OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:29:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Busyness  (Read 354 times) Average Rating: 0
Ioannes

Faith: Orthodox

The end is now.

« on: October 08, 2010, 12:37:08 AM »

As a weak Orthodox individual I need to be around people, it helps me. It is like support or something for one another. What I find so frustrating is that everyone seems to be too busy to do anything. Even the priest, he is doing whatever during the week and most of the time its hard to get ahold of him. I wish we had church more often, but everyone is too busy! When Abouna comes over, it seems as if he is always in a big hurry and wants to move things along. This is aggravating, sometimes I just want to scream but I said to hell with it I am just going to church and working on my salvation and if people want to hang out then cool, I dont hate anyone or anything but I have just given up on trying to have a support network of Orthodox people.

Anyone else notice this? Its killing the church.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:09:19 AM »

I really haven't had the same experience. I've actually experienced the local Copts have a fair amount of time available for fellowship.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:18:38 AM »

As a weak Orthodox individual I need to be around people, it helps me. It is like support or something for one another. What I find so frustrating is that everyone seems to be too busy to do anything. Even the priest, he is doing whatever during the week and most of the time its hard to get ahold of him. I wish we had church more often, but everyone is too busy! When Abouna comes over, it seems as if he is always in a big hurry and wants to move things along. This is aggravating, sometimes I just want to scream but I said to hell with it I am just going to church and working on my salvation and if people want to hang out then cool, I dont hate anyone or anything but I have just given up on trying to have a support network of Orthodox people.

Anyone else notice this? Its killing the church.

With regard to the priest, it could be he is stretched thin and literally doesn't have the ability to hang out for long periods of time.  It's not that he doesn't care.  It just could be that his congregation has a lot of demands and needs.  Add to that the fact that he also (if he's married) has his own family to take care of, and then in some churches the priest will be holding down a secular job on week days.  I don't know your priest's situation, but I would try to be understanding.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:26:53 AM »

I really haven't had the same experience. I've actually experienced the local Copts have a fair amount of time available for fellowship.

As to the Priest, yes, the local Coptic Priest is seemingly very busy. But if the Sunday turnout is any indication of the number of people he has to spiritually counsel, I can very much understand him being so busy. There is not much that can be done about that, save perhaps to create more congregations, something which I don't know if the Church has the resources to do to such an extent at this point.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ioannes

Faith: Orthodox

The end is now.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »

I can sympathize with our priest, I really can. But it seems as if there is no support, check that, there is no sort of support group unless someone is in serious trouble, and even then only a few people seem to take notice, perhaps on behalf of the rest of the congregation. But for people who want to have fellowship as much as possible, have liturgy more than one day a week, etc. than there is no possibility of that. Thats just my observation actually, it seems as if church is one the back burner for most.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: