OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:27:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 2793 times) Average Rating: 0
Historynut

OC.net

« on: March 13, 2004, 03:18:16 AM »

Hi guys and girls as you might have guessed I am a new member been lurking for a few days and decided to join the board. So I am a catecumen(sp?) in my local GOC parish and am going to be chrismated the sunday after pascha. I found Orthodoxy while in college where i was a classical Civ major. My faith background is that i was raised and baptised baptist and later went evangelical and now by the grace of god I am becoming orthodox. Anyway I am looking for a good baptismal cross and am intrigued by the soldiers cross you can find at most orthodox stores online does anyone know the history of this cross? Anyway I am excited to have found an active orthodox board and am looking forward to my expericence here. Cheesy

NULL
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 10:36:04 AM »

Welcome to the board!  You'll find several crosses here, and I would also reccomend checking eBay, as you might find something extraordinary.  Just do a search for "orthodox cross".

I do not know the history of the soldier's cross, but I am sure that someone here does.  Again, welcome.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 01:02:16 PM »

Welcome aboard - if you are coming to Orthodoxy with the Greeks you are in for a wild ride!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 02:23:48 PM »

From one history nut to another, welcome!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 05:54:34 PM »

Greetings to you, from a history pedant.  Wink

What times/places are your special interests, if I may ask?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 06:19:12 PM »

Welcome aboard - if you are coming to Orthodoxy with the Greeks you are in for a wild ride!  

Take back the GOA!   Cool

-Yazid Ibrahim
Historynut

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 08:01:20 PM »

Well Ebor my main interests are in Roman/Byzantine history in general or late bronze age empires, but pretty much I will read anything other than american history I think the 8000000 classes of that i had to take in college and grade school should suffice  Grin Ok and what the heck does the whole take back the GOA thing mean i have seen you say that a few times now and I am totally confused.

NULL
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 09:40:47 PM »

Back when Howard Dean was still a semi-serious candidate (did anyone other the communist wing of the Dems take him seriously?) in many of his speaches he would say "take back the White House."  I am a traditionalist yet also a member of the sometimes very modernist GOA....somehow the phrase "Take back the GOA!" was coined.

Ever since then I've been taking back the GOA! http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2641
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 10:18:45 PM »

Well Ebor my main interests are in Roman/Byzantine history in general or late bronze age empires, but pretty much I will read anything other than american history I think the 8000000 classes of that i had to take in college and grade school should suffice  Grin Ok and what the heck does the whole take back the GOA thing mean i have seen you say that a few times now and I am totally confused.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Historynut

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 10:31:57 PM »

Lol Howard Dean what a tool.....anyway now I know and knowing is half the battle....GI JOE! Wooo sorry about that had a kindergarten flash back. Ok what the heck Ebor you qoutef my post and then not say anything Huh

NULL
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 10:40:48 PM »

Sorry, Historynut, I've tried to post something 3 times and the gremlins have eaten it...  

I was just going to say that I have no idea about the GOA as I'm an Anglican myself and asked if you'd read much of the bronze age in Asia...

My computer is out to get me, I think... or I shouldn't have a MMOG running at the same time.

Ebor

Historynut

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 11:17:13 PM »

I hear ya computer problems are the bane of my exsistence :'( Any way yes i have read lots about the bronze age in Asia particularly things about the Hittites and Sumerians. Personally I am fascinated by the sudden collapse of the Bronze Age Empires around 1200.

NULL
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 12:01:59 AM »

Dustin, Cap'n Roberto and I already took back the GOA on Theophany.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 01:30:12 AM »

Dustin, Cap'n Roberto and I already took back the GOA on Theophany.

Who's Dustin?  Huh

~Anastasios  Cool

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 09:52:14 AM »

My computer is out to get me, I think... or I shouldn't have a MMOG running at the same time.

Hmm, since Middle Earth online isn't running yet, I'm guessing Everquest or Dark Ages.  I've played Dark Ages a bit myself, only got up to 13th level though in my free month.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2004, 10:40:01 AM »

Asheron's Call. I've been playing for years.  I will admit to *waiting* for Middle Earth on-line with bated er...keyboard?

Ebor

Pavlos

OrthodoxChristianity.net

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2004, 06:53:57 PM »

lol

I have played Asheron's Call for years as well....what server?

-L
Pavlos
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 03:16:23 PM »

Wonderful!  I started on Leafcull and have some chars on Harvestgain and Frostfell as well.  How about you?  What sort of chars?  I'm melee/archer types.  I think Cap't Roberto said he did AC at some point too.

Oh yes, and to to bring this screeching back on topic.  Historynut, what do you think could have been major factors to the decline around 1200?

Ebor

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: