OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:23:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Improving Catechumenates  (Read 481 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 07, 2010, 04:57:43 AM »

In what ways could we improve the process that catechumens go through, either on the parish or on the Church-wide level? Should something be put in place (local) Church-wide? Should each parish be left to their own devices? If you would go with something more formalized, what would it look like (ie. what elements would it have, what would it emphasise, etc.)? Would doing something akin to the RCIA of the Roman Catholics help or hurt?

Large Marge sent me...
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:45:13 AM »

speaking as someone seeking to enter the orthodox church (currently attending Liturgy and learning as much as possible) I think more correspondance, either between the priest of the parish or someone the priest knows who knows orthodoxy. Especially for those who live far away from an orthodox church "Cough" Myself "cough"
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »

Ya, the process at our parish is pretty informal. There isn't a process for inititiating someone into the catechumenate, and the oversight is minimal. As long as we attend the catechesis sessions, we are pretty much left to our own devices.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »

The Catechumate at my church is pretty "lax" once somebody is enrolled as a catechumen there is no formal process we have four catechumen class in the fall and four in the spring non of which are mandatory  and we are encouraged to meet with the priest often and attend liturgy as much as possible. Then when the priest and the catechumen decide that he is ready the catechumen will set a date for reciving the Holy Mysteries. I think that formalized processes like the RCIA are to inpersonal and don't deal with peoples needs on an individual basis.

Thats just my two cents

Pray for me,
David 

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »

The only thing I wish I had is a expose' of the Liturgy. . .something that has the Liturgies through out the year explained from prayer to prayer and all the prayers in order so that I really understood every piece of the Liturgy and why this comes next or what actually always comes next. . . and why it happens in such a way. 

Everything else?  I have more access to my faith than I've had in any other faith tradition. . . RC . . .Protestant. . . and I'm blown away by all of it, it's wonderful.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:11:37 PM »

It would be good for the Church to monitor how many people are interested in converting, actually do, and then stay active over many years. This way the actions of individual Priests can be compared to determine what are "best practices" for Catechumenates. And also catch the converts that get lost in the shuffle of changing Priests or those who may need a call or postcard to bring them back.

This would also be a good process to follow in regards to our college students as they graduate and relocate and also our young people in the armed forces. I only attended St Vasilios in Newport, NH a few times while I was in college but it was very nice to have an invitation extended to me.
Tags: Catechumenate 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: