OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox apparitions  (Read 5553 times) Average Rating: 0
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »

Just two comments:

1) It is extremely unfair - not to mention inaccurate - to compare Fabio Leite to Jack Chick.

2)  I actually agree with stashko (waits for lightning bolts! Grin ) - there ARE an awful lot of spurious visions of Mary which deceive a lot of people, and may well be demonic.  Many great RC saints such as Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross advise us to reject ALL such visions, just to be safe.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »

Interesting "Orthodox" apparition. Throw in a dash of ecumenism because the particular object is not a weeping icon, but a statue!

http://www.windsorstar.com/life/Skeptics+question+weeping+Virgin+Mary+statue+Windsor/3772003/story.html

WINDSOR, Ont. — The Orthodox Christian church to which Fadia Ibrahim belongs is not endorsing her claims that her Virgin Mary statue is miraculous.

Father John Ayoub of the St. Ignatius of Antioch Church in Windsor said he’s well aware of the stir that the statue has caused.

He said Ibrahim approached him in March with stories about the statue, which is said to weep tears of healing oil at night and which has attracted scores of pilgrims to a formerly quiet Windsor neighbourhood.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »

We Don't Accept Idols in Holy Orthodox Churches ,im not sure about home thou, Catholics Could have it if the want it...... Grin
I don't recognize the western Orthodox churches  as Orthodox ,if Some have Idols inside ,In my book there not orthodox ..... Grin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:28:34 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2010, 03:30:39 AM »

I don't recognize the western Orthodox churches  as Orthodox ,if Some have Idols inside ,In my book there not orthodox ..... Grin

Fortunately, it's not your job to decide who is Orthodox and who isn't. Smiley
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »

1) It is extremely unfair - not to mention inaccurate - to compare Fabio Leite to Jack Chick.
I usually reject all those who attack Holy Mother Church, just to be safe Wink

2)  I actually agree with stashko (waits for lightning bolts! Grin ) - there ARE an awful lot of spurious visions of Mary which deceive a lot of people, and may well be demonic.  Many great RC saints such as Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross advise us to reject ALL such visions, just to be safe.
I guess I don't get bent out of shape about apparitions because, even though there are several approved by our Church, they have never been a big part (or any part really) of my spirituality so I don't really think about them. I don't believe the ones approved by the Church are demonic though.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »

Just two comments:

2)  I actually agree with stashko (waits for lightning bolts! Grin ) - there ARE an awful lot of spurious visions of Mary which deceive a lot of people, and may well be demonic.  Many great RC saints such as Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross advise us to reject ALL such visions, just to be safe.
1) I don't think that Fabio is Jack Chick. In fact, I think that most Fabio's posts at OC.net are fantastic. But in this particular thread, I do believe that Fabio's tactics are similar to the tactics of Jack Chick.
2) Yes there are some that are not genuine, but I doubt one that has been approved by the Church, and carries with it such universal Catholic support would be demonic. "The Church of the Living God, the Pillar and Foundation of Truth."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:32:12 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags: apparitions 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: