OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:30:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Record Using a Mic and My Computer?  (Read 1777 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »

So I'd like to record some of my guitar playing onto my computer and onto a cd using a microphone. I have a mic and I'm sure my computer has the capacity to do this, but I have no idea where to begin. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate some very specific, step by step directions.

Many thanks in advance!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »

1. Download Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/?lang=en
2. Install the program.
3. Follow these instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZjaTebJVPA
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:13:50 PM by Michał » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »

1. Download Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/?lang=en
2. Install the program.
3. Follow these instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZjaTebJVPA

Thanks. I downloaded the Audacity, but have no idea what to do after that. The youtube video wasn't much help.

-Where do I plug in my microphone?
-Do I need to record onto a cd, or can I record straight to my hard drive and then transfer it later to cd?
-Do I need any type of adapter for my microphone?

I am very ignorant about this and really need some step by step instructions. Embarrassed

Thank you.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:08:27 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »

Thanks. I downloaded the Audacity, but have no idea what to do after that. The youtube video wasn't much help.

-Where do I plug in my microphone?
-Do I need to record onto a cd, or can I record straight to my hard drive and then transfer it later to cd?
-Do I need any type of adapter for my microphone?

When it comes to plugging things into the back of a (PC) tower, some (most?) of the new PC's that I've seen have things color coded. There is probably also a little image showing a microphone and whatnot, if you are in a position to look at that area. There is also perhaps a plug-in place in the front of the tower where you could plug in your mic, if you plan on just using it temporarily. If the mic is designed for use with a computer you won't need an adapter, but if you are using a mic that normally plugs into a standard amp, you will probably need a converter similar to this, which you should be able to get at an eletronics or music store. Regarding recording, you can record and then burn onto a CD what you want.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:24:28 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

Also what sort of guitar?  Do you have an acoustic you just want to mic in, or is it an electric?  If the latter you can jack in from your amp's output into the microphone jack on your computer using an 1/4 inch-1/8th inch converter (which would also be useful for your microphone).

For vocals and acoustic guitar there is also the possibility of a USB microphone, the Rock Band mic (for the video game) actually works decently and would plug in to your USB port.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »

What I'm trying to do is record my amplified acoustic guitar. I want to record it like I would if I were recording onto a simple tape recorder. I'm using a stomp box loop station as well. I'm not too worried about background noise, since I figure the amplified guitar will drown everything else out. I just want to know what's simplest and easiest.

I tried plugging my mic into the front of the computer in the output right beneath the headphones output. The mic seemed to fit in there, but I couldn't get anything to happen after that.

Thanks.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:37:40 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »

If you are using Windows 7, try clicking on the little sound/speaker icon on the right side of the task bar. Then click on "System Sounds," and see if you can change anything on your mic settings from there to get it to work...? Also, if you click on the "speakers" button you can change your mic levels, perhaps they are set low...? If you aren't using Windows 7, I suppose you'll still have similar options, just maybe not with those specific names. I have Audacity (1.3.12 Beta), but I don't see anywhere that you can mess around with the mic settings there (except the minimal volume controls)... if all else fails, maybe look around the control panel for potential solutions...?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »

If you are using Windows 7, try clicking on the little sound/speaker icon on the right side of the task bar. Then click on "System Sounds," and see if you can change anything on your mic settings from there to get it to work...? Also, if you click on the "speakers" button you can change your mic levels, perhaps they are set low...? If you aren't using Windows 7, I suppose you'll still have similar options, just maybe not with those specific names. I have Audacity (1.3.12 Beta), but I don't see anywhere that you can mess around with the mic settings there (except the minimal volume controls)... if all else fails, maybe look around the control panel for potential solutions...?

Thanks. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens. Gonna give it a rest for now though. Thanks for the help! Smiley

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: