, "The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios."  I wish my friend would have never given that book to me as a gift.  Disturbing book.  :-/

Can you tell us more about this book, and why it was so disturbing? I'm intrigued.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »

Can you tell us more about this book, and why it was so disturbing? I'm intrigued.

Selam
Some info.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »

Selam
Some info.

Thanks.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »

Agreed!

Amen!

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »

The advantages of Christian Yoga.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:47:12 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
kazakage
Nasrani

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »

My parents are studying Yoga and their instructor is a Sufi muslim Grin. They omit everything related to Hindu Gods ,worshiping Sun part..etc. and practice it just for their health..

Its kinda funny that in India, we dont label it as a Christian Yoga, Hindu Yoga..blah blah
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »

Selam
Some info.

Thanks.

Selam

I read this book and loved it! Very scary stuff, but very important reading. In an effort to compare Orthodox mysticism with Hindu mysticism by personally experiencing both, the author unwittingly opened himself up to demonic possession. Many religious and spiritual movements that masquerade as peaceful and loving are actually full of demons, darkness, and death.

Thanks for the recommendation Ionnis!

Selam

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »

I've been very critical of yoga in any form ever since I read, "The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios."  I wish my friend would have never given that book to me as a gift.  Disturbing book.  :-/

Selam
Some info.

Thanks.

Selam
Many religious and spiritual movements that masquerade as peaceful and loving are actually full of demons, darkness, and death.
True, but the young man in the book encountered a few individuals connected to Hinduism, individuals who apparently were not all that pure, and who perhaps engaged in black magic. You can find such individuals in any religion. The young man did not encounter other Hindus, who have a much more positive reputation, like Ramana Maharshi, or Swami Ramdas (not to be confused with the American "Ram Dass"). I suspect that if he had done so, his experience of Hinduism would have been much more positive. I don't think one can judge a whole religious tradition, or set of religious traditions ("Hinduism" is much more of a whole set of religious traditions), on the basis of one's encounter with only a few persons, of questionable morality, of that tradition. However, I think the book does a good job at showing that just because someone claims to be 'holy', or claims to be 'enlightened', doesn't mean that that person actually is.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:44:59 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »

Many religious and spiritual movements that masquerade as peaceful and loving are actually full of demons, darkness, and death.

And not just non-Christian movements, I'm afraid. When I initially become interested in Christianity, I had a frightening brush with a very deceptive Christian cult (that is, a cult masquerading as Christianity) that I suspect has its share of the three d's you mention. They twist the Bible in order to dupe young seekers and basically imprison them with fear and guilt. It was very creepy. Fortunately I saw through them fairly quickly.

http://www.rickross.com/groups/icc.html

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:43:33 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »

And not just non-Christian movements, I'm afraid. When I initially become interested in Christianity, I had a frightening brush with a very deceptive Christian cult (that is, a cult masquerading as Christianity) that I suspect has its share of the three d's you mention. They twist the Bible in order to dupe young seekers and basically imprison them with fear and guilt. It was very creepy. Fortunately I saw through them fairly quickly.

http://www.rickross.com/groups/icc.html
Members of this group (or, rather, a very pretty, young, female member of this group) tried to get me to join, in Boston, way back in the late '80s/early '90s.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 12:55:43 AM »

Its kinda funny that in India, we dont label it as a Christian Yoga, Hindu Yoga..blah blah

That won't do, that simply won't do.  When in doubt, label something.  Wink

I once had a South Asian religions professor who insisted that Yoga, stripped of its religious/spiritual teachings, be referred to as "stretching and breathing." 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 01:35:11 AM »

That won't do, that simply won't do.  When in doubt, label something.  Wink

I once had a South Asian religions professor who insisted that Yoga, stripped of its religious/spiritual teachings, be referred to as "stretching and breathing." 

Technically speaking, he is of course, correct.  Yoga has several meanings, all of which imply uniting oneself to God (however that may be understood to one's school of thought).  In America, when we say 'Yoga', we're typically speaking of Hatha Yoga.  This is the physical/breath postures (called 'asanas') that we think of when we Westerners think of Yoga.  Stripped of all it's spirituality, I think these physical postures are quite beneficial. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 01:38:02 AM »

*shakes head* How are you gonna sell gym/class memberships calling it "stretching and breathing"? Is outrage!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 02:02:22 AM »

*shakes head* How are you gonna sell gym/class memberships calling it "stretching and breathing"? Is outrage!

Definitely unmarketable.  Maybe you could advertise as "Stretching and Breathing NOW with MORE Enya & Sitars!"

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: