OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:30:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Sin  (Read 1058 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« on: October 06, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »

Does the Coptic church take a stand closer to the Western churches?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:47 PM »

I've been told that the OO's are closer to the EO's in our understanding of original sin and that we reject the Western concept.  I can't quote any official sources, though.  It's just what I've been told.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:21:25 PM by Salpy » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »

I think both the Byzantine and Oriental doctrines of the ancestral curse are essentially based off of Saint Athanasius (in On the Incarnation), so it would be hard to understand why the Oriental position would be more Western.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:54:35 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ioannes

Faith: Orthodox

The end is now.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:21 AM »

No. We inherit a fallen nature, hence we die. If all sin is cleansed in a mother and father and they have a child then they would not pass down the sin, since they were cleansed of it. So it does not make sense.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:41:49 AM »

No. We inherit a fallen nature, hence we die. If all sin is cleansed in a mother and father and they have a child then they would not pass down the sin, since they were cleansed of it. So it does not make sense.

I'm highly skeptical of the orthodoxy of your conception of the fallen nature you describe here.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:51:37 AM »

I'm highly skeptical of the orthodoxy of your conception of the fallen nature you describe here.

How unorthodox is inheriting a fallen nature? Read St. John Chrysostom's homilies on Genesis and One the Human Condition by St. Basil and then tell me how skeptical you are of its Orthodoxy.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »

How unorthodox is inheriting a fallen nature? Read St. John Chrysostom's homilies on Genesis and One the Human Condition by St. Basil and then tell me how skeptical you are of its Orthodoxy.

No no. You don't understand. There is nothing unorthodox about inheriting a fallen nature. Rather, I think your conception of the fallen nature is too soft.

Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »

Explain.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »

Explain.

For one thing, you seem to chalk up the fallen nature simply to physical death, which is far from the reality of how the doctrine of the ancestral curse is described in its foundational work, On the Incarnation, by Saint Athanasius. Rather, there is a spiritual death which results from losing the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and communion with God; physical death is merely a consequence of this spiritual death.

For another, saying that a child born of two Baptized individuals would not inherit the ancestral curse is not an opinion I have ever heard advanced and sounds rather unorthodox, as it would negate the necessity of infant Baptism for that individual.

Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »

deusveritasest, I am sorry to inform you but you completely misunderstood what I said, or maybe I was not clear enough. I did not equate inheriting the fallen nature as only death, more less HENCE we die, meaning as one of the things we inherit and NOT sin.

LOL and I said that two parents being baptized would negate original sin in an infant, AGAINST the RCC view of original sin as opposed to fallen nature. If you want me to go into detail to the point where I recite "On the incarnation" and "On the human condition" I apologize I cannot do that, I dont have the time.

I tried to be as brief as possible "hence we die", clearly does not encompass all of our inherited fallen nature. Sorry for apparently doing a terrible job explaining it.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:31:26 AM »

deusveritasest, I am sorry to inform you but you completely misunderstood what I said, or maybe I was not clear enough. I did not equate inheriting the fallen nature as only death, more less HENCE we die, meaning as one of the things we inherit and NOT sin.

Well, this is not really what I was attempting to criticize and is largely semantic, but I feel it worth pointing out. "Sin" in a more Patristic and traditional sense is understood as any way in which we miss the mark of what God intends for us; this can include missing the mark in simply the condition of our being. As such, the ancestral curse was often referred to as a sinful condition, even though it is not a matter of personal sin, stain, or guilt. Many on here avoiding referring to the ancestral curse as sinful because they fall into the error essentially of only regarding sin as an action.

LOL and I said that two parents being baptized would negate original sin in an infant, AGAINST the RCC view of original sin as opposed to fallen nature.

They would still inherit "original sin", if by this we mean ancestral sin, which means the ancestral curse. At least we have not been given any reason to think otherwise. All the children of Christians through the centuries have still had to be Baptized because it has been understood that they inherit ancestral sin.

Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »

I believe that! That was a comparison that I was trying to make, I thought I elaborated on it well but apparently not.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »

Huh. Ok...

Tags: Original Sin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: